Longtube & starter issues!!!

ninety15.0

Mar 10, 2004
whats up guys? So im in process of installing some BBK LT's and im having clearence issues with the starter. The starter is not the stocker but it's a Duralast reman in a Ford casing. Apparently there are two different part numbers available from duralast: DL3524A and DL3524. My suspicion is that those numbers represent two different size casings; one for trucks/vans and the other for 5 litre cars. We have compared the starter to an SN 5.0 starter and the casings are considerably different in size. My question; Can i use a SN starter on my fox. Im sure the block has the same bolt pattern, but will the electronics and gear teeth all match up. Do SN's and Fox's share the same flywheel? If so i should be able to use the smaller SN starter to fix the clearence issues. A high torque mini starter is out of the question right now due to lacking funds. Let me know your experience with this problem and any potential solutions. I have a lifetime warranty for the Duralast so i basically have a freebie starter from Autozone....so let me know which i should select. Thanks fellas :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

The SN starter IS a high TQ mini starter. Ford started using them in '92 on everything. If it came off of a '92 or newer I6, 3.8 V6, 5.0, or 5.8 it's the PMGR mini starter and it will work for you.

There's a little re-wiring to do, but it's pretty easy. Switch the big starter wire from the side of the relay that it is on now (output, or left side as viewed from directly above) to the hot side(right side, the one with the battery + lead and all the other wires). Add a 12G wire from relay on top of the starter (small post or tab) and run it to the output side of the relay where the big wire used to be.

yep.allready did it. got a mini starter rated for up to 15.1 compression. it only weighs 7 lbs. i paid 60. on e-bay and it is not a re-man. came with the wire kit. its half the size of the fact. do that and u'll be good.