Junkyard MAF hunt

larrendeuce

Sep 13, 2003
Southern NJ
Does anyone know what MAF's we can use from other ford cars? I went to the junkyard with a friend we pulled a 75mm out of a 2nd gen mn12 thunderbird, he replaced his electronics from his maf and it works pretty good. I wanted to know other cars we can take a bigger maf out of. I saw a 80mm out of a van but it bolts to the airbox instead of being clamped. There are no mustangs in any of the junkyards around me, there's gotta be some other cars with 19lb injectors. I mostly saw grey on the v6's. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Big :notnice: on doing this. MAF's are specifically designed for each different car. If it's a Thunderbird MAF then it belong's on a Thunderbird. A car's computer is designed to work with the factory installed MAF. By swapping them around, your comptuter won't get correct air/fuel readings. Forget the junkyard idea and do it the right way by getting a calibrated MAF that will work on your specific car.....in other words get something aftermarket like a Pro-M.

i think he was saying he just wants to use the shell of the maf...not the entire thing. he said his friend switched over all the electronics. so it would basically be like getting a 75 mm pro-m. sounds like a good idea to me. i might have to check into that

Here is a link: http://www.pro-flow.com/old files/apchart.htm

Looking at the stock 88-93 MAF, the Pro M curve is 19, for 19lb injectors. All you need to do is find another mass air that has the same curve and is set up for 19lb injectors. It will work fine then. For instance, I am getting a mass air sensor from my buddies 94 GT. It has the same pro m curve and is set up for 19lb injectors, however it is 70mm compared to the stock 55mm.

Heh I just did the same thing like 2 weeks ago.

What I did was search for 4.6 motors, I found a Police Car with what looks like a 80mm MAF (it's HUGE), actually I got two of them! Sure they're rectangular BUT with some skillful sawing and sanding (these were plastic or whatever), I got mine to squeeze into my stock air tube & box. I didn't find any injectors (24lb supposely) so I just reused my MAF sensor and it looks like my car is a bit faster. :D

If you're gonna do this .... saw off the rectangular tabs with a hacksaw & make it as round as possible. I used a hacksaw, a file, a dremel, and sandpaper. I also ported the big ugly plastic piece in the middle since it appears to do nothing but block air. My friend pointed out to knock out the backing in the tube where the MAF sensor actually gets air. (You'll see what I mean). Also I couldn't get that metal clamp ring to squeeze back on but the new MAF was such a squeeze that I didn't need it, lol. Oh and since it was black plastic, after I was done it looked completely stock, bonus if your trying to hide your mods. ;)

I think I should do a online tutorial on this and other cheap tricks like this to get power, I know I was searching for something like this. PM if you need any more details.