Fox Look What I Found Under The Carpet

1200gt

Nov 29, 1999
I found this under the carpet, kinda feel like I found her Birth Certificate:baby:

086.JPG

I'm trying to find what friction modifier if any that I need to put in my Diff. Got the notion from the latest build thread by @mrobins26. He listed a chart with various diff codes that require certain friction modifier additives.

When I did my 5 lug conv. I just filled my diff with this: What should I do if I need to rectify anything?

20170226_164642.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Cool find on your build sheet. Hopefully i'll find one on mine once i get it home and finish ripping out the interior.

You just need a friction modifier. Like this
image.jpg

Just suck out a little of the diff fluid and add this in, then top off with you diff fluid.

Cool find on your build sheet. Hopefully i'll find one on mine once i get it home and finish ripping out the interior.

You just need a friction modifier. Like this
image.jpg

Just suck out a little of the diff fluid and add this in, then top off with you diff fluid.

Thanks Dave. I just google it: Got a hit at Amazon free shipping for $8.50.

Yeah, I was quite surprised to see a build=sheet under the carpet. It looks as if it didn't get to much water on it over these WET South Florida years, but then the car was only on the streets for 3 years of its life.

There's a lot of info on that sheet though...

Reactions: 1 user
Most of normal name brand (Valvoline, Pennzoil, Mobil, etc) gear lubes these days (especially synthetics) have friction mod already in them, since it doesn't really hurt a non-lsd diff to have it, though the packaging will say if for use with limited slip or not. If it does already have it, I wouldn't put extra in.

Thanks Dave. I just google it: Got a hit at Amazon free shipping for $8.50.

Yeah, I was quite surprised to see a build=sheet under the carpet. It looks as if it didn't get to much water on it over these WET South Florida years, but then the car was only on the streets for 3 years of its life.

There's a lot of info on that sheet though...
Yeah, everything! I hope mine hasn't wasted away, but from the look of my floorboards, I think hoping might be pointless.

You can also add the friction modifier through the vent cap on the top of the passengers side axle tube. It might be easier.

Great idea!

Funny, I just installed the completed Rear Diff last week, that has been sitting under my dining-room table for 2.5 years. I got it all assemble and didn't have any modifier on hand and hadn't research it either... I completely forgot about putting it in until, thankfully, I was reading the mentioned thread that jogged my memory.

When the stuff comes in the mail, I'll explore all the creative ways of sucking some oil out and installing the modifier. Thanks again for the tip.

Most of normal name brand (Valvoline, Pennzoil, Mobil, etc) gear lubes these days (especially synthetics) have friction mod already in them, since it doesn't really hurt a non-lsd diff to have it, though the packaging will say if for use with limited slip or not. If it does already have it, I wouldn't put extra in.

Well, I just drain the old out, installed the Strange axles - new bearings etc, cleaned everything up, and refilled with the gear oil pic above.

I was just researching a minute ago and ran across an Old-Dogg that stated you shouldn't add modifier unless the diff chunk has been removed and parts-washed - just fill it and forget-it. Hmmm. I think I'm going to put some in unless someone with a whole lot of experience on here talks me down....

Thanks Friend for the info. BTW, I kinda wish now that I went with synthetic.....

I found this under the carpet, kinda feel like I found her Birth Certificate:baby:

086.JPG

I'm trying to find what friction modifier if any that I need to put in my Diff. Got the notion from the latest build thread by @mrobins26. He listed a chart with various diff codes that require certain friction modifier additives.

When I did my 5 lug conv. I just filled my diff with this: What should I do if I need to rectify anything?

20170226_164642.jpg

If you look at the sticker on the end of the driver side door for the Axle ID code...
IMG_0239.JPG

And if it is a "M", "Z" or "R" then you need to add the friction modifier, or use a GL5 equivalent that specifically says for Limited Slip Diffs... You can probably look at the build sheet too.. that is awesome... M = 2.73:1 w/ trac lok, Z= 3.08 w/trac lok, and R = 3.45:1 w/ trac lok... 8, G, Y, F, B are not trac lok.

The one thing I could not resolve is that Ford recommends 80W90 GL5 for the mustang. But they recommend different weights for other vehicles with the same axle. Not sure it matters

If you look at the sticker on the end of the driver side door for the Axle ID code...

And if it is a "M", "Z" or "R" then you need to add the friction modifier, or use a GL5 equivalent that specifically says for Limited Slip Diffs... You can probably look at the build sheet too.. that is awesome... M = 2.73:1 w/ trac lok, Z= 3.08 w/trac lok, and R = 3.45:1 w/ trac lok... 8, G, Y, F, B are not trac lok.

Door tag for this car has "M" axle code.

All 1982+ V8 Capris/Mustangs and all 1983+ 2.3T Capris/Mustangs have Traction-Lok as required/standard equipment.