Fox Life of a whiny T5 (Solved)

• Sponsors (?)

Might be time to get some marking compound and check the patten like in a rear end gear to really see the contact patten.

This is out of the T5 rebuild manual, but I think it's rather useless as doesn't give a cause
1672862491344.png

Reason i asked about the brand of the gears is because I'm wondering if mixing gears from two different vendors would result in the gear profiles not matching up.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Well now both the input and cluster gear are AMP distributing. I'm installing the replacement cluster gear now. I made sure to press the new bearing on past the shaft like 90sickfox showed.

Cluster.jpg

Here is the clearance between the case and the end of the cluster gear. Measured to be approx. 0.050 in

Pretty much exactly the same as the original cluster gear.

Ok more info. I've got everything installed and ready to go.

I have some concerns about the mesh between the input shaft and the cluster gear:
InputMesh.jpg

Notice how the input shaft is further out than the cluster gear? I'm unsure if that is the correct mesh.

MoreMesh.jpg

You can see here that the red mesh appears to be incorrect but the ones in blue seem to be right...

If anyone knows whats correct here, I'd love to know before I seal it up.

I've seen that before and it was normal. No issues with whining.

Here are some pics from the great interweb

Screenshot_20230104_235358_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230104_235324_Chrome.jpg

Phew.

Well I got it all installed and success! Its quiet! I put normal Valvoline ATF in it. Third gear still has a very small whine, but I believe that is the third gear itself as it had some wear and I never replaced it. Very quiet. Nothing I'm going to worry about.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users
There front bearing on the cluster gear gets a lot of people. The little plastic nipple on the end causes a bunch of issues too if left out.

Total spent for those who are curious:
  • AMP Distributing Input shaft $89.95
  • AMP Distributing Main shaft $199.95
  • AMP Distributing Cluster gear $129.95
  • LMR T5 speedometer 3.73 rear gear kit $33.99
  • Timken LM67048 Bearing $5.33
  • Valvoline DEX/MERC ATF $17.98
Total: $477.15

Reactions: 2 users