Looking at a 97 GT

Drkknight614

Jul 28, 2005
Hi, I'm a big mustang fan, just like everyone else on this forum is lol. I was looking for a forum to join, and have heard great things about stangnet. I didnt even remeber ever registering for this forum...but apperantly I registered back in 05 lol.

Anyway, point of this post. I currently drive a ford focus, its peppy and handles pretty damn good and is fun to drive...but of course its not fast at all. The other problem is the gas mileage is not that great, my cars like cursed lol. I'm thinking about selling it cause I'm bored with it and ready to move onto something else.

I found this 97 Mustang GT in my area, it look immaculate and its only got 33k miles on it. The car looks great. Red is really not my color, I've always wanted a black stang, but i'll make an exception cause its in great condition. The dealer wants 9900 for it, which I know is way over the price its worth since kbb says its only worth about 8k. School is over in a week, I'm going to go take a look at it and test drive it then. Hopefully try to talk them down more, I really have to sell my focus before I buy this car though.

So, what are some things I should know about the 97 GT before buying it. I forgot to mention its automatic, I wanted a manual as my next car, but figured this will be my first rwd car and itll be much faster then my focus and will handle alot differently, so maybe its better to learn stick on a different car or at least once I'm used to this new platform. I've heard people say that the mustang especially the pre 99 models are very tail happy. Certainly it won't handle like a focus around the turns. I live in NY, and if I got it, I'm thinking it would definilty need snow tires for the winter. Do any of you drive your stangs in the winter or use snow tires? The last thing is gas mileage...what can I expect from it..combined, city, hwy etc. I know what the EPA rating is, but what do they get in real world scenerios. Right now in my poltergiest plagued focus I'm getting 20mpg or less in the city, sometimes like 17, and like 23 hwy....don't ask haha. I don't beat the hell outta it. Thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to Stangnet, again... lol. Must be that amnesia kicking in.

$9900 is a bit high, but with 33k you will be lucky for them to come down more than a grand, maybe $1500 depending on the dealer.

Automatics tend to have a slightly lower asking price on average also.

Just check everything over really well. Check for rust since you are in the snow belt.

When under the hood look at the intake manifold. Check the very front of it at that first crossover. See if it is black plastic, or aluminum. The coolant passage on the stock intake manifolds is prone to cracking. Being its a 97 99% of the time its allready been replaced.

Make sure there are no ticks, knocks, smoke, so on. Make sure the trans shifts smoothly. While under the hood check the oil level (before starting) and check the trans fluid to see coloration (nice cherry red is what your going for, stay away from brown/black or burnt smelling fluid).

Look for obvious things as far as body panels lining up correctly... no paint overspray and whatnot.

These cars get decent gas mileage for a V-8. Most 5 speed guys can knock down 25mpg stock, an auto probaly 22-23, im sure some have gotten higher.

The only dis-advantage to a 97, just as a 96 and 98 is it has a non-PI (PI = power improved) 4.6. That engine was put into the 99-04 GT's, and the good news is you can swap over the heads/cams/intake and acheive the same power level later down the road.

But, it will still be alot quicker than your Focus so you should be satisfied.

As far as being light on the rear end, thats pretty much all Mustangs except IRS equipped Cobra's and 05+ Mustangs. Just adapt to a RWD V-8 and youll be ok.

Thanks for replying. So wait, with the intake manifold...plastic is good right? If its aluminum does that mean it was an old one or something. I'm confused I'm used to seeing the 4.6 with a black plastic manifold...was there a recall or tsb?

Those mpg estimates you put up, are those city or hwy? And yea I read about the whole PI thing and the swap and stuff. How far does the 96 4.6L go on bolt on's before doing the PI head swap. I know they come with decent amoun of tq, but 200hp even though higher then my focus lol, is still lower then any v8 mustang should be lol. So what kinda power can I expect with simple bolt ons, intake, exhaust, headers, etc. I'd prob end up getting an x-pipe with cat's just cause I want my car to still be legal...NY is after all one of the green states and I don't want it crazy loud, but definilty noticable.

I'm guessing its definilty a good idea to go with snow tires and sand bags in the trunk for the winter lol.

They really that slow...my focus has a 1/4 mile time of like 17 seconds, and the 0-60 time is like 9 something lol.....is it slower then that? I doubt it lol.

Thanks for replying. So wait, with the intake manifold...plastic is good right? If its aluminum does that mean it was an old one or something. I'm confused I'm used to seeing the 4.6 with a black plastic manifold...was there a recall or tsb?

Those mpg estimates you put up, are those city or hwy? And yea I read about the whole PI thing and the swap and stuff. How far does the 96 4.6L go on bolt on's before doing the PI head swap. I know they come with decent amoun of tq, but 200hp even though higher then my focus lol, is still lower then any v8 mustang should be lol. So what kinda power can I expect with simple bolt ons, intake, exhaust, headers, etc. I'd prob end up getting an x-pipe with cat's just cause I want my car to still be legal...NY is after all one of the green states and I don't want it crazy loud, but definilty noticable.

I'm guessing its definilty a good idea to go with snow tires and sand bags in the trunk for the winter lol.

black plastic overcross are bad.. You want one with black plastic, but has a aluminum crossover. The aluminum part should be where you plug the thermostat into.

good- View attachment 320840

bad- View attachment 320841

People can normally cut consistant lower 15's with a stock automatic 96-98 GT, some 15 flat, even a high 14 here and there.

Bolt ons will take you well into the 14's as long as the car is in good shape.

black plastic overcross are bad.. You want one with black plastic, but has a aluminum crossover. The aluminum part should be where you plug the thermostat into.

good- View attachment 320838

bad- View attachment 320839

So whats the deal with the bad all plastic one? Like I said before was it a recall or tsb, something like that.

And yea, def quicker then my focus lol, at least 2 seconds quicker in both the 1/4 mile and 0-60 times. Def worth modding too, well you get more for your money anyway then you do in a 4cyl.

So whats the deal with the bad all plastic one? Like I said before was it a recall or tsb, something like that.

And yea, def quicker then my focus lol, at least 2 seconds quicker in both the 1/4 mile and 0-60 times. Def worth modding too, well you get more for your money anyway then you do in a 4cyl.

the plastic one is prone to cracking under normal wear and tear/heat. If you push your the car hard with the plastic one, it will break.

the plastic one is prone to cracking under normal wear and tear/heat. If you push your the car hard with the plastic one, it will break.

Thats good lol...so was Ford replacing these with the new better ones, or did owners have to go out and buy this new one for themselves. Also, this isnt the PI intake manifold is it...the one with the aluminum?

Also another thing...with like a suspension upgrade like eibachs or the ford racing handling kit for the 97...how much better at handling can I expect. I know its a totally different animal then the focus and probably won't nearly handle as well, but really with a decent suspension set-up can I make the stang handle alot better?

If you want a manual trans..then get a manual. DOn't settle for an automatic only to regret it 4 months after your purchase.

I learned how to drive 5-spd on my '03. I had it down after a week. It's never a dull moment rowing throiugh the gears so i don't regret buying the stick and learning on it vs getting an auto and waiting to learn on another car

If you want a manual trans..then get a manual. DOn't settle for an automatic only to regret it 4 months after your purchase.

I learned how to drive 5-spd on my '03. I had it down after a week. It's never a dull moment rowing throiugh the gears so i don't regret buying the stick and learning on it vs getting an auto and waiting to learn on another car

I'm on a budget, if I found a good deal on a manual trans one I would get it but I havent. I probably should of asked about it, but how much power and tq can the stock automatic trans handle???