Looking for a new block that can handle +550 easily. Does this make sense?

Lately I have been debating what I want to do nest with my car. I dont want H/C because in the future with a new engine they would be pointless. I found a few roller 351's for not too bad and I was gonna swap a stock one in for my stock 302. Then in the future swap heads/cam on that. Thing is, once I get the H/C with my blower im already gonna be making almost the most that block can handle. Thats when I started thinking of the 03 cobra motor swap. They say they can handle allmost 1000 hp and there already supercharged. I started thinking of swapping the motor when my freind wrecked his car, is this a good idea or should I sell a testicle and get the sportsman block? Oh and how much power would a h/c 10#'s of boost 351 make approx?

• Sponsors (?)

if your swapping in a 03' cobra block, just go buy an 03' cobra. its pointless. The complete motor from FRPP is like 12 grand. A 302R block is only like 2 grand, you do the math. If you really want a 351 block, DART has some stuff i think that could handle it no problem. As for amount of power your going to be making, it really depends on how radical you want to go with the cam and injectors and what not.

I would decide what HP you want from your car, then look at how hard it would be to get there. You really don't need a 351 to make 500HP, not even 600HP, look at Eades and Moneypit.

Joe (Vib) grenaded his car running H/C + ~12 lbs. of boost. I wouldn't want anything more than 550 at the crank in a daily driven car. You need the block to stay together or else you don't have a ride. I don't trust any other 351 block (besides DART) in anything more than an N/A application. Even then, if you start to spin the motor (7500+), you are asking for trouble.

If you want a block, I'd look for a DART or possibly even World (if they ever come out). With the DART block and a proper tune, you could run a nitrous'd, turbo'd, blower'd, alcohol injected, 450 stroker without a problem. :D

OK, not really, but you get my point.

Joe

Im going for about 300-350 out of a stock block with a 125 shot of spray on it, I wouldnt think for a streat car you would really wanna go hardcore. My buddy Bill used to have an El Camino that had about 450 (plus a 250 shot at the track, ran 10.30s). He said he used to fight his car everyday.

If your wanted 550....I dont know if Dart makes blocks for fords, but id start somewhere like that. Im pretty sure they sell crates.