Lawn Tractor Advice...

:OT: All -

I have about 3 acres (+) to mow on a weekly basis and need to get a lawn tractor that actually works. I have a Deere LT166 (42" deck) and it just doesn't cut it. Mechanically it's a great machine (v-twin) but I have had a lot of problems with the blades, deck and belts. I am REALLY hard on the machine while mowing and expect a lot out of it. I would LOVE to own a lawn mower I CAN'T break! ! ! ! !
1) Suspension is hard and sucks.
2) Deck is too small.
3) Speed is too slow.
4) I am too f***ing large for the ergonomics of the thing.

Anyone have a similar situation or other machines they use?

• Sponsors (?)

I grew up in the country and had to mow about 3-3.5 acres. Most people ran a cub and we did too...FUGGIN tanks man. One neighbor took some plate steel and welded it to the front of the deck so if he did hit something it wouldnt break/bend it up. Go to a dealer not some lowes or HD the tend to sell the lower line stuff if you dont believe me go to a specific dealer and look at the frame/build quality of it.

Only one of my buddies had a deer and it was a diesel and it was kinda a PITA with starting issues but other than that a tank as well.

Kabota is also a damn good machine but abit higher in price for anything they have that is what I would use.

Henceforward said:
Stay far away from Cub Cadet, consumer reports hates them.

I would almost bet the majority of those complaints from CR are from the big walmart type dealers like the Lowes or HD. Those are quite a bit crapier than the ones you get at a dealer who only sells cub. Seriously I have not seen a cub that was junk that was bought from a dealer.

I don't usually use it for towing things...that's what the Chevy plow truck is for. It tows and pushes... ha ha.

I have heard bad things from neighbors about the cub cadets, they said they made a great machine in the early 90s but since then they have dropped off to crap.

The issue with Depot and Lowe's is that they dictate to manufacturers what they want to pay for things and what they want to retail them for, and the manufacturers are over a barrel when it comes to the business. They are f'ed if they do and f'ed if they don't (say yes to the business), so the models they have are slightly different than the actual dealer would have.

I have both a Lowes and a Deere dealer in my town. Lowe's blows and the Deere dealer is really nice, but I am just not convinced about their product for my application.

So for whatever that soap box rant is worth...

My dad has about 4 acres to cut and we went through craftsman lawnmowers like nothing. Mostly the Briggs and Stratton engines would crap out. A small engine repairman that we have know for a long time recommended a Simplicty lawn mower with a Honda OHC engine. That things got power to burn and has been going strong for 3 years now, plus its got an auo tranny which is kinda cool.

When I worked for the lawn service in Florida, we used a small Kubota tractor with the 16hp diesel. That thing ROCKED!!!! I think it was a 50", or so, deck. Used a PTO from the hydrostat to drive the deck. No belts! Replaced the "transmission" once. (90 degree drive from the PTO to the deck) It was simple and cheap to replace. It was a more expensive machine, intially, but damn! There was nothing it couldn't go through. I don't remember the model number. (Kubota has some cheaper models that they just slap their color and labels on. Stay away from those.)

what is the budget?

I would think to get a good kubota, a larger deere, or even a Simplicity.

I have a cheap deere now and the mower deck crapped out in 90 hours of use.... I fell for the "better HD tractor" figuring that since I only cut one acre of grass it would give me years of service... Nope...

Now on the other hand I have a 1960's allis Chalmers B10 that has about 200 hours on it from me, between mowing and plowing... and it still treats me good...

Hey... Alice makes great stuff. A neighbor of mine has an original Alice tractor from the 60s that still runs cherry and is a nice looking piece.

Price $4,000 or less. I really sort of like the idea of a zero turn mower, but don't necessarily need it. They're cool though.

I have heard great things about simplicity and if they have a Honda engine...well, can't go wrong there.

AznStanger3v - I am only about 6' tall 200lbs, but the seat is rammed back as far as it will go and the steering wheel angle at that distance is uncomfortable.

Dude I have been selling lawn tractors for sears for 3 years now. I know a lot about several brands out there. I would say with that type of yearage you need something in the 48-54" range. John Deere's are nice but honestlynot owrth the price the guage steel on the deck is not up to par and the steats are medicore. I ususally sell (for someone with you size yard) and Craftsman 4500 with the 26hp kohler V-twin a 54" Deck. It features a 10 gauge steel deck. Spring loaded control arm belt tension release for easy blet replacement. The 10" wide turf saver tires work well on any terrain. Features man other things suck as rear side fill gas tank automotive style adjustable seat, pedal drive hydorstatic tranmission, electronic PTO (blade engaugement) cast iron front axle, completely removable hood, visible gas gauge, plush comfortable seat, new body design with more leg room, shortened 12" turning radius decreases cutting time and cutting many circle over and over again. the three blade design features one of the thickest blades on the market. the 26hp kohler v-twin is powerful yet much quieter than the B&S engines.
not to mention that it is a consumer products best buy in its catagory.
the tractor retails for $1999.99

As someone else said a zero-turn would be ideal for the large area you have plus it would be much more comfortable for you. The equipment store my brother manages prefers Simplicity and Husqvarna. Both nice equipment. Just to give you an idea of price I went on their website and found this:

Simplicity Champion "Z" - Zero Turn Mower
20hp Briggs & Stratton V-Twin Engine
50" Cutting Deck
$4,199

salesSimpZT.jpg

Good luck!:nice:

Found the winner. I stopped at a local power dealer and found they had several brands. Husquavarna, Cub Cadet, Deere and Lawnmower (brand) zero turns.

I selected a 50" Cadet 1050. It seems to have mower power than the current Deere and best of all, the deck ACTUALLY works! ! ! Will pickup tomorrow... sorry, will not post pics. I am not that much of a redneck.

The Cub seemed to have a load of really nice features, which my current Deere didn't/won't have. PTO engagement for the deck, 50" deck (current is 42") and much better warranty than the Deere ever had...hopefully I won't need it. Knock on wood. I think it even had a beer holder!

Based on what the salesman said, it seems to be just about the best value for the money...and as the saying goes "you can't b-s a b-s'er." I knew exactly what I was looking for and found it!

Thanks for the information all!

Looks like I'm too late. I was going to tell you to check out Gravely. www.gravely.com

My bud has one and it's awesome. He got a decent deal on it at a dealer. I have a Lowe's/MTD (given to me) and it's a piece of crap. It didn't run when I got it. I adjusted the valves and it runs good now, but it takes me 30 minutes to get it started, lol. And the deck is rediculous .... so I'm thinking about Gravely right now .....

Got the tractor today and it BLOWS the Deere away! ! ! !
The 50" deck is a winner and makes mowing actually fun.
Ergonomics are great. Power is outstanding. Turning radius is really nice and the tractor as a whole is great! ! ! The Kohler engine runs like a champ and sounds really strong. The thing didn't peter out at all in some tall/wet/thick grass.
If anyone is thinking of a Deere out there...save your money and get a Cub! ! ! ! Great machine.

20 hp Sears is what I got...Never had a rider and the wife said these were on sale for 999.00. I said chit buy me one....Next day she got it delivered..:nice:
Got a bagger for it couple weeks ago for cleaning up leaves and I'm living large now..

Hows this for cleaning the deck.. I know, what a loser...:D

78781.jpg