Just a lil curious.

I always hear the 4.6 being called the modular motor and naturally the 5.0 being the pushrod. A buddy of mine at work whom owns a 03 cobra we always give each other a lil **** talk here and there and he asked about if there was ever a modular 5.0 I said I don't think theyve made one but it both kinda made us curious if there ever was. Which also brought us to wonder what exactly is the diffrence between the pushrod style motors and the modular. So if anyone is willing to brush us up on some knowledge and give a little schoolin it would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

there's a lot of differences in a mod motor and a pushrod motor. i'm assuming you know the basics of how a pushrod motor works; the main difference in a mod motor is it has overhead cams as opposed to a single in-block cam. sohc has a single cam per head and dohc has 2 cams per head, one cam for intake valves, one for exhaust valves. and yes there is a 5.0 modular motor. the 5.0 dohc 'Cammer' motor. http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=6787

Black87 I did see 5.0 motor in a 07 style mustang at a car show that was here in january last year asking price was 65k I forget the name of the company that was producing it though. Thanks for the info and all that stuff on the pushrod and mod motor comparison.

I believe the '99 FR500's used a 5.0L DOHC (which was just a poked version of the 4.6L) before the release of the FRPP "Cammer"....although they never made it a production vehicle.

fr500rustya.jpg

mustang-fr500_11.jpg

p31435_large+Ford_Mustang_FR500+Engine.jpg

p31440_large+Ford_Mustang_FR500+Engine.jpg

Under the hood:
A 4.6-liter, 4V aluminum block, enlarged to 5.0-liter displacement by using spray bore technology.
High-flow 4-valve cylinder heads with more radical cam profiles
Variable geometry magnesium intake manifold
Dual 80mm mass air sensors
Dual 70 mm throttle bodies
High-flow stainless steel tubular headers

Performance :
415 horsepower @ 6800 rpm
4.6-second 0 to 60 time
12.7-second quarter mile
Top speed is about 175 mph
Performance numbers gained on street tires

More info on the car here....http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/4272_ford_racing_fr500_prototype/index.html

Of all the different models available on the new Mustang, the PJ Saleen is my favorite. Not just because of the motor but the whole package. I could do without the line through the headlights and I'm still not sold on window louvers but this is one clean car imo. I won't be affording one anytime soon but one can dream. :(

Specs

205993.jpg

205994.jpg