Looking For A Mustang

I Go Fast

Mar 23, 2010
I am 18 years old, I have had a nissan 350z and an infiniti g35 that I have paid for myself by working in a hardware store everyday for the past 4 years, so please do not call me out on my age and say that my parents paid for my car. I decided that I want something that has more power to get more satisfaction outta pushing down the pedal so I decided to look into american muscle.I considered a 1968 C3 Stingray because I have always loved them but they are just too unreliable for a kid my age. I am selling my dubbed out 2003 Infiniti g35 coupe for $19,000 and looking to buy a car with that money and have some left over for mods. If anyone has any advice whatsoever about what year to get or anything to look out for I'd really appreciate it, I am very confused right now but starting to learn alot. I have always loved mustangs and am very excited to own one. Theyre are a few things that I am looking for, on the top of that list is power, I don't want a v6 or anything. I have owned 2 automatic cars, I am looking to get a manual car and I am looking for at least 400 HP, what model would you guys reccomend? Thanks alot.

• Sponsors (?)

I'ld say look into a 05- 06 GT with manual trans. I haven't looked at pricing but I"m sure you can get one clean with low miles for about your budget. As for mods, a cold air kit with a tuner would be the best first step, you can always add other minor bolt ons and retunes as you go along if you're only looking for 400hp. The good thing about American muscle is there are tons of choices in ways to achieve your power levels as long as you know what your final goal would be.

Thanks alot for the reply, I did some research and even though I would love to get a GT500 that's just not gonna happen on my budget, I think that my best bet will be to get a GT and try to reach the HP I want, I am not used to american muscle, what would be the best cost/efficent way to get more torque out of the car, I want this car to do some nice burnouts, real american muscle, I want the total opposite from the japaneese cars I used to have.

Burnouts? Just turn of the TCS, rev it up to about 2500-3k rpm and drop the clutch :D

A standard GT is pretty torquey. I can break loose the rear end fairly consistently and preety much when I want to, but for the 400 hp and torque you want then I would say put a supercharger on it. A Procharger or Paxton with a moderate tune would get you where you want to be. Plus if you are looking for an '05-'06 like Sparta suggested they can be had for 15k maybe less once the new 5.0 comes out. Which leaves you money to spend on mods and such to make the car into whatever you want it to be :nice:

Welcome to the forums and hopefully other people will chime in and voice their opinions. Maybe we can get some of the SN95 guys in here to post...

I'ld say look into a 05- 06 GT with manual trans. I haven't looked at pricing but I"m sure you can get one clean with low miles for about your budget. As for mods, a cold air kit with a tuner would be the best first step, you can always add other minor bolt ons and retunes as you go along if you're only looking for 400hp. The good thing about American muscle is there are tons of choices in ways to achieve your power levels as long as you know what your final goal would be.

Ditto: I bought a used 06 GT with an auto trans ( its what I wanted) with only 16k miles for $15,600. CAI and brenspeed tune woke it up huge. Car would burn out in first in stock form but after those two mods, it spins hard into second and gives a good scratch into third with an auto trans.

Dude dont get hooked on a HP number. Sure 400 is a nice number but dont worry about that. Take your time and find the perfect car, then enjoy that American muscle......aint nothing like it. Thats why I have two to enjoy!:nice:

patrick

You'll need to look for around a 2005 or 2006 GT. Cheapest way to 400 HP is with a supercharger, so you'll needs maybe around $6500 cash for that. So with your original $19k, depending on how much mod cash you had, you are looking at a selling price of around maybe $15k. You'll have to do some looking still on that. You might be able to find a pre-modified car for a little cheaper than the total, but who knows.

And I feel you about the whole people think your parents bought your car for you. I bought a brand new 2000 Mustang when I was 15, then a brand new loaded 08 GT when I graduated college, then I just bought a 2008 M3 at the end of 2009 at the age of 24. All with my own cash.

OK but guess what? That is illegal, according to my insurance agent who will not do it.
If you drive the car, it is supposed to be in your name. When my daughter turned 16 many years ago, I asked about putting her car in my name.
No, can't do it, is what I was told. I was also told that if any company does they are asking for trouble should there be an accident and a lawsuit.
Don't get mad at me for saying this. This is what I have been told.
It actually makes sense if you think about it. It is deception.