Keep 2007 or buy 2011?

Sparty92

Jul 30, 2007
Detroit Burbs
So I have no job, but that's besides the point...LOL

I have a stock 2007, and in my head I'm dreaming of future mods:
Detroit Rocker cams, LT headers, FRPP cylinder heads, UDPs, gears, CAI/Tune

Hoping for a nice daily driver (I have 50K miles now)...that sounds awesome and is fun to drive. Maybe 380-ish rwhp, should be enough to get into trouble. I like the idea of a N/A motor for stealth and reliability.

The cost of those mods + labor is prolly $5,000-ish...just guessing.

I just saw a clip of a 2011 running 11s with very basic mods.:eek:

Now, where I come from (Detroit), no matter how much you bring to the street, you didn't bring enough. Period. Ever. There are cars with wheelie bars and slicks. There are modded ZR-1s, Ford GTs, Ferrari's...you get the picture.

A new 2011 GT will prolly be as quick as a GT500, which is to say, 12s out of the box, and that's with a difference of over 100hp. What I'm trying to say is, a well-tuned car with proper suspension and less HP can pretty much keep up or beat a car with more HP.

If 380-ish rwhp could get me close to 12s (I never go to the track), wouldn't that be enough for a daily driver?

I have 2 years of payments left on my 2007. The major mods (cams, etc) would come after the car is paid off.

Would you just keep the 2007 and have a nice, fun car that's paid for free and clear? Or would you suck yourself back into a $500+/month payment for a 2011, and THEN call it quits?

Sigh....

• Sponsors (?)

Get a job 1st and tell yourself the reward is to upgrade to 2011 GT.

Who knows by then Ford may upgrade hp.

Well, I know the old saying, "There's no such thing as too much horsepower!"...but c'mon. I mean, 400+ HP stock...runs 12s, handles well, sounds great. That's about all you need in a daily driver. I could care less about those guys pushing 700+ hp, as they can never get it to hook up on the street. That's when the guy (me) with cams+heads walks on by with a measly 385rwhp. :)

I "think" I like the looks of my car as it is...to want to keep it. The new style isn't bad, but I like the 2005-2009 better I think. Looks more "authentic" to the original.

the initial excitement and hype over the 2011 make it very hard to not go after one but i bet if you wait it out, pay off your current car, save up some money and mod it later youll appreciate it. and like they said, the 2014 will be waiting for you. enjoy what you have and be excited for what you can get later i say.... its hard to be patient.

I'm waiting until 2014 with the hope that I'll be out of work by then and can afford the $500 a month car payment :rolleyes: (extreme sarcasm intended).

I bought a 2010 because the discounts are good (to clear them off the lots for the 2011s) and I want to wait a couple of years for them to work out the bugs in the new powertrain. The 2010 is a MUCH better car than the 2005-2009 in the way that it drives and handles...that being said, the 2005-2009 do look great (probably better and more authentic in a lot of ways than the 2010).

If you're happy with the 2007, I'd personally keep it for a few years before trading it on a newer model.

I'm waiting until 2014 with the hope that I'll be out of work by then and can afford the $500 a month car payment :rolleyes: (extreme sarcasm intended).

I bought a 2010 because the discounts are good (to clear them off the lots for the 2011s) and I want to wait a couple of years for them to work out the bugs in the new powertrain. The 2010 is a MUCH better car than the 2005-2009 in the way that it drives and handles...that being said, the 2005-2009 do look great (probably better and more authentic in a lot of ways than the 2010).

If you're happy with the 2007, I'd personally keep it for a few years before trading it on a newer model.

The thing is all the suspension stuff that makes the 2010-2011 handle so good can be put on a 05-09. Then just get your self a set of cams, CAI, exhaust and dyno tune. You can put down 350rwhp (about 410 crank hp).

The thing is all the suspension stuff that makes the 2010-2011 handle so good can be put on a 05-09. Then just get your self a set of cams, CAI, exhaust and dyno tune. You can put down 350rwhp (about 410 crank hp).

That's what I'm thinking. If someone asked me if I would buy my car for $12,000....I'd say, "YES!". And that's about what I owe on it now. So, pay it off...throw some mods at it, and I'd have a pretty nice car to drive around...that's paid for.

I could always use it as my "2nd car" and go buy a classic Mustang for the price of a new one...that won't drop in value. Have you seen the going prices for some REALLY nice classic Mustangs at these auctions on TV? You can get a killer deal for about $20-35K!!

Keep the current car. Pay it off then mod it up. And you dont need 380 HP to run 12's. I ran a 13.22 with street tires with a crappy 2.15 sixty foot. Give me DR's and I am in the 12's. I would guess my HP is 300 or less at the rear wheels.

patrick

Funny how you say that! I just traded my 07 Saleen (SC), for a 07 shelby GT500. went from a aerodynamic tire shredder, corner carver, and top ender to a Brick on wheels. with more miles too! lol..... keep your ride, add a Kenne Bell, and keep it around 500 HP. don't forget the aluminum driveshaft, and BMR K member brace, BMR lower control arms (front), this sheds weight and adds strength. Eaton tru trac differential is a plus to keep straight on launches! AFCO radiators are light weight yet keep the Stang cool. Hec, just buy my Saleen on my lot! 11.4 in the quarter everytime...

So I have no job, but that's besides the point...LOL

I have a stock 2007, and in my head I'm dreaming of future mods:
Detroit Rocker cams, LT headers, FRPP cylinder heads, UDPs, gears, CAI/Tune

Hoping for a nice daily driver (I have 50K miles now)...that sounds awesome and is fun to drive. Maybe 380-ish rwhp, should be enough to get into trouble. I like the idea of a N/A motor for stealth and reliability.

The cost of those mods + labor is prolly $5,000-ish...just guessing.

I just saw a clip of a 2011 running 11s with very basic mods.:eek:

Now, where I come from (Detroit), no matter how much you bring to the street, you didn't bring enough. Period. Ever. There are cars with wheelie bars and slicks. There are modded ZR-1s, Ford GTs, Ferrari's...you get the picture.

A new 2011 GT will prolly be as quick as a GT500, which is to say, 12s out of the box, and that's with a difference of over 100hp. What I'm trying to say is, a well-tuned car with proper suspension and less HP can pretty much keep up or beat a car with more HP.

If 380-ish rwhp could get me close to 12s (I never go to the track), wouldn't that be enough for a daily driver?

I have 2 years of payments left on my 2007. The major mods (cams, etc) would come after the car is paid off.

Would you just keep the 2007 and have a nice, fun car that's paid for free and clear? Or would you suck yourself back into a $500+/month payment for a 2011, and THEN call it quits?

Sigh....

No job = No new toy

Get a job 1st and tell yourself the reward is to upgrade to 2011 GT.

Who knows by then Ford may upgrade hp.

:nice:

I was thinking same thing but I decided to wait until the total redesign in 2014 for 50th anniversary.

I thought about that, but the lava red w/ lava red inserts in the leather it was like :drool:

Get a job first and I hope all of your racing is only on the track.The street is no place for it.

Yes dad :shrug:

I almost bought a 2010 because it was so dang cheap, they had a 2010 grabber blue gt conv prem for 28K in south fl, mainly because the 2012's were already coming to the lot