LED Light Question

A magazine I receive did an article on LED dash lights. I looked at the web site and thought it looked like a pretty neat system. Went to order them and they wanted 12 bucks to ship the light bulbs. I know I'm cheap, but I thought that was crazy to pay that for shipping some little light bulbs. So I started snooping around the web and found this site. Autolumination Instrument Panel Light Bulbs & Lamps)

So my questions are:
What bulbs would I use for the dash lights in a 1970 Mustang Mach 1?
Is it that simple as to just pluging in different bulbs or do you have to do somthing with the wiring?

I also thought it would be cool to put some LED's in the hood scoop signal indicators. Does anyone know a bulb that will work in a 1893 socket?

Im I talking crazy talk here or should I just buck up and pay the outrageous money for the bulbs from the magazine?

• Sponsors (?)

You shouldn't need to do anything to the wiring as long as you find bulbs that have the right plug connection. I say you get them because the flashing will be more noticeable due to the quick turn-on time of LEDs.

Electrically, the LEDs will work as long as there is a resistor in series with the LED. Most of the LEDs on the website you posted already have the resistor inside it. This resistor is often called a "current limiting resistor". A resistor is always required with LEDs because the LED will operate between 2-4 Volts, so the resistor takes up the remaining 8-10 volts. The value of this resistor determines how much current flows through the LED. More current means more light output, but too much current will shorten the life of the LED. That's probably more then you needed to know, but the important thing is that most LED assemblies have a resistor built in, so all you have to do is plug it in.

I don't recall what the 1893 plug looks like, but make sure the the light is emitted in the correct direction. The filament-based incandescent bulbs emit light in all directions, but LEDs have a directional lens on them, so they focus light in a narrower area and are not as easy to use in some mounting arrangements.

Also, note that the brightness of the new LED bulbs could be higher or lower than the original incandescent bulbs. For turn signals, it would be nice if the LEDs end up being brighter.

I did my Masters Thesis on high-brightness LEDs, so let me know if you have any other questions. I'll try not to ramble.

The LEDs plug right in and are super bright without the resistor. They just fit in the socket like a regular bulb and glow bright. The turn signals are especially bright.

Just make sure that whatever manuf. you go with matches the socket for your bulb and you should be all set.

PS: I paid the $12 shipping for 7 LED bulbs and wish I had added on the 2 bulbs for the front corner signal lamps!

The LEDs plug right in and are super bright without the resistor. They just fit in the socket like a regular bulb and glow bright.

These bulbs may already have a resistor inside the assembly. If so, then you should be able to just plug it in. If it is just a bare LED, and you do not hook up a resistor, the bulb will not last very long.

Actually, you can get 120VAC LEDs now.

The LEDs used in 120VAC house lighting are often the same 2-4V LEDs. The main difference is the power supply. I worked on the LEDs used for the headlights of the Audi R5 and R8. They're also commonly used for fancy residential interior lighting applications.

gala-71.jpg