Just Wanting To Cover All Bases Before Rebuild

Brandon Jackson

Active User
Jun 27, 2017
Northwest GA
I have a 95 5.0 with 5speed trans. When I bought the care it had a slight whine in the trans in 1st gear but that was only gear i could hear it in until i repaired the exhaust(guy had strait pipes dumped @ driver/pass under car). Now that I have replaced the exhaust and made it a little quieter, I am hearing the whine in 1,2,3, & 5th gears. I'm also havein issues with my TOB(throw out bearing). I know the TOB is going bad from previous experience, but this brings me to my question. Will a bad TOB cause the trans whine and also cause it not to go into 1st gear unless it is stopped(if i force it it grinds and I know that is bad for it. LOL). 1st gear is the only gear i'm having issues out of whenit comes to going into gear. I am thinking synchro for this but others I have talked with said clutch going bad can cause this. Thought/opinions? Go easy on me as I am new to a lot of this.

• Sponsors (?)

Likely your clutch, tb and pressure plate need replacing, you could try to adjust it but you are just killing time.
If the car has a lot of miles and the po had it straight piped I would take a hard look at the trans too, while your at it get the drive shaft balanced and new u joints, toss in a new trans mount also then you'll be fixed up at that end.
Sounds like alot but all those things work together and it going to be that far apart anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
The whine is due to a scored mainshaft inside the trans. In 4th gear, the mainshaft is 1:1 with input shaft, so it's silent, but in all other gears there some differential. It will be loudest in 1st and R

Cause is usually low fluid level starving the roller bearings between the two shafts.

Fix Is to machine the shaft and sleeve it.

Reactions: 1 users
Standard rebuilds don't address this. They come with new roller bearings, but the issue is the snout they ride on is galled and what causes the noise.

You can try to find a good used mainshaft

IMG_2334.JPG
IMG_2335.JPG