Leaking Town car

Jinx

I like cats, cats like me. Cats and I fully agree.
20+ Year Stangneter :roc</strong><span class=
Oct 2, 2003
12,166
4,237
223
Cat Country
At first I thought someone had spilled a soda and did not bother to tell me. So I just shop vacc’d it and let it dry out. Well after 4 days of rain I noticed condensation build up inside so I opened the doors to see and there was about 1/2” of standing water. It’s only on the passenger side. It’s more pronounced in the back. The windows were up and the door seals look like they are in good shape. What I want to know is how is the floor getting soaked but there is no sign of water damage or dampness any where else ?
 

Attachments

  • AC36D008-2D7D-4282-ABB4-FF97628372F6.webp
    AC36D008-2D7D-4282-ABB4-FF97628372F6.webp
    152.4 KB · Views: 8
  • BE2E34CD-D371-41D9-916A-9972B04554C8.webp
    BE2E34CD-D371-41D9-916A-9972B04554C8.webp
    178.3 KB · Views: 8
  • CF38A8E4-6D10-49AD-A45E-B3BC5461AE23.webp
    CF38A8E4-6D10-49AD-A45E-B3BC5461AE23.webp
    106.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 8E212B47-ADA7-4DFF-8DFF-ABCFBAF6ACFE.webp
    8E212B47-ADA7-4DFF-8DFF-ABCFBAF6ACFE.webp
    233.2 KB · Views: 2
  • B32E601C-472D-47FA-8EB2-AA11142284E1.webp
    B32E601C-472D-47FA-8EB2-AA11142284E1.webp
    203.6 KB · Views: 2
More pics
 

Attachments

  • AB6E6192-AB1A-4509-A7A6-439A2E516B27.webp
    AB6E6192-AB1A-4509-A7A6-439A2E516B27.webp
    145.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 7EB0AFB3-FF31-4AEC-8D21-8064959585C3.webp
    7EB0AFB3-FF31-4AEC-8D21-8064959585C3.webp
    232.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 9E48F99E-15F4-4C5C-BC37-3A21B276FA8B.webp
    9E48F99E-15F4-4C5C-BC37-3A21B276FA8B.webp
    240 KB · Views: 2
  • 6736F80A-81E0-4B4E-99E9-E575AD66108E.webp
    6736F80A-81E0-4B4E-99E9-E575AD66108E.webp
    317.4 KB · Views: 2
  • A92540CC-0199-4DBA-BB0D-8CE2A21CF50E.webp
    A92540CC-0199-4DBA-BB0D-8CE2A21CF50E.webp
    222.8 KB · Views: 2
Some of exterior joints
 

Attachments

  • 4F49B968-7DAD-4D9B-B5A6-A08D6D41FCC7.webp
    4F49B968-7DAD-4D9B-B5A6-A08D6D41FCC7.webp
    74 KB · Views: 2
  • 564F9514-506A-45FF-B899-C3E15B147697.webp
    564F9514-506A-45FF-B899-C3E15B147697.webp
    93.9 KB · Views: 2
  • E839F69A-23E9-4276-8353-C829CAB1225C.webp
    E839F69A-23E9-4276-8353-C829CAB1225C.webp
    111.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 608E44AD-997D-4E1F-8F72-9A57E9A076FD.webp
    608E44AD-997D-4E1F-8F72-9A57E9A076FD.webp
    95.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 5A9195A7-E607-4DEE-B61C-4E3FDE53D535.webp
    5A9195A7-E607-4DEE-B61C-4E3FDE53D535.webp
    146.2 KB · Views: 3
So after 20 min of running the car on high recirculating heat, followed by to hours or radiated heat (safely) I pulled another 2 cups of water from the rear passenger floorboard.
 
All of those images are so closed in that it's hard to tell :poo: from shinola. :scratch:

Is it a sunroof car?
front seat, back seat, both?
Was it sitting? Being driven?

also: pics of the cowl, rear window, jambs in the trunk

What drain tubes to Town Cars have? You already check evap drain?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jinx
All of those images are so closed in that it's hard to tell :poo: from shinola. :scratch:

Is it a sunroof car?
front seat, back seat, both?
Was it sitting? Being driven?

also: pics of the cowl, rear window, jambs in the trunk

What drain tubes to Town Cars have? You already check evap drain?
No sun roof
Both front passenger and rear passenger floor boards are wet. More in the rear.
Definitely sitting for several weeks
Not familiar with this car as it is not mine do no idea about drams or tubes.
I can see about getting requested pics later.

What’s really weird is that there is zero dampness above 2” from the floor boards.
 
Back when I still did automotive ac-used to always be the hvac box,either the drain for the box would be clogged,or the drains in the cowling would be clogged and eventually make its way to the hvac box,and then overflow into the floor. A car that sits usually has a cowl panel full of leaves and other junk
 
Back when I still did automotive ac-used to always be the hvac box,either the drain for the box would be clogged,or the drains in the cowling would be clogged and eventually make its way to the hvac box,and then overflow into the floor. A car that sits usually has a cowl panel full of leaves and other junk
Will look at that tomorrow.
 
Pics as requested
One or two leaves in the cowel and completely dry.
 

Attachments

  • 7C53EBF6-39B3-44EB-AA28-0D840A1EA0E1.webp
    7C53EBF6-39B3-44EB-AA28-0D840A1EA0E1.webp
    185.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 21D55443-A936-4CED-A72D-C1AB0690577E.webp
    21D55443-A936-4CED-A72D-C1AB0690577E.webp
    162.2 KB · Views: 3
  • AAE38761-76D4-4C67-A1D4-03AA804F5AFA.webp
    AAE38761-76D4-4C67-A1D4-03AA804F5AFA.webp
    152.8 KB · Views: 3
  • E4AD4C41-1DD0-436C-978A-2150B874EACE.webp
    E4AD4C41-1DD0-436C-978A-2150B874EACE.webp
    231.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 3477F131-C674-4541-A9BE-B2BDE7DBA666.webp
    3477F131-C674-4541-A9BE-B2BDE7DBA666.webp
    170.1 KB · Views: 7
Pulled the front kick plate and pulled back carpet. Pool of water sitting under mat. Trying to load video after picture.
 

Attachments

  • 948AE552-555F-443D-841E-E3EA2C784097.webp
    948AE552-555F-443D-841E-E3EA2C784097.webp
    156.2 KB · Views: 7
Cowel removed and carpet pulled back. That rubber barrier is soaked. Also starting to get drainage through weep hole in floor.
 

Attachments

  • 25A21189-F01B-44BA-A8FB-22AF1DB7F1C4.webp
    25A21189-F01B-44BA-A8FB-22AF1DB7F1C4.webp
    171.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 99486489-6F2B-46CF-8CF2-F03D459F48CF.webp
    99486489-6F2B-46CF-8CF2-F03D459F48CF.webp
    147.5 KB · Views: 5
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    284.3 KB · Views: 7
You need to look behind all of the door panels and see if the drain holes are plugged.

If it's been sitting for a while, the door bottoms can fill and overflow into the car.
 
You need to look behind all of the door panels and see if the drain holes are plugged.

If it's been sitting for a while, the door bottoms can fill and overflow into the car.
I don’t think it’s the doors because it’s completely dry at the door sills. Even under the runner from the kick plate.
 
Rear seat removed. Rear passenger trim pulled and carpet lifted... so much water !!! Think it may be left over from when it rained with the windows on that side down? Granted that was 7 weeks ago that it happened but I never considered the extent of water trapped in the foam?
 

Attachments

  • 18C94897-0D07-466A-8B59-34C5D0F02918.webp
    18C94897-0D07-466A-8B59-34C5D0F02918.webp
    201.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 85174593-8CE1-4583-8566-4528DCAA4FE5.webp
    85174593-8CE1-4583-8566-4528DCAA4FE5.webp
    165.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 37041A2A-5A5B-40AC-83E0-E160A276FC99.webp
    37041A2A-5A5B-40AC-83E0-E160A276FC99.webp
    143 KB · Views: 4
  • 4F78F254-51DE-4943-A622-07A9A72ADF66.webp
    4F78F254-51DE-4943-A622-07A9A72ADF66.webp
    64.5 KB · Views: 8
That water will stay under the carpet for a loooooooooooooooooong time.

I fought similar to issues to what you're having on my daughter's Cadillac CTS. Their ended up being one large contributor and several small ones that I found. One of the small ones was fixed when the windshield was replaced.

That car had 'junk' in nearly every water drain. The previous owner had obviously kept it parked beneath one of those trees that poops the little helicopter thingies along with some tiny popcorn looking stuff. :nonono:
 
  • Sad
Reactions: Jinx