Key Fob/alarm Question.

ry94stang50

Jun 21, 2013
Brick, NJ
Ok I have no range on my key fob. I have to be right on top of the sensor to arm or disarm. Litereally an inch away. Can I upgrade the sensors or my key fob to make it work like a normal system would?

I have an after market alarm installed. Its made by excalibur and its old lol

• Sponsors (?)

If you haven't already, you could try to replace the battery in your fob. That may or may not help.

If not, you could try and get the exact model number of your specific alarm and contact the manufacturer to see if any parts are available. I did a quick internet search and it looks as if Excalibur is still being made, but they may now be owned by Omega. I'm not 100% positive on that, it's somewhat difficult to tell. A quick call or e-mail could confirm.

All of this being said though, it may end up being more trouble and expense than its worth. You can get a basic alarm for very little money now-a-days. If you are reasonably handy and have a basic knowledge of electronics, they are not terribly difficult to install. Things about alarms that get more complicated are when multiple relays are required, remote starts, newer cars that require bypass modules, etc.

People still run aftermarket alarms?

In order to remove it, you will need to cut all the wires out too. There is an ignition kill on the alarm. If you go under the dash, there will be a wire clipped into one of the wires from the ignition switch that comes down from the steering column. Essentially, if you remove the alarm, it grounds the current from the ignition switch so power never reaches the starter solenoid or the ignition circuit. This wire will be very obvious, because it will either be installed with a crappy little splice clip, a crappy wire butt connector, or an awful solder job.

Kurt

Thanks guys. I found my other key fob and threw a new battery in it. Also moved the sensors and reconnected the second one and now it works normal. I can arm and disarm it from pretty far away. So for now ill let it be. But when I have the time I think I will gut the alarm lol.. now that I have an idea hat tondo thanks to kurt.
Now after I remove the alarm how do I setup a different keyless entery since the current setuo is through the alarm?