LIMITED OR POSI??

torch93

Aug 14, 2010
bakersfield c.a
hey guys how we doing? just a rookie question again, long time ago before i really got into mustangs i got a rear diff with 373 and left it at that. now when do my burn outs and launches both my tires would spin at the times, on left turns and right turns they would both spin. that was in 2005 and now that ive dropped a 342 in it i notice that im only spinning one tire on my power break, but sometimes it looks like they both wanna spin but then one stops? did my diff just go out? and is there a way to see if i got a posi or limited? some car guy told me to jack up my car and see if both my wheels spin the same direction? i did, and they do..:shrug: .. is the rear diff something one can rebuild? clutches just need to replace?:shrug: help??

T.I.A

• Sponsors (?)

yeah, you just need to order a new clutch pack and friction modifier. You can probably still order that stuff from FRPP, but certainly from any performance shop or even over the counter at your local parts store. The S-spring in the rear diff is a PITA, but other than that, the work is pretty easy, and shouldn't cost more than $100 all said and done.

Another suggestion:

Check Ebay. I've gotten a used unit that has already been rebuilt. It cost me roughly $90 plus shipping. I pulled the old one, put in the new one, then rebuilt and pickled the old one as a spare. It's sits on the shelf awaiting the next time I might need it.

The rebuild kits go for $58 or so.

Id suggest getting an eaton and never looking back. Mine has survived a ton of burnouts, donuts, powerslides, you name it, one of the most reliable pieces on my car. It has really taken an ass kicking and still leaves two very dark marks all the time.

You know what else is guaranteed to leave 2 big black stripes every time you don't break an axle? A spool! That what I'm going with:lol:

True that, I was going to put one in when i did 9" ends but my eaton was in such good shape i just kept it. But if i ever replace the eaton a spool is definitly going in

Cool cool, is there a difference between posi or limited? Could I find a how 2 do online that u guys suggest? I'm going to pull that diff out tonite and give it a shot

It's a limited slip differential

Ford's brand name is Traction-Lok

GM's brand name is Posi-Traction

They are both limited slip differentials...those are just the markering names for them

I would go with the spool too. I have a full spool in my 90 and really like it even though most said it would be a bad idea on the street. I got caught in the rain a couple times that got a little scary but, I think that had more to do with the drag radials than the spool. Sharp turns into a parking space makes the tires cherp a little. My buddy got a big kick out of it when I parked on a slight hill fully turned the steering wheel & didnt need the parking brake lol.

"Traction Lock is cheap, but not conducive to serious drag racing, detroit locker works great but can be noisy, auburn is awesome, but cannot be rebuilt."

^^^This is what a good buddy of mine told me about diffs. tonight.

Power level, slicks?

Spool? Is the way to go huh? That could be in my plans, I'm hearing alot of good things about it.. I do have two diffs, for now I'll just change the clutches, and on my spare I'll go spool since I'm going five lug aswell .. Thanks guys