lincoln versailles rear end

• Sponsors (?)

You need a new carrier that is the trac-loc and bearings. Then you can simply transfer the ring gear to the new carrier. You also need some special tools and the knowledge on how to put it all back together correctly. Most people should have a shop install a new carrier. If you have to ask what is needed then it is likely you don't have the proper tools and if it is installed incorrectly you can ruin the the whole thing.

Ronstang said:
You need a new carrier that is the trac-loc and bearings. Then you can simply transfer the ring gear to the new carrier. You also need some special tools and the knowledge on how to put it all back together correctly. Most people should have a shop install a new carrier. If you have to ask what is needed then it is likely you don't have the proper tools and if it is installed incorrectly you can ruin the the whole thing.

agreed, this not something you should try to do on your own unless you have some exerience doing it. you can't just throw it in and go, the backlash and preload has to be set just right other wise you WILL have a catastrophic failure. also make sure you follow the manufacturers instructions after the gears and carrier have been installed. they have a break in procedure you MUST follow, especially if you get new gears. the gears have to be "seasoned" before you can start really driving the car. in most cases you'll have to drive the car slowly for about 30 minutes continuously without stopping, return home and park the car letting the rearend cool for at least 30 minutes then repeat the same procedure. most gear makers use this procedure or something similar and the trac lok carrier also has a similar procedure as well.

you could also just search around and find a new center "chunK" and bolt that in. just have to make sure the yoke matches up to your driveshaft.

i got a center section with rebuilt posi, 4.11s and 31 splines for $400 off ebay. just keep your eyes open.

I bought the lincoln versailles rear i was looking at yesterday, its kinda rough but it will make a great addition to my over powered under tractioned (it thats a word) car. Im looking around and there is a center section on ebay that I want, its got trac loc, 28 spline, and 3.70 gearing, all of which i want. My question is whether or not it is possible for a person without knowledge of rear ends to replace the clutches? I'm buying the 65 mustang shop manual, which apparently I am supposed to have already (another thread). I am a quick learner and I want to know how to do this.
I have been thinking about it and taking it to a shop is not the way I want to go for the main reason that I want to know how to do all the rearend stuff. I built my own engine, I have been redoing the interior and I have ambitions to paint the car. In the process I have learned how to weld, complete body work, put together an engine, and I know my way around the car really well. The engine and transmission are just what is coming next. If at all possible, I would like to replace the clutches so if anyone has any suggestions on how to do it or just to leave it to the professionals, let me know. Thanks

351w_swap said:
I bought the lincoln versailles rear i was looking at yesterday, its kinda rough but it will make a great addition to my over powered under tractioned (it thats a word) car. Im looking around and there is a center section on ebay that I want, its got trac loc, 28 spline, and 3.70 gearing, all of which i want. My question is whether or not it is possible for a person without knowledge of rear ends to replace the clutches? I'm buying the 65 mustang shop manual, which apparently I am supposed to have already (another thread). I am a quick learner and I want to know how to do this.
re I have been thinking about it and taking it to a shop is not the way I want to go for the main reason that I want to know how to do all the rearend stuff. I built my own engine, I have been redoing the interior and I have ambitions to paint the car. In the process I have learned how to weld, complete body work, put together an engine, and I know my way around the car really well. The engine and transmission are just what is coming next. If at all possible, I would like to replace the clutches so if anyone has any suggestions on how to do it or just to leave it to the professionals, let me know. Thanks

Clutches are not too bad to do. Setup a dial indicator and check the original backlash and use some gear marking grease to determine the gear pattern before removing the traction loc unit.

Remove the traction loc from the carrier by removing the 2 locking tabs on the main caps, and then the 4 main cap bolts.

You will not have to do anything to the pinion assembly so leave it attached to the housing.

Remove the ring gear and do whatever is needed to separate the traction loc halves. Work slowly and pay attention to how each part fits together and the clutch pack order.

Soak the clutches in friction modifier overnight before reassembly.

Reinstall the traction lock into the housing and adjust the side nuts until the original backlash and pattern is established. You can go a little tighter if the backlash is out of spec. You must also add a little preload to the sidebearings before reinstalling the locking tabs.

Bolt it in, add gear lube and friction modifier, and have fun!

PS--Remember that at anytime you can take it to someone that is knowledgeable in setting up gears, unless you screwed it up by trying to put some miles on them.