Junior's Dad Messed Up Again With The Cars...

Junior's Dad

Aug 13, 2017
Hello :) found you guys on Google. I am joining up here because my 16 year old recently purchased a 2004 Ford Mustang. He has been working his tail off lifeguarding and saved up about 2000 bones. And he's chomping at the bit. I mean, he wants something, and something cool, and soon. So anyway, after waving him off a few 25 year old Oldsmo-Buicks, and an 89 Bonneville, we ran into this Mustang at a junkyard. I drove it, and it rumbled nicely, and it was fun to drive, so, guy says 1450, then 1250. We bring her home. Can't get her safety passed, check engine light, so I replace an oxygen sensor, then we take it in to a shop to have them give her the once-over, and it ain't good. A list of things to do, nothing too scary, but extensive. It's not street legal, and it almost seemed like the mechanic was disgusted by the her! No catalytic converters. So, it was bad, son and wife ticked off at me, and I'm already in the doghouse for the ever-weakening used Nissan Leaf I got us into (which I still love):). So I have seen the shops estimates for installing the converters, pretty expensive, cutting, welding, and all that. My question is, it may be a dumb one, but is there a way that I can just replace the whole component of the exhaust system, which would include the converters, which would be simply unbolting and bolting? That we could do and that would be cost effective? Thanks for your time!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

.....My question is, it may be a dumb one, but is there a way that I can just replace the whole component of the exhaust system, which would include the converters, which would be simply unbolting and bolting? That we could do and that would be cost effective? Thanks for your time!
@Junior's Dad
Try Rock Auto or PartsGeek, I have seen the complete exhaust system, with cats, for my '04 Explorer, not cheap, ~ $400 or so, bolt-in at exhaust manifolds and inlet to muffler at rear. imp

As far as brand new just go to american muscle or other reputable company and buy a new h or x pipe with cats. It will be a direct replacement and slightly benefit the vehicle performance. If you paid 1250 and it's a good car just throw a few hundred at it to make it right especially if replacement parts can be subbed for performance. For example if you need a mid pipe get a nice h or x, if you need an air filter grab a k&n or cold air intake etc. These are very cheap to repair and modify. As far as bolt and unbolt it should be fine if you spray all bolts with penetrating lube and let it soak. I just did a cat back on my all original 04 GT and the last bolt broke and stripped and had to be cut off but hardware is literally pennies on the dollar so no big deal.

Reactions: 1 users
As far as brand new just go to american muscle or other reputable company and buy a new h or x pipe with cats. It will be a direct replacement and slightly benefit the vehicle performance. If you paid 1250 and it's a good car just throw a few hundred at it to make it right especially if replacement parts can be subbed for performance. For example if you need a mid pipe get a nice h or x, if you need an air filter grab a k&n or cold air intake etc. These are very cheap to repair and modify. As far as bolt and unbolt it should be fine if you spray all bolts with penetrating lube and let it soak. I just did a cat back on my all original 04 GT and the last bolt broke and stripped and had to be cut off but hardware is literally pennies on the dollar so no big deal.[/QUOTE]
@blackgt460
In my case, my '04 4.0L SOHC (Explorer), saying it needs new cats (164,000 miles), the fasteners, nuts on the studs at manifolds, bolts at flanged connection of front of muffler, have no flats left, they are ROUND from rusting away. So, I'm procrastinating. Believe the original Y-pipe is S/S, not at all sure about wire-feed welding the stuff. Torch, no way. In any event it will have to be cut apart. UGH! imp

A lot of people take the stock exhaust system off for aftermarket. You may find a complete one cheap or go back to the junkyard for another. Another option is to cut cats into the system already on the car. My son's Cobra had Magnaflow cut in cats with compression sleeves and passed emissions in our really strict laws.

PS...if you are on Facebook...join this page. There is a stock exhaust system on there. Not sure where you are but you might get lucky.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/344201172348045/

Last edited:
Join a few local Facebook groups for Mustangs, and put a feeler out there for s stock H-pipe to swap onto the car.

BTW, 2004 GT for $1250 is a good price no matter what's wrong with it.