License Plate Removal?

Shawneebear93

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
May 4, 2004
Salisbury Twp, Allentown, PA
How do I go about removing the front license plate holder on my '93 LX? Ive been fiddling with it a while but haven't gotten anywhere.

Also ... what about that long piece of (black) plastic under the front (stock)ground effects? I haven't looked at this yet but figured while I was posting this Id ask.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know about the plate holder (the Commonwealth of Virginia dictates mandatory use of the front license plate), but my brother says that the black plastic piece beneath the front end helps to direct air or create a vacuum or somehow assist in cooling the radiator since the stang does'nt have a grill like other vehicles(and my brother knows everything :nono: don't take that off!)

No front plate in KY, IN, or MI. I know personally I lived in 2 of them and deal with idiots from the third on the road daily when i lived in both areas. Pull the bumper and get the nuts off from the inside of the holder. I cut mine off and then filled the holes with melted plactic then sanded it off and repainted it.

OK, LOL, this is simple guys if the liscence buero gave you 2 plates 1 for the back and 1 for the front then it is the law to have them both on the car. If they give you only 1 place it on the back and be happy and you can legeally remove the front holder.

originally posted by : kiddiccarus
OK, LOL, this is simple guys if the liscence buero gave you 2 plates 1 for the back and 1 for the front then it is the law to have them both on the car. If they give you only 1 place it on the back and be happy and you can legeally remove the front holder.

That's using your noodle

break out your socket set , lay on your back and take out the retaining bolts and your good to go. I've had mine off and havent been hassled for it, though im not positive its needed now that they have banned speed traps in so-cal? i dont know any cops who can read plates from there rear view mirrors :p

KoolAid4Cyl. said:
is it legal in NC? or is the front liscense plate a fifty state thing?(altough i doubt the'll car about that in alsaka)

No front plates needed in NC. The front plate bracket is one of the first things I took off of my car when I got it.

tealtiger93 said:
Also ... what about that long piece of (black) plastic under the front (stock)ground effects? I haven't looked at this yet but figured while I was posting this Id ask.

I heard it was a mud and rock guard so it would prevent road items such as dirt rocks, snow, ice a little bit better. When I bought my car it was half hanging off so I just cut the rest off. Looks better now. I say its safe to rip off.