Location of spout, TFI module, and diagnosis of my problem

yellowstang1994

Sep 9, 2004
Ok i'll star off with

1. Is this the spout connector on a '94-'95. Hissin said it was under the MAF. The only thing I see is where the IAT connects to and then someone on my car taped this upward and there is two wires coming out the back of this connector. Also someone said it was by the strut tower on the pass side. I don't see nothing directly next to it, but there is some stuff in back of it. Anyway is this it?

spout.jpg

or is it back here?

spout1.jpg

2. Simple and sweet. Do the 94-95s have TFI modules? I was interested in seeing what they look like so I tried searching in my haynes manual, nothing. I looked on 50mustangresto.com and they only sell TFIs for 93 and lower cars. Whats the deal?

3. Now my diagnosis. Ok it started one day where I was left stranded in the middle of the bridge, my car died at 60mph. I towed it back home and tried to do my own self diagnosis. I replaced the coil to start until a neighborhood ford mechanic told me it was the stator in my distributor. Instead of waiting to get it pressed in I replaced the entire distributor assembly. I took every precaution of indexing it right. And it took 3 tries to get the new one in. Ever since then I had this problem, before I describe it let me go into a few other things. In addition. I also changed all the spark plugs with Autolite 25s. I did a spark plug wire change, cap and rotor of course. In addition to the coil i put on earlier. Sooo.... everything on my ignition system is mostly replaced. My distributor was a little off when I first put it in. A few night me and my boss at work (very knowledgable guy) set the distributor in right at the TDC on the #1 compression stroke. NOW let me describe the problem...

My car idles fine, it feels very strong I played around with the timing from 10-14 degrees and have it set at 14 right now. Say I start driving my car feels strong until it reaches around 4000-4500 rpms. From there it acts like a misfire meets a rev limiter but it isn't any of those things. Say it reaches 4500rpms the tach will shoot up really fast and all you can hear is air. It basically falls on it's face and gets erratic up there. It's fine up until there I can really get moving under 4500 rpms. Now... if I advance the timing the range goes higher like 5000 at 17 degrees timing or 3500 at 10 degrees timing. I was unaware at the time that I even had a spout connector on my car and i'm trying to find it now. But even so if I timed it with out the connector out would my timing really be off? On that picture if that is the connector am I missing something out of it? Please help me!!!!

Thanks, Ted

• Sponsors (?)

in your picture right to edge of the circle is the tfi mod.it it looks like a heat sink. and the spout conector is in the fender well it is gray in color and you will need to pull it to get your timeing set corrctly you are probably running too much timeing and thats why it falls off up top.

Your spout connector is close to that thing you circled in the picture. It'll be a little extension off of the wiring harness with a grey cap thats plugged into it, Pull out that grey cap to disconect your spout connector.

The TFI module is just to the right of your red circle in that picture. Its bolted to the fender and have little cooling fins on it. Look between the MAF and IAT in your picture and you can see it.

edit... why'd you have to type faster than me :(

alright work with me guys, it's hard to get stuff through to me

i looked around for a grey connector and I see one going into the TFI module, i see a few others around but they aren't grey. When you say it's in the fender well do you mean it's actually inside the fender? Because it's hard to get in there or is it one of these?

spout2.jpg

spout3.jpg

Geez, looking for it in my engine bay it looks pretty tough to get to. I'll find it though, i'll take my CAI off and try to fish it out. Thanks for your help guys! Do you have any advice for me looking at my problem. Like I guess i'll try to set the timing again with the spout connector out. If it doesn't help any do you think I should just replace my TFI module? Someone said ford recommends replacing it with the stator when that goes out too.

Thanks again for the help, i'd never beable to do it if it weren't for you guys!