Reverse wire to a new head unit

PSKSAM2

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2002
NJ
Installed a new Kenwood head unit in my 2002 for handsfree, Android Auto and other features. Going to put in a backup cam as well, because my wife has become dependent on a backup cam and sometimes needs to move or use the Stang (and I'll admit it is nice sometimes too)

I understand where I need to hook up the reverse wire from the head unit electrically (between the reverse switch off the transmission and the hot side of the bulbs). Wondering if anyone found a convenient spot to tap up front in the car? Preferably without having to run the wire all the way to the trunk or pull apart a harness midway.

I have found a lot of threads and info, but none that points me to the wire. Seems likely a black/pink wire according to my Haynes manual and a quick investigation with a multimeter in the trunk.

Thanks,
Jim

Other threads I looked at:
Reverse Switch (backup lights) - talks about the wire but was a switch problem
Integrating a head unit into your Mach 460 Sound System (2001 - 2004) - doesn't talk about the reverse wire
Several YouTube videos and other boards were the same

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I found a shot from a 2003 service manual that seems to backup my thinking. Guess I'll look at the BLK/PNK on Pin 20 of C201E on the GEM.

1659996897678.png

You're correct on the BK/PNK wire. I have a '02 and it is the signal wire to the backup lights. I just put a Coyote in mine using my 3650 and kept that circuit intact under the hood at both connectors. I didn't get into the R kick panel, but that would be an easier place to tap.

Weendoggy,
Thanks for the confirmation, I was hoping someone would chime in to say I wasn't crazy.

The connecter was an easy route from the radio, behind the glove box to the kick panel. In the picture, it is the grey connector on the right, you can see the black/pink wire 2nd from the left in it (pin 13 of 14).

After checking the voltages, I was able to get it tapped and it seems to work (head unit switched to camera display when put in reverse). Now I just need to install the actual camera.

Sweet on the Coyote swap, I'll have to go look at your site again to drool.

-Jim

Attachments

• IMG_20220808_210505.jpg
    IMG_20220808_210505.jpg
    667.4 KB · Views: 113
Weendoggy,
Thanks for the confirmation, I was hoping someone would chime in to say I wasn't crazy.

The connecter was an easy route from the radio, behind the glove box to the kick panel. In the picture, it is the grey connector on the right, you can see the black/pink wire 2nd from the left in it (pin 13 of 14).

After checking the voltages, I was able to get it tapped and it seems to work (head unit switched to camera display when put in reverse). Now I just need to install the actual camera.

Sweet on the Coyote swap, I'll have to go look at your site again to drool.

-Jim
Glad to help. To be sure, all you needed to do is put your test light or VM on the wire and put it in R to check, but I did mine on the engine side. Ford used one connector to deliver the + and another to send to the lights. Go figure.

Still updating my website and YT video's but I have nothing to hide and go into more detail than others who say "all you need to do is..." Yeah, right!

I thought I was the only one who was crazy! Welcome to the club. ;)

Glad to help. To be sure, all you needed to do is put your test light or VM on the wire and put it in R to check, but I did mine on the engine side. Ford used one connector to deliver the + and another to send to the lights. Go figure.

Still updating my website and YT video's but I have nothing to hide and go into more detail than others who say "all you need to do is..." Yeah, right!

I thought I was the only one who was crazy! Welcome to the club. ;)

One other question for you:
This head unit also has a speed sensor wire. I looked up another chart and saw a connection on one of the stock Mach 460 harnesses in the bottom right. I repurposed the one wire in the Metra adapter kit that is meant to drive the power antenna on the Crown Vic (I assume) to use for the speed sensor, and connected it to the White/Orange wire. Not exactly sure what that does in the Kenwood head unit, I didn't see a speed controlled volume feature. I read somewhere else that it can be used to correct the GPS position, but it isn't a Nav head.

1660084100443.png

Not sure about the Speed Control Servo, but it may be tied into volume and vehicle speed through the PCM. I have the same thing on my 1000 system but don't really pay attention to it and have a Kenwood DPX503U but just turn volume up/down. :)