Lincoln 430 info anyone ?

jfman

Jan 13, 2006
Anybody on here knows a little bit about the motors that came in lincoln of the '60's.

A 430ci V8.

I'm wondering if it is possible to install a 5.0 in a car that originaly came with a 430.

Are they from the family of engines ?

• Sponsors (?)

I know you can put any motor in any car. I have a 1970 chevelle with a ls1 motor in it.

What I want to know is if they are from the same family. DO THEY SHARE THE SAME BOLT PATTER FOR THE TRANNY, DO THEY SHARE SIMILAR MOUNTS...

It might as well be a Chevy engine. In other words nothing is the same. I also wouldn't count on the 5.0 doing much in the way of performance in a car that big. You're going to have to get that 5.0 up to 350 hp and well over 400 ft lbs of torque to get similar performance.

The MEL engine family used the same bolt patterns as the FE engine family.

And if you are going to replace the engine you might as well put a 429 or 460 into it instead of a 302.

This is a good idea. Youll need torque to move that boat. I would go 351, 390, (428 , 429 if you can find one) or a 460. If you still have the 430 inquire about a rebuild to stock specs to save some money. Just clean up the cylinders , new rings , you can get a new cam with lifters and you mite as well freshen up the heads if you still have em!

The 430 is an FE, like a 360-390-406, 410, 428 and 427, etc.

I am not sure, but someone may know if it has the same bolt pattern as the M series and 460 etc.

Otherwise you need to do a swap from scratch, although it should be relatively easy. You need an engine and trans. It the car is a 62 or later, where some version came with a 260 or 289, thats a starting point.

MEL is the Ford acronym for Mercury, Edsel, Lincoln. FE is Ford Edsel.

The FE is a Y block in that the crank hangs lower in the block than you're used to seeing on more modern engines like the M engines. The block is basically a Y configuration looking from the front or back. Bolt patterns are specific to the MEL and FE.

A fuel injected 302 is going to be no better at gas mileage then the engine it came with. Lincolns from that era are huge, heavy cars, many well in excess of 4,000 pounds with really bad drag co-efficients.The 5.0 with 300 ft lbs of torque is going to struggle to pull the car and the faster you go the worse it gets. That's why they put huge engines with gobs of torque in them.

No, a 302 is not a FE, it is a Windsor.

MEL is the Ford acronym for Mercury, Edsel, Lincoln. FE is Ford Edsel.

The FE is a Y block in that the crank hangs lower in the block than you're used to seeing on more modern engines like the M engines. The block is basically a Y configuration looking from the front or back. Bolt patterns are specific to the MEL and FE.

A fuel injected 302 is going to be no better at gas mileage then the engine it came with. Lincolns from that era are huge, heavy cars, many well in excess of 4,000 pounds with really bad drag co-efficients.The 5.0 with 300 ft lbs of torque is going to struggle to pull the car and the faster you go the worse it gets. That's why they put huge engines with gobs of torque in them.

No, a 302 is not a FE, it is a Windsor.

Does the 302 have the same bolt pattern as the 430 at the bellhousing ? Whatever I want to intall in there has to be fuel injected. If that means an lsx motor then so be it.

Does the 302 have the same bolt pattern as the 430 at the bellhousing ? Whatever I want to intall in there has to be fuel injected. If that means an lsx motor then so be it.

Screw the bolt patterns. Use the matching tranny to the motor. Just custom make a cross member. Not hard to do on old school stuff. Off the line the 302 wont be bad. But when cruising at higher speeds you wont have much torque to it.
And have someone custom fit the drive shaft!

The 430 Lincoln is not a FE. It shares the same bellhousing and motor mount bolt patterns as the FE, Thats it. A 5.0L is too small for that big car. The only other motors that will get it up and moving are the 429-460's. They have torque. But you'll have to change everything to install one. Even the tranny. Just rebuild the 430. You will be much happier.

How can the 302 be too small for that 4300lbs car but can make a 6000lbs f150 with a lift and 33in tires run just fine?

I'm not building a race car I just want a nice fuel injected powerplant in the car that gets better than 10mpg.

So will someone just tell me what I wanna know?

DO THE 302 AND THE LINCOLN 430 SHARE THE SAME BOLT PATTERN ON THE BELLHOUSING ?

The rest I can deal with on my own.

I dont wanna hear about how slow the car will be, because I simply dont care. Dont tell me it's harder to pull a 4300lbs car than a 5000lbs+ 4X4 explorer with a lift kit and 35 inch tires.

DO THE 302 AND THE LINCOLN 430 SHARE THE SAME BOLT PATTERN ON THE BELLHOUSING ?

Since you can't read between the lines the answer is no.

BTW, the 5.0 in my F-150 gets around 9-10 mpg when I'm pulling my trailer. Truck weighs around 4300 pounds and trailer is around 2000 pounds. Even without the trailer I got whopped by a 4.0 litre Jeep one time. It ain't fast.