just bought my first mustang help

pattywatty725

Jan 10, 2011
alright im kinda getting scared i over paid for this 96 mustang gt its a first car and i just need some help i picked it up for 1800$ about a week ago drove it home and noticed some things the speedo is off it has a vac leak and the seat wont move back and fourth just up and down ... other than that the guy told me it has a sticky lifter in which i kinda heard on the way home didnt do it for about 15 mins then cruizing on the highway at about 3k rpms it started to tick or rattle i let off the gas it stops get back on the gas it doesnt do it for about 15 seconds then starts again does it sound like a sticky lifter to you guys and if so what do you think its going to cost to get it fixed ive never had a mustang before and thought it sounded like a deal with 108k miles

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think that 4.6L's have lifters (someone correct me if I am wrong). Does it have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge so you can see what is going on? Check the oil level, and consider changing the oil too.

alright im kinda getting scared i over paid for this 96 mustang gt its a first car and i just need some help i picked it up for 1800$ about a week ago drove it home and noticed some things the speedo is off...

The car probably has had the rear gears changed at some point but the speedo drive gear in the trans was never updated.

it has a vac leak...

Symptoms?

If it's really a vacuum leak a simple inspection of all the vacuum lines leading to the plenum and the duct from the MAF to the throttle body should reveal the problem.

and the seat wont move back and fourth just up and down...

I assume it's a power seat: Check the fuses. The seat may have been unplugged at some point (e.g. while being removed for a stereo install) and never plugged back in again. Start with the simple stuff...

other than that the guy told me it has a sticky lifter in which i kinda heard on the way home didnt do it for about 15 mins then cruizing on the highway at about 3k rpms it started to tick or rattle i let off the gas it stops get back on the gas it doesnt do it for about 15 seconds then starts again does it sound like a sticky lifter to you guys...

This doesn't sound like a typical hydraulic lash adjuster (i.e. "lifter") The valvetrain isn't really aware of engine load (accel, coast, overrun etc) and so the noise of a stuck HLA is usually independent of things like letting "off the gas."

Get (borrow or buy) an automotive stethoscope and try to isolate the noise to the top or bottom and left or right of the engine.

and if so what do you think its going to cost to get it fixed ive never had a mustang before and thought it sounded like a deal with 108k miles

If the motor is in any way hurt I'd simply replace it. 4.6L modular engines are a dime a dozen and aren't that expensive. You could probably upgrade to a later-model "PI" -- 260HP versus the 215 rating of your current engine (assuming it's OE) -- cheaper than it would take to repair the current engine if it is something more serious than a sticking HLA.

thanks for the input guys i really hope i didnt get burned i dont think its electrical for the seat because it makes noise when u try just wont move and no it doesnt have a aftermarket oil pressure gauge im really hoping its just a lifter for the engine im not worried to much about the vac leak just kinda scares me about the ticking noice after driving it for about 15 mins ...other than that im not to worry about everything else

thanks for the input guys i really hope i didnt get burned i dont think its electrical for the seat because it makes noise when u try just wont move...

Ah, just re-read the OP and see you can move up & down, just not fore and aft.

You might want to inspect the seat tracks for debris (like coins etc) jammed in there. Weird that it won't move in either direction...

Ah, just re-read the OP and see you can move up & down, just not fore and aft.

You might want to inspect the seat tracks for debris (like coins etc) jammed in there. Weird that it won't move in either direction...

yeah i will check for that in the morning before i drop it off at the shop i bought a set of flowmasters for it today for 100 bucks i feel like it was a good deal so far i am 1900 in on it and long as the engine is bad i think ill be okay the body is all good paint is just faded

I have a 96 GT and my seat did the same thing, I just took the seat out, cleaned all the screw mechanisms, and re greased them. Worked until I got a great deal on a complete set of leather seats out of a 01 GT..