Leaking Gas After Fuel Pump Install

f8tlfiveo

My wife likes my spool and blow-off valve.
Aug 8, 2007
Lancaster, PA
I had my tank down to put a new pump in a couple weeks ago. Their was prob 1/4 tank of gas in it.. I went to the gas station to fill it up for the first time today.. The pump never stopped when it got full.. It spewed out all over the ground from the fill tube at the tank.. Has anyone ever had this happen? Do I need new seal or is somthing installed wrong?

• Sponsors (?)

Same exact thing happened to me when I installed my 190 LPH pump. The filler neck grommet on the tank tore when I re-installed the filler neck into the tank. Installed a new grommet, problem solved,
I was hoping someone had the same problem... There it is. Thank you. Did you have to drop the tank again to replace the seal? Or is it possible to remove filler neck only?

I was hoping someone had the same problem... There it is. Thank you. Did you have to drop the tank again to replace the seal? Or is it possible to remove filler neck only?
I dropped the tank again to do it. I thought about trying to remove the filler neck only, but the location of the bolt holding the filler neck ground strap to the car looked like a real PIA to get to so I dropped the tank instead.
The sad thing about the whole deal was seeing $20 worth of gas on the station ground when I filled up!

I only spilled a little.. I was watching the pump at 13 gallons and was waiting for it to stop...it didn't stop until I let go.. I think I will unhook a fuel line and pump some fuel out into a gas can. Cause it is full right now.. There is no way I am dropping a full tank..

Reactions: 1 user
Ok guys I found thread one here for a 94-95 seal replacement without dropping the tank.. So I figured I would try it.. Popped off the wheel, took gas door off plus other two screws hold liner in. Tool 3 screws holding fill tube up top in. Took 4 screws holding the seal on the lower side of the tube and the 1 screw for the brace.. Little wiggle wiggle with the tube... Easy peasy... No need to drop the tank.. Done in 20-25 minutes.

Reactions: 1 users