• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Jrichker Tech Database?

  • Thread starter Thread starter chuzie
  • Start date Start date Aug 2, 2014
C

chuzie

Member
Jul 22, 2011
95
0
7
Aug 2, 2014
#1
  • Aug 2, 2014
  • #1
Hey jrichker, do you have a central location for all those awesome troubleshooting guides you post all the time? I see the "no start" and "idle reset" are posted in the technical index but I know there is a lot more such as the detailed explanations and steps for different codes etc.

If so, can you please point me in the right direction? I would like to download that stuff on my phone for quick reference when offline.

Thx.
 

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
In Remembrance. Thank you for your contributions
Mar 10, 2000
27,512
2,813
234
Dublin GA
Aug 3, 2014
#2
  • Aug 3, 2014
  • #2
Sorry, but because the tech stuff gets updated when it is needed, there is no fixed database of tech notes. The job of keeping a tech database updated on some offsite server every time I revised something is a bit too time consuming for me.

I spent a fair amount of time updating the tech notes that reside on my computer because new information keeps coming in and links to pictures and other sites quit working.

When you see a tech note that I post, you will often see this:
Revised date - month-year to include (whatever the change is)
That is a clue to the date the tech note was written or last revised. It helps make people aware that there have been changes made, and that there could be a newer version
 
C

chuzie

Member
Jul 22, 2011
95
0
7
Aug 3, 2014
#3
  • Aug 3, 2014
  • #3
Gotcha. I don't mind you giving me full remote access to your computer. ;-)

Thanks for info.
 

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,415
21,620
234
Box behind Walmart
Aug 3, 2014
#4
  • Aug 3, 2014
  • #4
I've tried on several occasions to get @jrichker to try building and maintaining even ONE resource in the resource section of this forum.

You know... just to see how it operates and how easy/difficult it will be to maintain.

To date, he's not taken me up on that.

Lemme know if you ever get around to wanting to try it jr. I'll ensure that you have as much control over the resource section as I have.

Could be better that what you currently do or it may not be (once you get used to it). Might be worth a shot though.
 

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
In Remembrance. Thank you for your contributions
Mar 10, 2000
27,512
2,813
234
Dublin GA
Aug 3, 2014
#5
  • Aug 3, 2014
  • #5
Not likely to happen. I am a full time computer support tech for a government agency. Computer security is very near and dear to me...
 

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,415
21,620
234
Box behind Walmart
Aug 3, 2014
#6
  • Aug 3, 2014
  • #6
jrichker said:
Not likely to happen. I am a full time computer support tech for a government agency. Computer security is very near and dear to me...
Click to expand...


We engage in similar activities.

In this case, it's the scale that differs.
 
Last edited: Aug 3, 2014

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
In Remembrance. Thank you for your contributions
Mar 10, 2000
27,512
2,813
234
Dublin GA
Aug 3, 2014
#7
  • Aug 3, 2014
  • #7
Noobz347 said:
I've tried on several occasions to get @jrichker to try building and maintaining even ONE resource in the resource section of this forum.

You know... just to see how it operates and how easy/difficult it will be to maintain.

To date, he's not taken me up on that.

Lemme know if you ever get around to wanting to try it jr. I'll ensure that you have as much control over the resource section as I have.

Could be better that what you currently do or it may not be (once you get used to it). Might be worth a shot though.
Click to expand...

The trouble is that I don't know when links or sites quit working until I post a tech note and then see that it shows up as a bad link. Lately, that seems to be at work or just before it's time to close down and get ready to go to bed.

All the stuff I post from work runs off a read only DVD. It seems lately that is were most of my Stangnet time is spent. I can't write to the DVD because computer network security disables the DVD write function to keep data from walking out the door.

The time spent spot editing the DVD saved documents when the links go bad gives me some clue as to the amount of time and data I would need to keep up to date on an offsite server.
 

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,415
21,620
234
Box behind Walmart
Aug 3, 2014
#8
  • Aug 3, 2014
  • #8
jrichker said:
The trouble is that I don't know when links or sites quit working until I post a tech note and then see that it shows up as a bad link. Lately, that seems to be at work or just before it's time to close down and get ready to go to bed.

All the stuff I post from work runs off a read only DVD. It seems lately that is were most of my Stangnet time is spent. I can't write to the DVD because computer network security disables the DVD write function to keep data from walking out the door.

The time spent changing the DVD saved documents when the links go bad gives me some clue as to the amount of time and data I would need to keep up to date on an offsite server.
Click to expand...


Here we have a slightly different approach.

First, the actual server is shielded from the WWW through a service called cloudflare. It is a proxy of the actual server. There are no requests made of the server from internet users... Zero.

All requests are made of the proxy service that's clones responses from the server.

The server itself can only be modified by a few number of accounts. Even those changes have oversight and are backed up (they are reversible).

The ENTIRE server is backed up regularly (more regular than what you might expect).

Copies of files that are uploaded to our servers are kept in multiple locations. There is no ONE source that can be compromised that can cause the server to respond differently from the user's perspective.

Everything is permissions based. The same mechanisms that protect staff forums protect every other forum and resource on the server. If you've not seen the staff forums, it's because the permissions were designed that way. If you CAN see the staff forums (by what ever means you chose), then let me know.

I'm not saying that you should have blind faith. I'm just saying that you might give ONE instance a shot and see how well it might or might not work for you. It would require some alteration in how you're used to doing things (obviously, things will be different).

If you give an honest try and don't like it, you'll never hear from me about it again (unless there's some big update to something you said you didn't like where that point in negated).

Stuff that is actually LOADED to this server doesn't become a dead link. The stuff that DOES is the stuff that is hosted off-site and the destination of said link becomes invalid. This is a departure what you became accustomed to on legacy StangNet. It's something that Mike and I have discussed at LENGTH before opening up the server's ability to host these materials on it's own. Since that implementation, a lot of work has gone into securing it. Additional security is implemented as it becomes available and is tested to be reliable. The advantage that StangNet has is that is that we're small (server relatively speaking) and can implement measures much easier and faster than large scale servers.

In a nut shell, there's a lot of interwoven layers working to ensure that data isn't arbitrarily lost.

What's more (and I would need to check on implementation) is that I believe that additional backups of SPECIFICALLY resources that you submit, can be sent to another off-site location at regular intervals or even sent to storage that can be designated by you. So copies of your resources can still be kept on hand for when the zombies come.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Electrical Innovate PSB-1 is DOA? Am I an idiot? All plausable. Please Help
  • Dontknowchit
  • Apr 26, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
576
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 26, 2025
Dontknowchit
R
1994 GT 5.0L crank no start
  • Red1994MustangGT
  • Apr 15, 2025
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
  • 2
Replies
23
Views
1K
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech Aug 19, 2025
Kurt_MO
K
X
Free VE Table Corrections — Drop Your MSQ and a Datalog, I'll Do the Rest
  • X-cam34
  • Apr 12, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
  • 2 3
Replies
49
Views
2K
Digital Self-tuning Forum Aug 26, 2026
X-cam34
X
READ ME FIRST - Noobz busts it down for Noobs
  • Noobz347
  • May 16, 2025
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
0
Views
121
The Welcome Wagon May 16, 2025
Noobz347
J
89 2.3 LX running rich, hesitation on acceleration, high and hanging idle Help!
  • jpstucky
  • Jun 13, 2023
  • 2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech
Replies
4
Views
3K
2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech Jun 15, 2023
jpstucky
J
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?