Look what I found in the recycling yard

monk302

Founding Member
Apr 18, 2001
New Jersey
Not but a Mustang but still pretty cool. I new it had to be worth a few dollars, but it turns out that depending on the year it may be a few hundred dollars. All for being a good citizen and disposing of oil, aluminum, and old disc brake rotors the proper way.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Cropped full side copy.jpg
    Cropped full side copy.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 331
  • chain guard.jpg
    chain guard.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 348
  • Sponsors (?)

It is illegal here to scavenge at such places. I do it all the time. They actually sell new "retro" bikes that look like that now. That is an original. One mans junk is another mans treasure. Sometimes you find such unusual things at those kind of :rolleyes: places.

Too bad you still don't have them. I was looking on Ebay to see how much mine might be worth and some of the ones that had the spring in front and the shifter are going for some serious money Apparently they had names like the Orange Peel, Lemon Peel and things like that. Its really neat how they were almost customized. You could get a basic cruiser like the one I found or a top end version with a cool spring in the front and gears.

monk302 said:
Too bad you still don't have them. I was looking on Ebay to see how much mine might be worth and some of the ones that had the spring in front and the shifter are going for some serious money Apparently they had names like the Orange Peel, Lemon Peel and things like that. Its really neat how they were almost customized. You could get a basic cruiser like the one I found or a top end version with a cool spring in the front and gears.

and another option was a baseball bat holder that attached the the back axle.

MustangPaul said:
Hey, when did a junk yard become a recycling yard? :D

Its more PC that way. Nah, just kidding. Around my area the townships put together reclamation centers that you can dispose of oil, appliances, brush, cans, bottles, newspapers, phone books, old electronics and thing like that. So yeah it is a junkyard I kind of, but not so much. It is more for household items that the trash men won't pick up.

Seriously though you can find some good stuff overthere. Usually people will be cleaning out their garages and just simply want to get rid of the stuff and throw it away. Fortunately for scavengers like me, it is a affluent area where items like the above often go unnoticed for their potential value and therefore are thrown away.

Friend of mine had a 5-speed Stingray in gold, with the Baseball bat hanger, "stick shift", 2-1/2" wide cheater slick and a full set of baskets - big one up front, two hanging off the "back legs" for the banana seat (FACTORY!). He had a couple of paper routes, used the pi$$ out of it for work as well as play.

Anybody remember the "two playing cards in the spokes" schtick? His Stingray and my Huffy Dragster (it was a "bright shade of Lime Gold" and with the same banana seat and wide cheater slick) had permanent scars from the clothespins on the upper frame tubes in back; but we sounded like "real choppers"! :p

Still Dreamin'

Ozsum67 said:
Yea, I remember the playing cards. I "modded" mine with a headlight system that had the flip down generator on the back tire to do the charging. Did I just use the word "modded?" :bang: :rlaugh: :D

Modded your bicycle, that is great. The generator sounds hi-tech. I am definitely going to get some air in the tires and take it out for a spin. There is a big car show around my house in about a month. I was thinking of taking it there and cruising around on it with a for sale sign to see if I get any takers.

monk302 said:
Around my area the townships put together reclamation centers that you can dispose of oil, appliances, brush, cans, bottles, newspapers, phone books, old electronics and thing like that.

That is cool! I'd be all over that place. My wife says I'm a pack rat. (Sorry Pak! Don't mean to use your name in vain! :D )

Unfortunately, we are not that forward thinking in Louisiana. When they have clean ups around here, you'd be amazed at the stuff that they pull out of the bayous. People who dump stuff like that in the waterways should be smacked. :nonono:

--P :banana:

My old bike had the really high sissy bar in the back for that Easy Rider/Captain America type of look. :D I rode that thing until it literally fell apart.

Learned to spin the tires on a Big Wheel and then moved to the Schwinn with the slick on the back . . .

Man, I really missed out.

By the time I was riding bikes Mid-'80s it was all about the BMX & Diamond Back bikes. Those old school bikes look like alot more fun. Definately more my style anyway.

Ozsum67 said:
Yea, I remember the playing cards. I "modded" mine with a headlight system that had the flip down generator on the back tire to do the charging. Did I just use the word "modded?" :bang: :rlaugh: :D

Ohhhhh, yeah, remember those generators well :nice: Tried to make a "battery eliminator" circuit for my "CB channel 14 walkie-talkie", which didn't fly - too much current draw for the generator. :(

Actually those guys (at least the one I had) were unrectified and unregulated alternators! Voltage output depended on load/current draw. They'd run your lights at about 8 volts AC, but a lower current-drawing load could create some serious voltage! Just to test a guy's "guts"; we'd have somebody hold the generator body in one hand and the "B+" terminal in the other while somebody else spun the wheel. I could only hang on 'til I could taste the fillings in my teeth(about 4 spins)..... put me about middle in the "gutless" scale :crazy:

WARNING! Professional morons on a closed course; don't try this at home! Even at low currents; high voltage, high frequency AC can cause nerve dysfunction, cardiac arrythmia, and even death! This is my disclaimer and you have been warned - don't blame me if you need a pacemaker at age 27! :nono:

Still Dreamin'