Lincoln Mark VII rear axle/brake swap...

MikeC

Founding Member
Aug 1, 2002
SLC, UT
Will the rear differential from an 1989 Lincoln MarkVII LSC 5.0 work in a Fox mustang? The local Pick and Pull has one. The rear disc look pretty large (11" plus). Is this a good swap into my 92? What is the axle flange to flange distance? Is it the same as a Mustang? What about lug bolt diameter? It is 5 lug which would be good. What ratio should be in it? It has an auto trans. It is a limited slip diff.
I think I can get it for about $100.

• Sponsors (?)

It's an 8.8 rear with 11.35" disks. The axle flange distance is 3" wider than stock (1.25" wider each side). Gears will either be 3.08's or 3.27's depending on what model Mark 7 it comes from. Bolt pattern is the same. rear calipers are 54mm units

Is it a good swap? Well it depends on what wheels you want to run. It's basically an SVO rear disk setup. If you use SVO 5-lug rotors and SVO 73mm calipers, you can have SVO setup if you also use the Master cylinder.

DOwnside is the rear wheels will stick WAAAAY out.

There is a way to modify the setup to retain fox width using ranger axles. I can provide a web site if you are interested

My opinion is it's an outdated setup. It's heavy, replacement parts are expensive (calipers, rotors) and the extra width doesn't work with many wheels and the e-=brake is tough to make work

But it's cheap, and if you are willing to work at it can be made to work well.

Another possibility is if you can find a 91-92 Mark 7 rear.

It had a different setup using smaller 10.5" vented rotors and varga-style calipers. I don't beleive this setup is as side, probably as comparable to the SN95 setup at around 0.75" each side.

This is the rear setup used on the '93 Cobra R