KOER codes 44 & 94, just one quick question about them...

StreetDreamsGT

Mar 6, 2003
New Jersey
I have been slowly reinstalling the smog equipment back on my car, but haven't gotten around to switching my off road h pipe to the catted one. Seeing how I haven't installed the tube that leads from the thermactor system down to the h pipe that could be the reason why I have the codes right?

• Sponsors (?)

Nope, the Thermactor Air is monitored by the O2 sensors. So either the TAB or TAD solenoids are not functioning or one of the TAB or TAD valve are not working, or you dont have vacuum at the TAB or TAD valves. Or a clogged up crossover tube.

Just seems kinda odd since I had been getting codes 41 and 91, then I found my vacuum leak and fixed it, now I'm getting 44 and 94. When I put the crossover tube back on I made sure to clean both opening and check to make sure air was getting through both, which it was. I should have both the tab and tad solenoids sitting around here I'll have to find them and swap them out to see if that fixes it. Should I expect any code due to the pipe from the thermactor sys to the exhaust not being there?

If you dont have the TAB or TAD solenoid hooked up then those code will flash. Along with two other codes. Which you didnt post them up, so it seem that they are installed.

And thats perfectly normal for codes 94 and 44 to show up after a lean or rich code has been fixed. The 02s can only really detect one problem at a time. And in the event that the 02s are reading lean or rich, those codes take priority over the themactor codes( 94 and 44). So it cant detect the loss of thermactor air and a lean or rich code at the same time.

You need the smog system fully up and running to not throw codes 94 and 44. So you really need to figure out what is missing in the system. Which is normally a vacuum signal to TAB and TAD valves. Or one or the other. So make sure you have vacuum at the TAB and TAD valves. You can temporarily ground the negative side of the TAB and TAD solenoids to see if vacuum is being passed on like it should.

After I found my box of brand new ford sensors I went out and looked under the hood at the old ones... both the tab and tad solenoids were cracked :rolleyes: no wonder I was having so many problems. I changed all three of the solenoids just for the heck of it and immediately she idled smoothly. I checked the codes and got the same ones... do I need to pull the battery and clear the old codes before I can check for any new codes?

Ok I've been using this image to go over my thermactor system and make sure everything is hooked up properly, but this image isn't the way my system is set up. My Diverter Valve and bypass valve are reversed, the TAB is connected to the diverter valve and the TAD is connected to the bypass valve. Those colors don't correspond to my 92's wiring either so I'm not positive which solenoid is which, I'll tell you how it's all set up. The solenoid with a red and white/green wire connects to the bypass valve, the other solenoid with a red and a yellow/white wire connects to the diverter valve but like I said my bypass comes after my diverter valve... could this be my problem?

Attachments

• attachment.GIF
    attachment.GIF
    48.8 KB · Views: 147