just got a free engine and have a few questions???

hotwheelz

May 2, 2005
i just got a free 5.0 engine from a 1997 ford explorer, 5-speed. i want to put this engine into a mustang i have in my backyard. i have a few concerns: 1) i want to replace a few of the bolt-on parts and i need to know which performance parts would be compatible with this engine (since i know the design of the 302 changed after certain years) like which cam, headers, intake manifold, and etc... 2) my other concern is finding the right transmission to work with it, what type of t5 transmission would bolt up to this engine. By the way, i plan to run a carburator on this engine if it works out. sorry for the long post, but any help would be appreciated. i hope i can use this engine since i got it for free.

• Sponsors (?)

from what I understand that explorer engine already has gt40p heads, and a gt40 intake. Headers go well, but if you want shorties, theres a special pair that you have to buy. Mac makes them but I dont have a link. I will be selling mine in a month or so, so if your not doing this project right away Im sure we could work out a deal. I dont really know about that carburetor setup, because then you'd need a new intake manifold and all, but if its already got a gt40, you could probly sell that for an honest 250.
gl

I believe that they changed from the gt40s to the gt40ps during the 97 model year so some are gt40s some are ps. On either end of the heads there are some raised bars. If you have 3 bars the are regular gt40s if you have 4 bars they are gt40ps. Also on mine if you pull the valve cover it says gt40p up by where the pushrods come through the head. If they are P heads they need different headers due to the relocated spark plug. Some people have been able to make regular shorty headers work but they are a pain to change plugs. Much easier to get the P specific header. MAC makes a set as well as FRPP. I got my FRPP ceramic headers for 150 off ebay new.

If you were staying injected then you would need a roller cam because the HOs have a different firing order than the regular 302s but since you are going carb I am not sure how that would work. I would stay roller but that is just me.

For the intake any 302 carb intake will work since the bolt patterns haven't changed to my knowledge.

A T-5 out of any 5.0 Mustang should bolt right up.

RYC CUKR said:
I believe that they changed from the gt40s to the gt40ps during the 97 model year so some are gt40s some are ps. On either end of the heads there are some raised bars. If you have 3 bars the are regular gt40s if you have 4 bars they are gt40ps. Also on mine if you pull the valve cover it says gt40p up by where the pushrods come through the head. If they are P heads they need different headers due to the relocated spark plug. Some people have been able to make regular shorty headers work but they are a pain to change plugs. Much easier to get the P specific header. MAC makes a set as well as FRPP. I got my FRPP ceramic headers for 150 off ebay new.

If you were staying injected then you would need a roller cam because the HOs have a different firing order than the regular 302s but since you are going carb I am not sure how that would work. I would stay roller but that is just me.

For the intake any 302 carb intake will work since the bolt patterns haven't changed to my knowledge.

A T-5 out of any 5.0 Mustang should bolt right up.
the explorer cam is the same firing order, it just has less duration for more low end torque. i just put a cam from a 91 mustang in mine.

great choice for engines. I'm also smack in the middle of a 97 explorer engine into my 86 vert. Several things that have to be changed, and I'll start there.

-all accessories, and timing cover, swap your 5.0 stuff onto it.

-oil pan, pump, pickup tube, swap the mustang stuff onto it.

a few things. The valve springs and cam are low revving truck parts. At a minimum, swap HO mustang valves onto the explorer engine. I'm going with some tfs springs, and 1.7 roller rockers. The explorer engine works well with a HO mustang cam, or you can go aftermarket. My brothers explorer engine is getting the tfs springs, tfs stage one cam, and 1.6 roller rockers, to be sure it doesn't have interference, piston to valve wise.

97 was a cutover year. Mine has the gt40p's, but, strangely enough, has the intake from 96, that has the internal egr ports that will make me smog legal for cali. Starting in 97 sometime, the intakes stopped having internal egr ports. you'll know when you pull your upper and lower apart, and see a hole right in the center. If it's there, you got the egr intake that's compatible with smog for a mustang, if not, it's not technically smog legal.

you'll have the gt40's, or the gt40's, both great heads. Mine has the P heads. I chose the frpp ceramic coated shorty headers from summit for $299. (stainless are a little cheaper) ALL ford headers are P head compliant.

your heads will have 4 bars, and GTP, as shown in my pictures, or three bars for gt40 heads. Best of luck, and ask me if you need any help at all.

explorer%20(1).JPG

explorer.JPG

Car RamRod said:
thats not a gt40 intake.

No doubt. The explorer has a gt40 LOWER intake, and an upper intake that flows nearly as good as the cobra and close to the gt40. It's the lower that's identical, but the upper flows nearly as good.

Now is a good time for a cam change. TF Stage 1 or one of the smaller Comp Cams XE grinds. However the Explorer cam is pretty stout. Has pretty good lift and decent duration on like a 116 lobe speration. Would have a broad torque curve with slightly lower hp, but you may be suprised what it gives you with a carb. Car Craft pulled 405 hp out of a stock Mustang cam with AFR 165 heads and a Carb. No fancy tricks, no nitrous either.

BTW if you are switching to carb you will want a Weiand Stealth intake (same as Car Craft used inthe 405 hp engine). I know several people that have used them and they work like mad crazy. Put 1" spacer on it, a 650 vac sec carb and it'll pull like a freight train. You'll also need a non-EFI distributor with a steel cam gear. MSD makes a nice ready-to-run distributor that only requires you to hook up a power and ground wire and a coil. Everythig else is contained in the distributor and it looks like a regular distributor. It doesn't look like that botched abortion on a stick - GM HEI.