lightning maf IAT

I am soon installing my vortech and thanks to someone elses thread I found out that the lmaf doesnt have a IAT built into it. I have a IAT sensor that came with my kit. I have searched and found another thread similar to mine but I am still un-clear as how to actually wire this damn thing in. I would step up to a sct maf buy Iam not running enough boost for something like that. can someone who has actually done this help me out?

• Sponsors (?)

the outer two wires on the maf harness are the ones you need. I cut the wires about an inch away from the harness and then ran the IAT pigtail from thoses wires. I left about an inch incase I wanted to go back to stock one day.

The polarity doesnt mater, BTW :)

You should download the instructions for it from their web site. Your kit should have come with a new iat sensor that you have to put in the intake pipe that attaches to the intake manifold. (atleast my procharger did) You have to splice the wires from the maf plug over to the iat sensor like silverbullet said.

You should download the instructions for it from their web site. Your kit should have come with a new iat sensor that you have to put in the intake pipe that attaches to the intake manifold. (atleast my procharger did) You have to splice the wires from the maf plug over to the iat sensor like silverbullet said.

I have the sensor. but I have been told that it should be mounted in the charge pipe to get a true intake temp because the supercharger is gona heat the air more.

I just read the vortec manual on line and it shows the iat before the supercharger, which is contrary to everything I have been told. I got my procharger from http://www.jmschip.com/ and they sell all their vortec kits with lightning mafs so im sure if you call them they could talk you through it pretty easily. By the way, my procharger kit looks a lot easier to install then your vortec.:D

I just read the vortec manual on line and it shows the iat before the supercharger, which is contrary to everything I have been told. I got my procharger from http://www.jmschip.com/ and they sell all their vortec kits with lightning mafs so im sure if you call them they could talk you through it pretty easily. By the way, my procharger kit looks a lot easier to install then your vortec.:D

I know. thats why iam confused.

Nothing at all to be confused about. The IAT sensor needs to go between the blower and the engine, but after the intercooler/aftercooler. Simple as that, I dont care what some shops directions say, thats how it is supposed to go.

Why can I say this? Because I tuned my old turbo 04 GT myself, and I know the importance and role the IAT sensor plays in things. It NEEDS to know the intake inlet temps just before it goes into the engine so it knows when and how much to start pulling timing if the charge is too hot.

Now if these were a factory supercharged setup (L or cobra) and you were converting to a centri...then the IAT 1 should go before the blower (or just off somehwere so it knows true outside air temps) and the IAT 2 should go in the charge pipe or just stay in the intake manifold like it is from teh factory. IAT 1s in their case does nothing with the timing....just is used for refrence so it knows what the pre blower temps are, that way it expects IAT 2s to be a little higher if its hot outside. If its sensing 12* air IAT 1 and your IAT 2s are 200*s, then it should throw a code because it knows somthing is wrong. IAT 2 is what is actually used by the EEC to determine when to pull timing in the case of the cobra and Lightning.

yea more information than you needed, but you get the point :D

What?!

Are you using the tune Vortech supplies, or are you going to dyno tune it? If you are using the vortech tune you might have to if thats how its tuned. If you are using an aftermarket tune I would really put it after the blower.

The blower compresses the air and makes it hot. So if you put your IAT sensor before the blower, it doesnt see this. Basically its much safer if you put it right before the throttle body.. thats where mine is with my mongoose tune.

didnt want to start a new thread to ask yet another question about this.

How can I tell witch IAT I have? someone told me that there is one that really doesnt do anything and there is the one for the lightning that does. I have one that was sent with my kit but am not sure witch one it is. anyone got a part number?

if the IAT is threaded it's the lightning part number...

Also you don't cut any wires, just use a pick to pull out the appropriate 2 wires. Slip em on the pig tail, and put some silicone in there.

Or you can buy one of the IAT plugs to make it plug n play.

if the IAT is threaded it's the lightning part number...

Also you don't cut any wires, just use a pick to pull out the appropriate 2 wires. Slip em on the pig tail, and put some silicone in there.

Or you can buy one of the IAT plugs to make it plug n play.

do i have to use the lightning IAT? and can you explaine to me exactly what wires you are talking about. its been said before in this thread buy i'm still un clear about it thanks.