K&N FIPK or Roush Performance Cold Air induction Kit

ccharanza87

Nov 24, 2004
Waco Texas
I'm looking to replace the factory air intake and can't decide which one to go with so i figured i'd ask here, since there is a wealth of knowledge on this board. I was originally looking into the K&N FIPK for my 02 GT and have since stumbled upon the Roush Performance Cold air intake kit, i've found plenty of reviews on the K&N but i can't really seem to find much on the Roush kit, i know that Roush is a leader in mustang performance but i wonder if anyone has any experience with the Roush kit, it seems to be a little less expensive, well at least at Summit Racing it does, but i was wondering if there is a difference or if i would probably expect the same performance out of either one.

Thanks in Advance

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

I put a K&N FIPK in my 02 GT. The K&N is supposed to be better performing because it is plastic vs. most others are metal. It is also cheaper than the Roush. But if it is underhood bling you desire, then I would go with the Rousch. I almost wish I had gotten the Steeda CAI merely for the appearance. Here is what my K&N looks like installed. BTW - pls overlook my dirty engine bay, it is much cleaner now

Attachments

• resized K&N.JPG
    resized K&N.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 494
I have the Roush CAI on my 04 GT. I mainly got it, because it was black plastic, put the filter out of sight in the fender, and to the the average Joe it looks stock... I'm not into bling...

I don't remember what I paid for it now, but I do remember I got a really good deal on it new from ebay...

I have a Roush CAI on my 02. It's in the fender and a pain in the azz to change or clean. It's plastic, not metal. K&N has only 1) 75 degree bend and Roush has 2 bends. The less bends the more performance. However, going into the fender takes away some heat. Take your pick! I'd go with Roush.

The DeMolet and JLT are better options.

We've only had one customer with the Roush, and it had some fit issues. The k&n is decent and nothing really wrong with it.

Why is the filter in the fenderwell a big deal?
Working by themselves the average install time for a tech is 15 minutes to remove and reinstall, and with a helper it can get down to 10.

That's 5 minutes to pull it or put it on.

i agree with StangPro. i have the Demolet fenderwell and it took me about 40 min because i actually read the instruction. had i just gone at it and ignored the directions i would have been done in 20.

as far as the filter in the fender, i really dont see the issue either. i can pop out the filter in under a minute.... so, i fail to see where the pain is that everyone talks about. Hey Stangpro, didnt you have an article on your site of a comparison of the JLT and the DeMolet? might be a good read for some people.

Torinalth

I 2nd on the Demolet. Its a great intake with good gains that you can actually feel. It took me about an hour to install by myself but it took me a little while to take the POS mac straight shot system out.