Just get a clicking noise when I try to start

• Sponsors (?)

Here's a checklist:

Since some of the tests will bypass the safety interlocks, make sure that the car is in neutral and the parking brake is set. Becoming a pancake isn’t part of the repair process…

Check battery, terminal connections, ground, starter relay switch (also known as solenoid) and starter in that order.

A voltmeter is handy if you are familiar with how to use it to find bad connections. Measure the voltage drop across a connection: more than .5 volts across a connection indicates a problem.
See http://www.fluke.com/application_notes/automotive/circuit.asp?AGID=1&SID=103 for help
fig-7.gif

1.) Will the car start if it is jumped? Then clean battery terminals and check battery.

2.) Check the battery to engine block ground, and the ground behind the engine to the firewall.

3.) Jump the big terminals on the starter relay next to the battery with a screwdriver - watch out for the sparks! If the engine cranks, the starter and power wiring is good. The starter relay is also known as a starter solenoid.

4.) Then pull the small push on connector (red wire) off the starter relay (Looks like it is stuck on a screw). Then jump between the screw and the terminal that is connected to the battery. If it starts, the relay is good and your problem is in the rest of the circuit.

5.) Remember to check the ignition switch, neutral safety switch on auto trans and the clutch safety switch on manual trans cars. If they are good, then you have wiring problems. See http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d80195963.gif for 88-90 year cars .OR see http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d80195964.gif for 91-93 year cars. See http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/1d/db/3c/0900823d801ddb3c.jsp for 94-95 model cars.

6.) The starter may be hung, loosen up the bolts that hold it on, and give it a good whack with a big hammer. Tighten up the bolts and try again.

7.) If that doesn't work, use a jumper cable from the positive lead on the battery direct to the starter post where the big wire from the relay connects. If it cranks then, it is the power wire from the relay gone bad. This will be hard to do, since there isn't much room to do it.

8.) Pull the starter and take it to Autozone or Pep Boys and have them test it. Starter fails test, then replace it. If you got this far, the starter is probably bad.

Jughead said:
Starter is 1 month old. I have lights.

First happened 2 days ago when in PARK. Click, click. I put it into neutral and it started right up. Yesterday, neutral didn't work either.

Battery jump did nothing.
Follow the checklist: everything you need is in it.

had this happen to my car when I got it out of storage 2 weeks ago. it had lights but not much else. it fired the first time but died after a few seconds then on the next try...tick, tick, tick, tick from the solenoid. tried using a batt. charger which didn't work. I couldn't jump it since I had the wifes HHR so I pulled the batt. and ran to Murrays. battery tested bad so I replaced it and it started right up.

Jughead said:
Well I went out this morning and guess what??? It starts right up???:shrug:

I just went through this with my car and truck actually. There are afew things you need to check. Does the starter switch have power when the key is turned? Can you run a wire from the battery to the starter switch and it will start? It could be the battery, ignition switch, clutch switch, neutral safety switch, starter switch or the starter itself is no good. When exactly does it make the clicking sound?

The car was the neutral safety switch didnt get plugged in after i put the tranny back in. My trucks problem was the starter, both made the same clicking sound.

My 93 is doing the same. I am to the point where I will remove/replace the starter. The problem is unpredictable and just letting the car sit will usually have it crank within 30 minutes or so. Has nothing to do with the car being hot or cold. I also feel the wire to the starter my be bad.

Good for you. I checked my wire connected to the starter, and and the push on connector was brittle and crumbled in my hand. I replaced that switch wire, but I am still not 100% that was the problem.