King Clutch review/final I hope..

"DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!"

This is my write up based off of experience.

Set up/motors:

N/a set ups

Stock 96 GT-Time lasted 3months.....RWHP 190

96 GT-o/r h pipe cat back,373 gear, nitto tire 1 month.....RWHP 205

1996 GT body with bolt on 99 cobra 4v...........RWHP 298

Blower Car

93 LX S-trim 7psi, 355 gear, full exhaust, a/c delete, cam 2 days.........RWHP 290

All clutchs were on back order and figured I just get a King Cobra cause it was there.

The clutch will last you longer on a N/A set up. If you have any idea how to drive meaning slipping the clutch and power shifting its going to go out fast. The clutch is crap when it comes to anything with a adder nitrous,blower,turbo.

When I had my 4v nitrous car I has a CenterForce duel friction. Held up great and lasted long with 465 rwhp.

All in all if your sisters mustang clutch goes out then get a King Cobra. :shrug: Don't make the mistakes I have in the past and last week. Lol

• Sponsors (?)

Well I've got a MAC o/r H and flows too.
Did you Dyno test the car after the MAC o/r H and Flows?
To me 15 RWHP is a HUUUUUGGGEEE Gain for just a midpipe and catback. thats like 20 HP to the crank

Well I've got a MAC o/r H and flows too.
Did you Dyno test the car after the MAC o/r H and Flows?
To me 15 RWHP is a HUUUUUGGGEEE Gain for just a midpipe and catback. thats like 20 HP to the crank

With the Mac & flows. Exhaust special a full system is a great way to gain power because the stock stuff is so restrictive. I think maybe could have dynoed more if the motor was at 100%.

King cobra is just for N/A engine, that clutch can hold 400 whp right ? so as long im stay away from super charger, and my goal is 350whp, is safe to using kc ?

I have installed serveral of those clutches in mild ( sub 400 Horse) mustangs including my old car and have not had a problem..

Only issues I had with that clutch was

1. other techs that used a machined flywheel or just slapped the clutch on the old flywheel unmachined.. You really should use a new flywheel with this clutch or any clutch for that matter..

2. other techs that ran the pressure plate bolts down with a impact gun with out going in order or doing it in stages.. ( I get laughed at by other techs when they see me tourqing down the flywheel and the pressure plate in sequence and in stages with a tourqe wrench... "AHHHH just run the ****ing bolts down with a 1/2 impact gun AHHHHHH " is what they say..

From my experience 90 percent of failures that are blamed on the product is tech error when it comes to clutchs.The KC in my opinion is more sensitive to poor install than the centerforce..

Well everytime i got this clutch i ordered a new flywheel. I don't believe in resurfing my flywheel. As for 400ish hp using this clutch no way imo. If you baby it not get on it sure it will last but what is the point. Also by saying that it can hold 400hp there would be no point for spec 2 clutchs and Center Force Duel friction. I would prefer to save 200 dollars.

I don't know guys I wouldn't go with it. Keep in mind as well i never let the same mechanic install this clutch. Nor did i take it to a locate shop only a speed shop.

By no means am i arguing with you this is all my opinion and nothing here is fact. Like i said at the top just helping people out.

Well everytime i got this clutch i ordered a new flywheel. I don't believe in resurfing my flywheel. As for 400ish hp using this clutch no way imo. If you baby it not get on it sure it will last but what is the point. Also by saying that it can hold 400hp there would be no point for spec 2 clutchs and Center Force Duel friction. I would prefer to save 200 dollars.

I don't know guys I wouldn't go with it. Keep in mind as well i never let the same mechanic install this clutch. Nor did i take it to a locate shop only a speed shop.

By no means am i arguing with you this is all my opinion and nothing here is fact. Like i said at the top just helping people out.

Unless you installed it yourself I would assume the bolts were run down with a impact gun since I never have seen anybody other than myself do it right.. I am sure others out there do it right but the attitude of most techs including speed shop techs ( former speed shop tech myself) is get it done fast, or in the case of many speed shops " it's only a mild mustang so who cares"

to make it worse most techs don't even understand why it's important to tourqe the presure plate and flywheel bolts down properly.. hell I have seen many guys run a pressure plate bolt down the entire way without even runing the others in at all.. That plate is JUNK when that is done to it.

I had this clutch in my 01 gt, I installed it right with a new flywheel, clutch fork and T/O bearing and also had a new cable and it was smooth with a light pedal and I beat the living crap out of it and it still was smooth with no chatter when I sold the car 20k miles latter..

I used to practice lauching and powershifting everyday on this straight road near my house minimum 10 launches from 2500-3000, probally another 10 or so full throttle powershifted runs through the top of third on the same road just about everyday.. I used to do this all the time, in fact i am shocked that clutch held up to the abuse i was giving it.

I agree with you that it's not the greatest clutch out there but it's not bad and for the money it's better than a stock unit. the centerforce is a better clutch. You just need to be carefull to install it correctly it's not as forgiving as the centerforce.

I am not trying to argue with you just trying to inform you what I have found in the feild and what the company that made that clutch thinks is the cause for failures like you had..

BTW for a 400 HP car I would not recomend this clutch anything over 300 at the wheels I would get a more expensive better clutch. I have installed these in cars with 400 or so but I was just soing what the car owner paid me to do.

I wouldn't assume that. SVT TECH what kind of morons do you work with that they dont torque in sequence?

I have worked at enough places to know better than to trust the work of techs I never met, where do you work that you see people doing things right.. ( I doubt your in the business since you question my statements about the average work quality in the Field)

I have worked at enough places to know better than to trust the work of techs I never met, where do you work that you see people doing things right.. ( I doubt your in the business since you question my statements about the average work quality in the Field)

Hah finally someone else who actually torques that stuff like myself. It takes all of what, MAYBE an extra 5 - 15mins to properly torque a pressure plate, but can save you the hassle of pulling the trans again. I'll torque them.

Question for svttech76 (thread related I suppose)...When I bought my mustang back in june of 05, my TOB started squeaking 2wks later. I was very new in the field, and realize I didnt do things the "proper way", my mistake I know better now. But I didnt torque my pressure plate, but I did tighten in sequence. I replaced clutch disc, pressure plate, TOB and Pilot bearing. The TOB has since been replaced 2 more times by a ford master tech, me thinking I did something wrong. It still squeeks, and he insisted the pressure plate torque was not the issue.

Cliffnote: Can improper pressure plate torque cause TOB failure and/or squeak?

SVTtech you know you might have a point when it comes to,"its just a mild mustang." I could see that happening. But I wouldn't use that clutch with anything that has over 275 tq.

I just got in and if i want to hit it in 3rd gear at 4k rpm only way my K.C. will hold the power is if it rolls the boost slowly then about 4500 rpm i floor it. If i just drop it and floor it it just slips. As for street driving i can only half throttle the car.

Wow, I've been running this clutch on my KB equipped mustang for years and autiocrossing it as well. It's never missed a beat and I've hung some pretty nasty downshifts as well as powershifting it up, I wouldn't have a problem recomending it.

I worked for VW for a bit. Sure, everyone takes short cuts, but the guys i worked with did the job right

Hah finally someone else who actually torques that stuff like myself. It takes all of what, MAYBE an extra 5 - 15mins to properly torque a pressure plate, but can save you the hassle of pulling the trans again. I'll torque them.

Question for svttech76 (thread related I suppose)...When I bought my mustang back in june of 05, my TOB started squeaking 2wks later. I was very new in the field, and realize I didnt do things the "proper way", my mistake I know better now. But I didnt torque my pressure plate, but I did tighten in sequence. I replaced clutch disc, pressure plate, TOB and Pilot bearing. The TOB has since been replaced 2 more times by a ford master tech, me thinking I did something wrong. It still squeeks, and he insisted the pressure plate torque was not the issue.

Cliffnote: Can improper pressure plate torque cause TOB failure and/or squeak?

No the TOB is a poor design I have seen some squeek almost new.. it does not have to do with tourqeing the presure plate.

I worked for VW for a bit. Sure, everyone takes short cuts, but the guys i worked with did the job right

thats very very rare.. I can count on one hand the guys I have ran into that did things right, and I have worked at quite a few places, both dealers and a couple of speed shops.

In fact just the other day I got in a argument with a few other guys in my shop who think it's ok to tourqe headbolts with a impact gun.. ( this is the way MANY ford techs do heads... SCARY)

No the TOB is a poor design I have seen some squeek almost new.. it does not have to do with tourqeing the presure plate.

thats very very rare.. I can count on one hand the guys I have ran into that did things right, and I have worked at quite a few places, both dealers and a couple of speed shops.

In fact just the other day I got in a argument with a few other guys in my shop who think it's ok to tourqe headbolts with a impact gun.. ( this is the way MANY ford techs do heads... SCARY)

I'm looking to upgrade my clutch. What brand of TOB would you suggest? I'm not a tech but when I put a new clutch in my Mazda B4000 I also torque the pressure plate using to proper sequence laid out in my repair manual. I also torqued the flywheel according to the manual. That new clutch has worked great. Pearl02.