Looking for a head unit to replace the Shaker 500

Tim From Clevel

Dec 15, 2008
So I think we can all agree the shaker 500 head unit sucks. I would like to replace it with something that will add GPS, XM/Sirius, Bluetooth, etc... Couple questions though....

Number one is will this work with the current Sirius antenna built in the car and also with the current speakers and built in AUX port in the arm rest (Love its placement there for the iPod hookup)

Second would be obviously which to go with. I was just at Best Buy and they had a Pioneer AVIC-F700BT which looked really nice. Its hard to judge in a store because you cant play with the GPS and hear the audio quality because its not hooked up.

Any suggestions would be awesome!

• Sponsors (?)

I changed mine. I was told there was no way the existing Sirius tuner and antenna would work. Looks to me like they should be universal but I was told no way.
I put in an Alpine. I love it. I ran the ipod cable from the back of the headunit to the console. So same effect but not same plug.
Pioneer has a unit with GPS, Bluetooth and ipod controls for under $1,000.
There are many, many units out there. Explore Crutchfield.com or Circuit City or Best Buy. Amazon may, may is key word here, have best prices. So check many places. Good ole' Wal-Mart on line may also be competitive for a few units.
My new Sirius antenna is hidden under the rear deck. Works just fine.
If you take the factory antenna off you have a hole in the trunk to deal with.
I think the 2010 system will be better.

I was told there was no way the existing Sirius tuner and antenna would work. Looks to me like they should be universal but I was told no way.

x2 on it not being compatibile. As far as personal experiences, it's that way with most factory installed systems from at least Ford and Chrysler.

Everyone I've talked with, 2 people, who have the AVIC series love it. Good reviews for sound and user interface.

For what you're wanting, definitely AVIC.

I didn't think the Shaker 500 was bad. It's better than any other factory stereo I've ever had, including those made by Bose. That said, I still upgraded to a Pioneer (mostly to get iPod controls) and I'm quite happy I did, as the sound is even better.

For what you're wanting, definitely AVIC.

I didn't think the Shaker 500 was bad. It's better than any other factory stereo I've ever had, including those made by Bose. That said, I still upgraded to a Pioneer (mostly to get iPod controls) and I'm quite happy I did, as the sound is even better.

Did the Pioneer unit work out of the box with the Shaker 500 speakers or did you need to add any other equipment like an amp, etc...?

I replaced my shaker with a Kenwood DDX512 receiver. It is able to do nav, bluetooth, has a usb port, ipod control, and can do HD/XM/Sirrius radio.

I use the MAC install kit, it basically brings everything ford had with the shaker system, including the aux port in the center council. No need to wire anything extra. Yeah it cost a little more, but ease of install is what I wanted.

I love my unit. Does everything I wanted. I have the hands free bluetooth and the ipod controls. Phone is crystal clear, and it controls my nano without a hitch. I used a slim 4 port USB hub, and I have a extra USB port.(The ipod control takes up the usb port). The dvd is excellent. Good pic quality and in truth the shaker system comes to life when you play a movie. WIth the Kenwood cross over's and controlling the subs, you say to yourself, "where the hell was all of this sound hiding ???"

I am going to get the suriuss sat controler installed soon, and I will be good to go. Want a good head unit that will not break the bank ? The Kenwood is the way to go.

Lol..It even does my colour...so my unit matches my colour on the dash perfectly.

(Its purplish white)

That's a lot of money to pay. Really, the only thing you need to do is install a 5v regulator (very simple) and you may find you have to plug a splitter in for the RCAs. I mean, I can see the benefits to that kit, but definitely not worth the price to me.

I have not checked their price lately, but I got my kit for 55$. I think the regular harness was like 25 or so. So I put out the extra cash, to avoid the hassle. I suck at electrical installs so this was my easiest rout. In truth I am glad I paid the extra cash for the results.

I do not :( I ask a friend at the shop were I work on my 65 at, who use to work for sound advice installation dept. Once I got the panels off, it was a pretty simple install. As I said, I suck with electronics, but I was able to do this pretty easily.

After that it was just snapping and screwing everything else back in place. But like I said earlier, with the PAC kit, it was a very simple install. No splicing or getting the regulator thing put in. That kit had it all done already.

Now that I am thinking on it, I believe there is a sticky on radio installs....I know I saw one in this forum, with pics...heh that's why I opted for the PAC harness !

I do not :( I ask a friend at the shop were I work on my 65 at, who use to work for sound advice installation dept. Once I got the panels off, it was a pretty simple install. As I said, I suck with electronics, but I was able to do this pretty easily.

After that it was just snapping and screwing everything else back in place. But like I said earlier, with the PAC kit, it was a very simple install. No splicing or getting the regulator thing put in. That kit had it all done already.

Now that I am thinking on it, I believe there is a sticky on radio installs....I know I saw one in this forum, with pics...heh that's why I opted for the PAC harness !

Im not sure if Im going with the Pioneer or the Kenwood yet. I would go with the Pioneer but I love Garmin GPS units that the Kenwood has. Does anyone have any thoughts on the quailty of the Pioneer?

As far as isntalling was it as simple as plugging in everything to the PAC adapter you listed? Did you have to do or buy anything else?

Also can you use the Sirius adapter/antenna that comes with the Shaker 500 or do you have to set up a new one?

Im not sure if Im going with the Pioneer or the Kenwood yet. I would go with the Pioneer but I love Garmin GPS units that the Kenwood has. Does anyone have any thoughts on the quailty of the Pioneer?

As far as isntalling was it as simple as plugging in everything to the PAC adapter you listed? Did you have to do or buy anything else?

Also can you use the Sirius adapter/antenna that comes with the Shaker 500 or do you have to set up a new one?

I looked at the Pioneer 700 series, and people complained a lot about the boot up sequence. It was very long. Since then I have read some recent reviews, and with the release of the 2.0 patch, people reviewing the unit thought it had help fix that problem. Some though still complain about the boot time though. Looking at it from a breakdown of sound, vid, and other features..plus price, I went with the Kenwood model. (I got the Kenwood at 400$ from a local radio installer.)

As far as installing, yep. It was the PAC kit which = install made easy, or install for dummies. no issues, no problems, and if I ever wanted to reinstall the shaker 500 head unit, its just a unplug this, and plug that back in.