Just curious what does a worn out Tranny feel like

what does a tranny feel like if its about to blow? Im not really talking about grinding gears if the synchros are fine. I dont know if its just me or in my head but my 3rd gear feels like shiet. I just had a new clucth put it so im still breaking it in and havent been able to get on.

• Sponsors (?)

I don' think there is a specific set of symptoms because the trans can fail in so many spots.

It will pop out of gear due to bad blocker rings. It will grind going into and out of gears. With the shifter in neutral, you can feel a slight vibration or grinding through the shifter handle. It will make funny noises. It'll be hard to get into gear. You could bust the input shaft driving it hard. You could separate the shafts driving it hard. Those are just a few.....

Joe

Most of the stock T5 I've driven usually feel nasty shifting into 3rd. I think it's from bent/stressed shift forks due to a lack of a possitive shift stop. Get an aftermarket shifter and see if that helps.

Soupy said:
Most of the stock T5 I've driven usually feel nasty shifting into 3rd. I think it's from bent/stressed shift forks due to a lack of a possitive shift stop. Get an aftermarket shifter and see if that helps.

i have a steeda triax, how much damage does a bent shift fork do? does it get expensive? And sometimes right b4 i put it in a gear, i feel it hesistates going into gear

Soupy said:

A shifter won't do anything to help after the forks are bent. All it'll do is keep the forks from bending any further.

igotyofire said:
i have a steeda triax, how much damage does a bent shift fork do? does it get expensive? And sometimes right b4 i put it in a gear, i feel it hesistates going into gear

The hesitation going into gear is likely due to worn synchros. Don't even bother to worry about them until they start grinding though.

Replacing clutch forks can get pretty expensive. The entire case has to be split and all the guts removed. The price would be similar to a rebuild and if you do have the fork replaced, have the tranny rebuilt while they're in there.

With that said, don't waste any money on rebuilding a stock T5 unless you plan to stay at fairly moderate power levels. If you're planning on running some decent power and putting some sticky tires on there, I'd suggest saving some money up and buying something in a beefier flavor.