Let’s talk gasoline -

• Sponsors (?)

I have never used any of this stable goop or any other such snake oil. What I do, do is run high-test and when storing, full fuel cells. I believe a full cell prevents moisture from forming, cause the open space above the fuel is limited.

This is accurate. A sealed can will keep the fuel from absorbing moisture.

Fuel stabilizer (referring only to stabilizer) is not however, "snake oil". No sealed can will prevent fuel from turning to varnish over time. Fuel stabilizer is an additive that helps to slow that process. It also helps to keep the components of motor fuel from bonding to other surfaces. For the most part, it is more of additives that are already present in fuel packages sold at the pumps in the US.

Stabilizer is good if you're storing fuel for extended periods. It's more helpful in humid climates of storing fuel in the car.

I've seen people actually argue the point of keeping the car tank topped off versus using fuel stabilizer. LoL They both work for the same reason and that is to reduce the absorption rate of water into the fuel.

Im running the fuel in my mowers that sat in the back of a 300zx for 12 years. It smells horrible...but my mowers actually like it. I cut the first half of the lawn with one tank in the push mower...big yard ( riding mower needs a tire and I don't feel like it ). I was going to toss the three 5 gallon cans but my father said to try it and they should run even better. I trust him he's still running a late 49s ford tractor and an old Ferguson. He was right. Nothing like free gas. I won't be putting it in a car though.

Reactions: 1 user
What is this

I think that was Fords “tool” they gave you to disconnect the lines. There’s probably one at each connection. With the right pliers, those tabs would push in, and disconnect the lines.
AC2E9D00-6A85-4E34-B33D-10D4D18E193F.png

Yep - the white ring was to push in and squeeze the spring and allow to disconnect . But with a soap test did not see any bubbles here ( still heard hissing after I put a can in ) was getting ready to chalk it up as the coil in dash leak . As I was rinsing off the soap I saw the bubbles here on the clutch switch on canister . Grabbed a wrench and it was loose , tightened till no more hiss ! Will get a few more cans of 134a tmmrw and see - btw the Amazon radiator has been working great ( $80 )
22A07149-209E-46C4-9D79-14CBB541F6CC.png
EF098696-8A14-464A-B836-2240DA523E1F.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Amazing how much the price of a radiator has come down. thirty five years ago....a long time ago...They were very expensive , probably double the price with inflation over time. I worked at a junkyard out of H.S . and a used one was eighty bucks.

I worked at a car crush area and weighed scrap cars. Falcons , Camaros. Novas, all kinds of cars that would be worth thousands in the condition they were in then..1982 all kinds of cars from the sixties that were twenty years old.

Around here, the state is pushing E-15 with the EPA’s approval. But they only want it in 2001 and newer vehicles. I do not know what it will do to the AFR in a 91 EEC IV controlled 5.0, or a Holley carb without jet changes.
So at a fancy chain, you can get no ethyl alcohol in your fuel, E10, E15 and E85, all low octane rated, and often Deisel. At the older stations, you can get E15, at the price of other station’s E10, and EO, for an arm and a leg.

@a91what and other tuners, how much difference will 5% more denatured ethanol alcohol make in the tank???

I’d rather they left the other 5% in a bottle and not denature it.. ;-)

You need more ethonal than gasoline to keep the same AFR. What will happen is the car will run a touch lean. This can be compensated for by bumping the fuel pressure 2-3psi on an EFI engine and testing with a wideband

My car seems to run fine on 93 at 10% ethanol it usually has a touch of leaded fuel 1/2-3/4 gal per fillup to raise octane lube addiitive. With the ethanol once tuned, your egt's runs cooler and less chance for detonation.

I've seen what it does to fuel tanks, fuel pump hangers, pump hose clamps, and stock fuel lines. That stuff is never going in my car. Most marinas sell ethanol free fuel. I'm lucky to have a couple gas stations near me that have it.

You need more ethonal than gasoline to keep the same AFR. What will happen is the car will run a touch lean. This can be compensated for by bumping the fuel pressure 2-3psi on an EFI engine and testing with a wideband
I was hoping the O2 sensor would allow the computer to compensate, but i suppose that’s a lot to expect from a narrow band sensor and pre windows era chip. I’ll avoid E-15 for now, but now know where to go if it becomes the main fuel out here.
We had a flex fuel vehicle, and the more ethanol, the smoother it ran, and the lower the MPG. There is a fuel sensor that could be included in most new vehicles that would work with most new car computers.

Last edited:
I was hoping the O2 sensor would allow the computer to compensate. I’ll avoid it for now, but now know where to go if it becomes the main fuel out here.
we had a flex fuel vehicle, and the more ethanol, the smoother it ran, and the lower the MPG.
ethonal has a higher octane rating, E85 is the equivalent of 110 octane.
Moving a tune from gasoline to E85 requires roughly 155% more fuel.

once in closed loop the ECU will target 1v-1.1v from the narrow band sensor and the fuel trims will compensate. you will likely never notice the change

Ethanol free fuel hasn't been sold around my parts in over a decade. Therefore I haven't really had any other options other than E10 in my cars, lawn equipment, snowblower, weedwhacker, etc. When I dropped the tank on my fox a couple years ago (that has been running E10) it was spotless inside. My lawnmower sat all winter with a tank of E10 in it. I started it for the first time last week and it started first pull.

I know some have had trouble with it, but I really haven't had any issues at all running E10 in my climate.

I wonder why they dont sell ethanol free in your area at all. I can find it everywhere down here. A Walmart need me started selling 93 octane ethanol free gas. Thats the first time I've seen that. As for fueling small engines I've been seeing premixed gas for sell in cans at Lowe's and Home Depot. It cost more than I'm willing to spend, seeing I can get cheaper ethanol free and mix my own, but for someone worried about it it is an option. My father-in-law, who has owned a lawn and garden store for 30 something years, says that the premix stuff is 96 octane, and works great in 2 cycle lawn equipment. He does not promote it in favor of just mixing your own. Just that it is good for those that want to buy it.