Just Bought A 2004 Mustang Gt Got A Question

clutch cable.JPG
Ive never owned a 1999-2004 GT and not shure if you can adjust clutch cable by simply pulling up and back of clutch peddle and letting go. the clutch is right on floor and id prefer it to be somewhere close to middle. anyone? glad to be back on the right side. just sold my corvette and wrecked 2006 350z to buy this 40th anvir mustang GT with 89k miles with few bolt ons. god I missed ford. hate opti sparks they make baby jesus cry.

• Sponsors (?)

Ive searched a few post. some people say lift up on back of clutch peddle till it clicks. but all the posts either dont say what year the car is or its not my year model car. the clutch peddle is right as you start to release the peddle and cause me to grind gears. could someone with a 2004 model tell me how to correctly adjust the clutch? also is the clutch hydrolic? some clutches ive seen share the break fluid container. and mine was real low.had air in it.

Your clutch for the 2004 should be a hydraulic clutch. I got a 2001 gt convertible and its a hydraulic clutch. The only way to adjust those is to have them adjust themselves. I would personally just buy a new clutch if it can't be adjusted anymore. The way you can tell is if you put it in 4th gear and slowly take your foot off of the clutch and once it dies you smell something, your clutch is gone. You can also tell if its done by checking how high up your pedal is. If it's a tough one to push on and it pushes in far, then its probably shot. I go to American Muscle . Com to buy all of my clutches. Excedy and Steeda make some pretty good clutches imo.

They were cable operated clutches up to 2004. You should be able to pull up on the pedal to make the adjustment UNLESS someone replaced the quadrant with an aftermarket one. There is also a hydraulic conversion kit for these cars, but I've never seen one done.

hmm, well I dont know what im doing wrong its def a stock clutch cable. I pulled forward on back of peddle real hard but no click noise. the clutch is right on bottom soon as you start to realease the peddle it dis engages. causing me to grind gears. in first sometimes when I go to take off it start cause the car to jerk bad and I have to shift into second to make it stop. dont know whats going on never had a 2004 GT never had this happen.

ya I tried pulling up on clutch cable with no luck. not shure what Im doing wrong its def the stock clutch cable though.

On my 99 I tried doing that to "adjust" it but mine never worked either. I just figured it was already in its optimal position. I ended up getting a Steeda quadrant, adjustable cable, and firewall adjuster. Its not too expensive and not too difficult to install. Some people complain about the steeda adjustable cables breaking, but I haven't had any issues in well over a year.

My GT is an 04. It definitely has a cable clutch in stock form. To adjust the pedal pressure location is complicated to describe. Go under the dash put one hand above the pedal and work the pedal with the other hand. Feel around above the pedal until you feel an arm of sorts that pivots with the pedal. With the pedal to the floor grab that arm and pull the pedal upward until you hear the clicks. There are multiple clicks that adjust to different positions. Once you gain a picture of how it works, you may want to do the adjustment using your feet. Propping one foot behind the arm, under the dash, and lifting the pedal with the other foot. Its difficult to put into words but assuming the system has not been converted to hydraulic, it will work.

The car has almost 90,000 miles on it and depending on how the clutch was treated, the adjustable mechanism may be out of space to adjust itself. It may be getting time for a new clutch. Also, the cable could be stretched causing the adjustment space to be used up prematurely. Is the clutch pedal really hard ? If so it may be time for a new clutch.

I would consider replacing the clutch cable and stock quadrent with an aftermarket adjuster and quadrent as well as a new OEM cable as a first step. I like the UPR adjuster the best so far of all the ones I've see. Don't get the Maximum Motorports adjuster, I have it and I'm going to be replacing it with the UPR unit. The MM, UPR and Steeda quadrents are all decent. I will say that I have seen the UPR quadrents brake where the cable attaches.

I know on my Mach 1 I reached the end of the adjustment and my dad's Bullitt did as well.

I have seen the shuddering in first gear you described happen when the clutch doesn't smoothly engage. Usually clutching out and back in will solve it. If you clutch adjustment is bad and cauasing you rough engagements on a consistent basis, I'd again say either replace the stock unit with a firewall adjuster or maybe it is time for a new clutch.

If it's the stock clutch quadrant as well as stock cable, you could have a crack in the stock plastic clutch quadrant that is just waiting to let go and leave you clutchless. Do what was said about getting under there with your hands, then using your feet, but if it feels like the cable is already on the tightest click, that means you're about to crack the stock plastic piece and you should order a new and preferably metal quadrant from the aftermarket asap.