Looking at new stereos (Head Unit) for my 2001 Cobra - Any suggestions?

spacescape

Founding Member
Mar 21, 2002
Clinton Township, MI
I'm looking for some suggestions and input on a new head unit for my 2001 Cobra. Car came with an aftermarket Premier / Pioneer Head Unit which I truly hate. I don't hate it but it's clumsy and I want to replace it with an aftermarket apple carplay / android touchscreen. Just wondering if anyone has done this as of late. We have a couple of places local to me that does free installation (Car Tunes and mickey shorr) that I "kind of trust" to purchase from and they are well aware of the Mach 460 amps and speakers in the car and know what to do for the install (install included in the price).

Looking at

Pioneer
DMH-2660NEX

Pioneer
MVH-1400NEX

Pioneer
DMH1770NEX

Sony
XAVAX3200

Sony
XAVAX5600

• Sponsors (?)

If you're using Crutchfield for your purchase, all the Pioneer's you list are NA. It all depends on what you want. I put a Kenwood in mine and because the car is a back seat delete and S-type mufflers, I really have to crank it to hear, even with the Mach sound (worthless to me). It does have lots of fancy color combos to look at though. :)

Well, I tried to learn and accept the Pioneer that came with the car but hated it so moved forward with a XAV-AX3200 yesterday. Ended up using a local company (CarTunes) and this was on sale for $299 (about $350ish out the door and had them yank the cigarette lighter and installed a USB port (and a rapid charge port). I almost bought the better model but talked myself out of it based on the XAV-AX3200 being antiglare (my car being a convertible)... and reusing all the OEM speakers and amps didn't know if I'd benefit from it. But it actually sounds better than the pioneer and the EQ / sound adjustments are great!!!

289321722_1202091870359229_118483072602378615_n.jpg

I was surprised when I replaced the head unit in our 07 GT500 with a base Blaupunkt unit. With the original speakers the bass hits harder and the sound was cleaner than the OEM unit. Sometimes it's the head that makes all the difference.

I was surprised when I replaced the head unit in our 07 GT500 with a base Blaupunkt unit. With the original speakers the bass hits harder and the sound was cleaner than the OEM unit. Sometimes it's the head that makes all the difference.
Yup, I hear more bass and there is a setting which brings sound more towards your ears (door speakers). Not sure how to explain it but it just sounds better!