Limited Slip or Lockers?

69Rcode_Mach1

Apr 20, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
Hey guys i wanted to know if i should spend my money on some lockers or limited slip? I am going to upgrade to 3.73's and want to know. I heard limited slip wears off. Is this true? The car will be a street car with occasional visits to the track. Very rarely though. What do you guys think? Also what brands do you guys recommend and what will it cost me around?

• Sponsors (?)

Locker will definitely hook-up better, but it will be noisy as hell in turns and can lock during a turn meaning one tire will be sliding.

The LSD is much more streetable. It can wear down because it has a clutch, similar to the clutch in a tranny. But it takes quite a while to wear down...like the clutch in a tranny.

For a primarily street car, I'd go with the LSD. But that's IMHO.

I wish people would drop the "noisy as hell" thing.... Its just absolutely not true at all with the new generation of Locker. A locker is much more predictable in its action than a LSD in my experience, you learn exactly when and how its gonna lock up. If you go into a turn locked up all you get it some understeer, again, very predictable. IMO, from having both several LSDs, compared to a locker they just seem Mickey Mouse; in a 9" Ford they don't have as much space for clutch packs as opposed to other rears. I love my Locker, and it is very streetable, I am so happy with it I'd NEVER even consider a LSD again. If you search over at the VMF you'll find alot of other guys that share the sentiment.

I'd definitely recommend the Detroit Locker No-SPIN unit. I've had this in my car for two months and I can't get enough of it. It is a little temperamental, but you get used to it quickly. It is very quiet while driving but you'll feel it engage/disengage at times, which I like. :D

I can only recommend the Detroit Locker unit as that's what I have. My brother has had this same unit in his Mustang for 8 years now without a single problem. Prices vary so you'll have to do some researching. Good luck!

By the way, if you're adding Victor Jr.'s, it's probably a good idea to add a 750 cfm carburetor and 3.73 or 4.10 gears. You'll be having a LOT of fun then!

I've had Detroit Locker for years and would recommend that unless you're doing heavy track time, get a limited slip rear. The Detroit Locker is a great piece, but is NOT a good daily driver rear. There are many excellant LS setups that will suite your needs AND be a good rear for weekend warrior duty.

The issue with the new lockers is not the noise, the unequal traction in slow turns (ie, turning at a red light or pulling out into traffic) will drive you bonkers, on a daily driver. The lockers make the car wiggle like a fat woman's butt. My .02.

I think what is happening here is people are getting confused on what is exactly a locker. There are Detroit Lockers and then there is the crap like Detroit EZ-Locker. Those $250 POS are not worth it. Regardless of what you decide to get (LSD or a real locker) remember this, you get what you pay for.

6Stang7 said:
I think what is happening here is people are getting confused on what is exactly a locker. There are Detroit Lockers and then there is the crap like Detroit EZ-Locker. Those $250 POS are not worth it. Regardless of what you decide to get (LSD or a real locker) remember this, you get what you pay for.

I think the Detroit EZ Locker is similar to the Powertrax LockRite. I may be wrong, but over at FordMuscle.com they ran a 67 into the high 11s with an 8" 4.11 gears, a Lock Right and better 28 spline axles. It seemed to have taken a lot of abuse with no problems.

stangman67 said:
I think the Detroit EZ Locker is similar to the Powertrax LockRite. I may be wrong, but over at FordMuscle.com they ran a 67 into the high 11s with an 8" 4.11 gears, a Lock Right and better 28 spline axles. It seemed to have taken a lot of abuse with no problems.
I had a Detroit EZ Locker, had it installed with my 4.11 gears and the **** never worked. Besides the extra time to remove it, I was out $60+ in shipping and tax. :notnice: