Lets play a pricing game

allcarfan

The Answer Man
Founding Member
Apr 8, 2001
North Atlanta
I am sitting here at work on someone else's machine because my computer was comphiscated because it had some classified information on it. So, now I am bored. I had my halfway finished coupe on Ebay for sale for $10,000. I had an offer of $7500 with no engine or trans(rolling chassis no hood or eleanor body pieces) and I turned it down. Now, I am sitting here wondering what it would be worth to buyers if it were completed. See below for a complete listing of what is done to the car. Imagine the car being in EXCELLENT condition with new paint and great body work. Here goes:

Vehicle is a 1966 mustang coupe

Engine:
5.0 roller block XXX
Bored .030
hawks racing 331 crank
Eagle Hbeam rods
Ross low compression pistons
Plasma Moly rings
all new bearings
ARP rod bolts
DSS windage tray
DSS girdle
Highvolume oil pump
CHrome oil pan
Oringed Twisted wedge heads, with mild port work
Scorpion 1.6 Roller rockers
Powdercoated Timing chain cover with Noisy gear drive
TFS stage II camshaft
Cobra Aluminum finned valve covers
Victor Junior intake
Speed demon 650 carb
MSD dizzy with 6al box and blaster 2 coil
High volume water pump
All pullies powdercoated reflective chrome...along with all brackets
Almuminum Radiator

Fuel:
New stainless steel aftermarket line
New powdercoated chrome gas tank
New sending unit
Holley Fuel pressure regulator
Hollue Blue electric fuel pump

Suspension:

Rear:
4.5 mid eye springs
edelbrock IAS shocks
Caltrac Traction bars
Ford posi 9" with 3.50 gear
Subframe connectors

Front:
Complete custom IFS
Tubular upper and lower aarms powdercoated
Disc brakes
Rack and pinion steering (chromed rack)
Flaming River column
Adjustable coil over shocks (ride height and firmness)

17x8" Chrome Bullet wheels with 245/45 nitto 555r in the rear and kuhmo 225/45 in front

Exhaust:
FPA headers (ceramic coated)
2.5" dr gas xpipe
Hooker AeroChamber mufflers
HTS coated (chrome like) tailpipes
3.5" tips through GT valance

Transmission:
Art Carr AOD
Manual valvebody with electronic OD delete
Edge 2600rpm stall converter
Hammer-style B&M shifter
Aluminum driveshaft

Body:
Cowl replaced
Floor pans replaced
Dash smoothed
3" cowl hood
Eleanor head lights and front bumper cover
billet grilles
GT style rear valance
Cobra side scoops - molded in
California special decklid with molded in endcaps
Painted mixing white with sonic blue stripes...then coated in blue pearl clear

Interior:
dash smoothed and painted black
new door panels
new stock seats
new carpet
new headliner
new guages
(basically all new interior with good, shiny, hardware)

Misc:
Billet master cylinder
Chrome shock tower covers (no shock towers)
Engine bay painted gloss black
new brakes lines
All wires hidden (except plug wires of course)
battery in trunk
New Stereo headunit with 5.25" speakers in kick panel and 6x9 in package tray (small amp to both)
Trunk finished with black carpet

Car rating of 7.5-8.5 1 being a clunker with tons of rust....10 being a boyd coddington BJ Auction car

So, what would you pay?

• Sponsors (?)

I will give you $6.00 but the stick will be real dull.:stick:

Ya cheap bastidge! I'll give the boy $10 and several "bops" on the noggin with a 2 lb mini-BFH :lol:

Seriously, allcarfan, if I were you and was to finish the old girl out the way you describe; I'd be finding out how much it would cost to run it through B-J. It wouldn't bring anywhere near as much as if it were a clone of a car that starred in a clone of a "B" (notice, I avoided the use of the "E-word"); but one of those fools would still probably pay you more than it's worth and even more than you put in it. :

Haha...good responses guys. So far, the going rate is $10.

As I said, I was offered $7500 for the roller chassis. The body is good, but needs to be assembled, fitted, and painted. I know I have $5000 into the engine and another $2100 in the transmission. I am thinking when it is all said and done....high teens/low 20s. Who knows, maybe more.

Thank goodness I am FINALLY brining the car to MY garage so I can work on it some more. It has been a long time.

Thanks Captain Obvious. That is a given with nearly every car that is built. I understand that there is no way I will get out of it, what I have in it, but that wasnt the question now, was it?:D

Then what's the frigging point, to find out just how much you would loose by finishing the car?

I'll give you $7400 finished, does that make you happy?

The smart money would have been to sell the roller for $7500, but it sounds like you're not into the smart money.

Ya, by the sounds of it, I would of taken the 7500 also. (I dont think I'd even do that much TBO)

My question to you is, even if you could get 20 for it from that list your going to take it in the $#@.

As far as not making money doing a car up, well. I guess there are those that can and those that cant.

Then what's the frigging point, to find out just how much you would loose by finishing the car?

To answer your question.....NO (see how easy it is to answer a simple question?)

Ok....slowly.....expressing.....my point.....in my original thread. Sit down and take meds before you read this, it might be a bit much to handle all at once.

Point of original post:

What........do........you........think........a.......car.........with........the.......stated.......mods......and......condition........would........be........worth?

I dont see what makes that hard to understand? :shrug: :SNSign: :rolleyes:

And blown......

I dont have as much in it as you may think. One of the advantages of owning a Performance Part and accessory corporation.

ok, so that list you put up, your saying there isnt >20k there? I guess there is more markup than I thought in that stuff then.

Actually, 7100 just engine and tranny. So whats the cost of the car, suspension, brakes etc etc on that list. Not my prob you dont like my answer I guess.

If you can make it a 9.5 - 10 car and unique where you could sell at Barrett or the like, then hell ya. Otherwise sounds like a terrible investment of money and time IMO. (Even if you have 18k in parts and break even, your time is worth how much again?)

ok, so that list you put up, your saying there isnt >20k there? I guess there is more markup than I thought in that stuff then.

Actually, 7100 just engine and tranny. So whats the cost of the car, suspension, brakes etc etc on that list. Not my prob you dont like my answer I guess.

If you can make it a 9.5 - 10 car and unique where you could sell at Barrett or the like, then hell ya. Otherwise sounds like a terrible investment of money and time IMO. (Even if you have 18k in parts and break even, your time is worth how much again?)

no where near $20,000 there.

And, as I said, I am not interested in what I will lose on it if I were to sell. If I were interested in that, I would have posted that. Or, I would go buy a new car, drive it off the lot and lose a few thousand dollars.

To you it is a terrible time investment...to me...it is money well spent on a hobby that I have learned so much about.

My advice, Find a good donor car body ie.. fastback on conv.
remove all your pretty parts and transplant them over. sell the coupe. it just doesnt make much sense to have all that money in a coupe.