looking for 351 swap advice

HardmanGT

Founding Member
Oct 5, 2001
Thomaston, CT
I have been planning on doing a 331 stroker for sometime now. Recently the idea of a 351 swap is starting to appeal to me, too. What blocks would I be looking for? I want to stay with a roller cam. Is there a stock 351 roller or do I have to get the conversion kit and install it that way? I as planning on AFR 185's for the 331 stroker, should I go 205? Can I use my BBK long tubes or will I have to go another route?

Just looking for some input so that I can make a good, informed decision. Thanx :spot:

• Sponsors (?)

1st gen lightnings use the 351w roller but the blocks aren;t as strong as the older blocks, 69-74'. You can take an older block and make it a roller by tapping the spyder and block for it, then you can run regular hydro roller lifters. You can also by Crane Cams new link bar retro fit lifters(I did) but they are expensive... 400 bucks.

Search will tell you all this.

HardmanGT, I have an issue of 5.0M&SF that goes through most everthing needed to do a 302 to 351W swap (along with suppliers of necessary components). Let me know if you want it and I'll scan the article and email it to you.

Get the early blocks (69-74), as they have a higher nikel content and are thiker casting.I got the retro-fit lifters on my early block,there great well worth $400 to use my early block plus they are better lifter than a stock replacment.