Killed another idle surge demon. post your cures here

modulistic

Nov 26, 2002
I am the sworn enemy of idle surge. I get this sick fetish now for working on 5.0s with idle surges and so far ive cured 3.

First one was my 92. caught the idle surge after I changed the clutch. Didnt know it, but I banged up one of the O2 sensors when I was unbolting the hpipe and after tracking down and replacing just about everything electrical, I replaced the 02's and surge was cured. moral: o2 senors can cause surge but only try it if youve tried everything else because they arent cheap.

my friends 90 hatch got the surge so we tooled around with it for a while we did the IAC cleanout/ TPS reset/ throttle body clean and it fixed her up.

my hatch got the surge and started running like crap. No power up high, bad idle, surging idle and other gaynesses. I wanted to drive the damn thing into town lake. cleaned, checked, spread, tested, dumped codes, sprayed, swore, prayed, changed sensors, ate aspirin for 3 days straight. finally swapped out the distributors and problem cured. just like that. Moral: bad distributor can cause idle surge.

::edit:: distributor went bad probably because I had high pressure washed the engine bay. so secondary moral is dont pressure spray your distributor.

yalls turn.

• Sponsors (?)