Just got a 91 LX 5.0

Nolezfan

May 8, 2006
What was the stock horsepower of this car? 225?

Mine already has a Tremec 3550 tranny, 373 gears, aluminum drive shaft and chrome headers....

Anyone know (ballpark) how many horses it should be? How would I tell for sure?

Thanks

Here's a pic:

Band011.jpg

Attachments

• Band011.jpg
    Band011.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Sponsors (?)

Nolezfan said:
What was the stock horsepower of this car? 225?

Mine already has a Tremec 3550 tranny, 373 gears, aluminum drive shaft and chrome headers....

Anyone know (ballpark) how many horses it should be? How would I tell for sure?

Thanks

Here's a pic:

Band011.jpg

Nice looking notch. Let's see Tremec tranny adds about 50hp, 3:73 gears add about 65 hp, aluminum drive shaft adds 25 hp, chrome headers adds about 250 hp, so my guess is that your right around 225 engine horsepower.

Attachments

• Band011.jpg
    Band011.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 56
Aaron'S'tang said:
Nice looking notch. Let's see Tremec tranny adds about 50hp, 3:73 gears add about 65 hp, aluminum drive shaft adds 25 hp, chrome headers adds about 250 hp, so my guess is that your right around 225 engine horsepower.

I'm not sure I follow your math....unless you are just having fun with me?

Aaaahhhh, how about you just sell it to me, I'll come down and pick it up this weekend and use it as my daily driver. Save your self time and money. JK heres mine........

100_0126.jpg

burnout22.jpg

Attachments

• 100_0126.jpg
    100_0126.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 57
  • burnout22.jpg
    burnout22.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 62
Aaron'S'tang said:
Is this your first car?

No...I had an 89 LX 5.0 that I got in 1990, but I was a poor as dirt 19 year old at the time, no money for anything cool, however, I cried like a baby when I had to get rid of it...

So, it was time for another one. Now, I have a little bit of fun money that I can play with. It needs some work on the interior, it just looks like it's 15 years old.

It was a former Highway Patrol vehicle...(which could be good or bad I guess...)

Former patrol Vehicals are the rarest of the notchs I would guess. That might be worth a bit of change but I'm not sure, I'm sure someone will chime in on that. Just don't crash it because nice notchs are hard to find. How much you pay if you don;t mind me asking?

Nolezfan said:
Ohhhh...okay. Gotcha.

What would you do to it if it were yours?

First mods should be as follows :

In order of Priority
1) Subframe connectors (SFC's) full length ones are prefered for a stiff chasis
2) Gears: 3.73:1 or 4.10:1 seem to be the popular choices
3) Full Exhuast (headers, hi-flo cats, catback +mufflers)
4) Buy a K&N panel filter (no CAI kit required) and put it in the stock box
5) Bumped timing to 12 - 14 degrees (free mod) 10 Degrees is stock.
6) Larger MAF, TB (MAF cars from 1988 california only, 1989-1993)
7) 3G alternator upgrade / electric fan
8) Fix the weak brakes

Optional MODs:

9) Strut tower brace (necessary on Convertibles IMO)
10) Underdrive pullies (they can't be used on S/C motors and cause charging problems)
11) Weight reduction out of the nose of the car
12) Shocks/Struts and lowering springs
13) C/C plates if you lower the car
14) Short throw shifter (if you have a manual transmission)

After those (the basics), it's pretty much up to you. There are plenty of Super Chargers or Heads, Cam and Intake packages to choose from.

Also, don't forget about the basic tune up
1) Changing all of the fluids (oil, coolant, trans, rear end, brake and some of the power steering)
2) Plugs: (non-platnum type) Autolite or Motorcraft are prefered
3) Oil filter: Motorcraft or equivalent (not FRAM)
4) Air filter: see first mods item #4
5) Plug wires: Ford Motorsport (FRPP) 9mm units are great
6) Cap / Rotor
7) Oxygen sensors

Enjoy!!:nice:

Send Rick91GT a check for like 10 g's and tell him you like burnouts.... :D:lol:

but seriously, sweet lookin notch, i would toss in some subrame connectors, headlights, and offroad H-pipe (or X if you prefer). then just start saving for the good stuff like heads, cam and an intake(people on her refer to as HCI's), tb, MAF, injectors, fuel pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, fuel pressure guage, new tack (or whole instrument cluster), stereo...list goes on until ur flat broke like most of us.:D. just hang around the forum on here and corral and learn. it's fun these things are EASY to make very fast.

Nolezfan said:
No...I had an 89 LX 5.0 that I got in 1990, but I was a poor as dirt 19 year old at the time, no money for anything cool, however, I cried like a baby when I had to get rid of it...

So, it was time for another one. Now, I have a little bit of fun money that I can play with. It needs some work on the interior, it just looks like it's 15 years old.

It was a former Highway Patrol vehicle...(which could be good or bad I guess...)

There's a production number thread in Tech stickys and you can find out if it really is a patrol vehicle I believe. Check it out.