Lincoln 4V swap to 97

krazedstang

15 Year Member
Mar 23, 2009
Streamwood
I have a 97 GT with a 5 speed, a couple of the pistons met the valves. So I was looking at engine swaps. I was looking at a 4.6 4v out of a Lincoln, what would be needed for the swap? and is it worth it?

• Sponsors (?)

I performed my first 4V swap some time around 1998, and have done a few others since then. Some peripherals depend on the year model of the engine, but if you get a complete Lincoln 4V without the rear mounted throttle body, you will have easier success with the induction pipes.

Depending on the year model of the heads, you could use related Mustang parts for accessories in your swap. In either case, you will need a k member, and engine mounts. Depending on which k member, you may need parts to correct the steering geometry, and most likely a Mustang oil pan.

You'll need a 4V wiring harness and PCM, unless you go with stand alone. You will need a different exhaust, mid pipe with headers or stock, Mustang, 4V manifolds.

You will need to consider the power steering system / lines, and the fuel line adaptation.

A flywheel and bellhousing may be needed, depending on the trans you use. Radiator connections will need to be addressed.

I did not have to get a different driveshaft.

I'm sure there are more small things, but that will give you a good idea of major cost concerns.

I performed my first 4V swap some time around 1998, and have done a few others since then. Some peripherals depend on the year model of the engine, but if you get a complete Lincoln 4V without the rear mounted throttle body, you will have easier success with the induction pipes.

Depending on the year model of the heads, you could use related Mustang parts for accessories in your swap. In either case, you will need a k member, and engine mounts. Depending on which k member, you may need parts to correct the steering geometry, and most likely a Mustang oil pan.

You'll need a 4V wiring harness and PCM, unless you go with stand alone. You will need a different exhaust, mid pipe with headers or stock, Mustang, 4V manifolds.

You will need to consider the power steering system / lines, and the fuel line adaptation.

A flywheel and bellhousing may be needed, depending on the trans you use. Radiator connections will need to be addressed.

I did not have to get a different driveshaft.

I'm sure there are more small things, but that will give you a good idea of major cost concerns.

2V K member and mounts will suffice
Steering and oil pan dont need any "correcting"
2V harness (with some minor adjustments) and ECU will work fine
2V power steering and fuel dont need any adjustments
Radiator connections wont be an issue

It's a 4.6 DOHC out of a Mark VIII, that's pretty much all the info I was given.

93-96 feature a rear mount throttle body.

97-97 feature an intake similar to the 96+ cobra that’s easier to use.

You can also swap a 96-98 cobra intake on. There are some other small nuances that do make a difference. It’s not exactly the same engine as the 96-01 cobra

Reactions: 1 user
93-96 feature a rear mount throttle body.

97-97 feature an intake similar to the 96+ cobra that’s easier to use.

You can also swap a 96-98 cobra intake on. There are some other small nuances that do make a difference. It’s not exactly the same engine as the 96-01 cobra
Yeah, I believe I read the Mark VIII has a cast crank while the Cobra's are forged. Is that correct?

dude get an all aluminum aviator or explorer 2v and slam that sucker in there. you'll lose like 80 lbs off the nose and you'll save a lot of headache.
EVERYTHING with the 4v's costs more and is more of a hassle. everything.

dude get an all aluminum aviator or explorer 2v and slam that sucker in there. you'll lose like 80 lbs off the nose and you'll save a lot of headache.
EVERYTHING with the 4v's costs more and is more of a hassle. everything.

....or maybe he wants to make some real power?

My biased opinion if you are dead set on a swap - https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/5-4l-dohc-swap.879938/

Is the power potential greater on a 5.4 4v or 4.6 4v? YES. But you could throw some pistons into your 97 block (if they are damaged) and slap on some 4v heads or find a set of 2v PIs instead. This of course assumes that you had a timing chain failure. If you threw a rod(s) then a head swap might not make sense.

Sean Hyland indicates that the pistons in your engine have a 11-cc dish, whereas the 4v has a 3-cc dish. If you swapped 4v heads (52cc combustion chamber volume) on your block, you would be at a 9.17:1 compression ratio. Stock is 9.28:1 with 96-98 2v heads (51cc combustion chamber volume).

2v 96-98 heads flow 156 CFM at .500" lift on the Intake and 117 CFM on the exhaust.
4v 96-98 B Series flow 231 CFM at .500" lift on the intake and 146 CFM on the exhaust.
2v PI heads flow 156 CFM on the intake and 133 CFM on the exhaust at .500" lift.
WHAT!? Why do PI swapped 4.6s make more power!? (the difference here is that the PI head is a 42cc combustion chamber head and will raise compression to 10.52:1 with 96-98 11cc dish pistons) :)

Here is a dyno video of a 96 with the PI heads and typical bolt ons.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t890ADU1AOQ

He made 293 rwhp and 325 lbft.

My 5.4 4v made 273 rwhp and 316 lbft. I used a dynojet and the video above uses a powerdyno, so the numbers aren't apples to apples (I also had a faulty TPS), but I had a hell of a lot of work in swapping to a 5.4 4v. PI head swap (assuming your pistons aren't trash) could be done in a weekend without pulling the engine!

My two cents! Good Luck!

Last edited:
2V K member and mounts will suffice
Steering and oil pan dont need any "correcting"
2V harness (with some minor adjustments) and ECU will work fine
2V power steering and fuel dont need any adjustments
Radiator connections wont be an issue
Okay, it seems you are here to make trouble, judging from your condescending, and useless posts to myself and others.

I did not specify 2V or 4V K member nor mounts, just a K member and mounts that will accept a 4.6L engine obviously.

I never said the oil pan needed "correcting", but the Mark VIII oil pan is best replaced with a proper Mustang pan.

In some cases the steering geometry can need correction, depending on the exact K member, rack, A arms, and spindles used. The OP never stated which steering parts he plans to use. I just mentioned it, so it could be taken into account.

I said fuel and steering line adaptation, not "adjustments".

A person could scratch build a harness with wire, pins, and a PCM connector too, but why complicate things for the sake of argument? Just because some can easily convert, or build a harness doesn't mean it's everyone's strong suit.

I never said the radiator connections would be an issue, but fitment needs to be addressed.

That's all the time I have for bantering semantics, enjoy yourself!

My biased opinion if you are dead set on a swap - https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/5-4l-dohc-swap.879938/

Is the power potential greater on a 5.4 4v or 4.6 4v? YES. But you could throw some pistons into your 97 block (if they are damaged) and slap on some 4v heads or find a set of 2v PIs instead. This of course assumes that you had a timing chain failure. If you threw a rod(s) then a head swap might not make sense.

Sean Hyland indicates that the pistons in your engine have a 11-cc dish, whereas the 4v has a 3-cc dish. If you swapped 4v heads (52cc combustion chamber volume) on your block, you would be at a 9.17:1 compression ratio. Stock is 9.28:1 with 96-98 2v heads (51cc combustion chamber volume).

2v 96-98 heads flow 156 CFM at .500" lift on the Intake and 117 CFM on the exhaust.
4v 96-98 B Series flow 231 CFM at .500" lift on the intake and 146 CFM on the exhaust.
2v PI heads flow 156 CFM on the intake and 133 CFM on the exhaust at .500" lift.
WHAT!? Why do PI swapped 4.6s make more power!? (the difference here is that the PI head is a 42cc combustion chamber head and will raise compression to 10.52:1 with 96-98 11cc dish pistons) :)

Here is a dyno video of a 96 with the PI heads and typical bolt ons.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t890ADU1AOQ

He made 293 rwhp and 325 lbft.

My 5.4 4v made 273 rwhp and 316 lbft. I used a dynojet and the video above uses a powerdyno, so the numbers aren't apples to apples (I also had a faulty TPS), but I had a hell of a lot of work in swapping to a 5.4 4v. PI head swap (assuming your pistons aren't trash) could be done in a weekend without pulling the engine!

My two cents! Good Luck!

For reference my 4v with flat top pistons 99 heads full exhaust (mid length headers no cats) and jlt intake feeding a mach 1 intake only made 320rwhp and 325ft lbs. If I had a GT wit a busted motor i'd throw one of those all aluminum 4.6's in it if i could find it. weight loss is amazing.

the 4v's look badass but i'm telling you the juice is only worth the squeeze if you already got it.
cams for these mothers are like 1300 bucks a set. the cooling system is stupid.
they're heavy as hell
parts are harder to find and thusly more expensive

oh and did i mention its gonna use every spare inch of your engine bay? :D

I am finishing up my 4v aviator into a v6 swap. I knew it would be expensive especially after watching a few videos and pricing parts. My junkyard motor had a cracked valve and stripped out four thread spark plug holes so I went back for some 04 heads, which strangely enough, cost a little more than pulling an entire complete engine. So I decided to freshen up the engine, including a valve job, So I talked myself into new lifters and rockers. They are only $7 each, multiplied by 32. The timing set from Ford racing is totally worth it ($500). I am serious. It comes with all the bolts , including crank and cam bolts, and the metal tensioners. I spent over $1000 on the Mach 1 water pipes,, front cover, windage tray, some cobra valve covers and intake pipe, a $400 intake, probably $800 in Mach 1 computer and harnesses. While a GT computer will run a 4v, I wanted to do it "right" to pass smog in CA. I found the list of approved Cats and welded up my own exaust ($1000), not including the cheapo FX mufflers that sound pretty good. I just got mine started, but waiting on a radiator, another $200.
There are tons of write ups out there. This question is asked every week. The coil wiring is easy because Ford used the same colors most of the time for each device or sensor. I got a used Wiring Manual on ebay. I also used Forscan to program the PATS with a ODBX dongle. I had two factory keys and it worked. Cannot program vin though.
Looking back, I could have done my project for a fraction of the money if I went 2v. Half as many valves. I have come across several GTs in the u-pulls-it with all the harnesses and computer, manuals, rear ends, etc. Anyway , I was surprised how easily the engine with the tr3650 went in.

Okay, it seems you are here to make trouble, judging from your condescending, and useless posts to myself and others.

I did not specify 2V or 4V K member nor mounts, just a K member and mounts that will accept a 4.6L engine obviously.

I never said the oil pan needed "correcting", but the Mark VIII oil pan is best replaced with a proper Mustang pan.

In some cases the steering geometry can need correction, depending on the exact K member, rack, A arms, and spindles used. The OP never stated which steering parts he plans to use. I just mentioned it, so it could be taken into account.

I said fuel and steering line adaptation, not "adjustments".

A person could scratch build a harness with wire, pins, and a PCM connector too, but why complicate things for the sake of argument? Just because some can easily convert, or build a harness doesn't mean it's everyone's strong suit.

I never said the radiator connections would be an issue, but fitment needs to be addressed.

That's all the time I have for bantering semantics, enjoy yourself!

Ive done this swap. Maybe its time for a fresh tampon

Ive done this swap. Maybe its time for a fresh tampon

how much power did you make NA?

Oh, you probably used something to cram boost into it right?

sure, 4v's will make more power at the limit but who the hell REALLY goes to the limit?

but i'm the kind of weirdo that is totally happy with a mere 320rwhp and 4.10's because I probably got more in the suspension than I do engine.

Last edited:
how much power did you make NA?

Oh, you probably used something to cram boost into it right?

sure, 4v's will make more power at the limit but who the hell REALLY goes to the limit?

but i'm the kind of weirdo that is totally happy with a mere 320rwhp and 4.10's because I probably got more in the suspension than I do engine.
What? Try making some sense