Left rear caliper grinding against rotor ????

MustangLife

Jan 5, 2003
Chattanooga, TN
About 2 weeks ago I noticed a rubbing/scuffing sound coming from the rear. Didn't really know what it was and couldn't see anything from the wheel. We had weather in the teens and some snow, but anyway know place to work on the car in warm climate. Also a popping sound from the left rear/drivers side rear when backing up sharply. The other day I finally noticed the caliper is grinding against the driver side rear rotor. The only thing out of the norm I did was turning in a cramped parking lot the right front tire went up on a curb slightly. Nothing else out of the norm. Due to the cold weather and summer tires not working so well. I haven't even gotten the car past 3500 rpms in months. No burnouts or anything.

So what happened. Anyone have any ideas? The popping and the caliper grinding on the rotor? Almost sounds like 2 problems.

Thanks
Josh

• Sponsors (?)

Don't want to be alarmist or jump to conclusions but I'll throw this out anyway: C-clip in the differential.

The axle is held under the car by the C-clip. If the clip is somehow damaged or worn, if the slot in the axle is somehow worn or if the diff cross-shaft is worn, the axle may move laterally more than designed, allowing things like the rotor to contact the caliper. If you lift the rear of the car on that side and push and pull the axle in and out of the axle housing, how much movement do you see? You might have to take the brake caliper and pads off to check this properly.

The design of the rear caliper slide pins is bad about retaining moisture. The moisture and road salts will gall/rust the slid pins the to bracket. This prevents the free movement the calipers need to adjust.

Often this is noticed when brake pad drag/bind on one side. It can also show up as reduced braking effort from the rear.

Often the slide pins will appear normal but when disassembled, the binding will be apparent.

Good suggestion to check the axle half shaft in/out play.

Also, check the emergency brake cable for binding.

This is just an update. I had the car fixed but delays with the Snow Storm that hit the east side of the country. The caliper bracket was frozen. That was the issue. Went ahead and had the shop put in break pads and resruface rotors. The C-Clip and Axles were fine. Guess it was just one of those rare things that happen.

Josh