looking at a procharger

rawlins710

Apr 23, 2011
tampa
I have a 2009 mustang bullitt with the 4.6 liter 3v engine. it has 40,000 hard driven miles on it. i am looking at getting a procharger pretty soon. 425 horsepower at the wheels and i will be happy. what is the max SAFE threshhold for these stock engines? 400? 500? i have heard so many mixed things that i dont know who to believe. i plan on driving the car like a sports car. any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

With a GOOD TUNE the bottom end should be good for up to close to 500HP. It is all about the tune when going FI on a mod motor. A proper tune = proper AFR, which = no detonation. An improper tune can destroy an engine quickly, especially if it is starved for fuel or has detonation.

The rest of the drivetrain on the other hand, is up for debate...lol

Plan on replacing the clutch if you haven't already. Next weak link is the transmission. synchros and input shafts on the 5 speeds. You say that you plan on "driving it like a sports car". As long as that doesn't include hard launches on slicks, and you are reasonable, then you should be fine.......

I'm pretty sure the Procharger kit puts out more than 425 at the wheel, but all of those kits are designed to be safe with the stock engine, provided the tune is good. The clutch might become a problem if you plan on taking it to the strip though.