Looking for advice on engine combo

Looking for advice or suggestions on my engine combo Im planning for my 86 gt .Im starting with a .30 over 5.0 that would like to have abut 10:1 comp, using older set of iron dart heads 2.02 intake 1.60 ex, a gt40 intake with egr from an explorer, 24lb injectors with mass air meter for 24lb injectors. 70mm tb and egr spacer,cold air intake . Car is 5 speed and will have 3.73 0r 4.10 rear.Was thinking of using either the E303 or F303 cam?Do you guys think this will be a good daily driving combo or should I change some things to improve it? Im really only looking for it to work a little better than a stock 5.0.Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

For a mild off the shelf cam with those heads, I would look at the Comp Cams XE264HR or XE266HR camshafts. The XE264HR is going to be the most mild/stock like.

Reactions: 1 users
Like these guys said definitley something different for the cam , the Intake with those heads may be a limiting factor as well . But again this doesn’t seem like an all out hp build .

Call Comp Cams (or whatever company you want to use) with all the rest of the combo’s info (gearing and trans included) and intended use. They can make a recommendation for the best off the shelf fit or a custom grind.

Like stated earlier in this post...call comp cams.

In one of my foxes I had 202 160 valves, gt40 egr intake, 24lb injectors, 24lb MAF, 65mm TB, scorpion 1.6 roller rockers, bbk unequal length shorty headers, BBK fender CAI, x pipe, and an e cam. Car idled at about 900 rpm and drove well with 3.73 gears and Z spec t5. Cruised highway at 72mph. It was a stout combo. Whipped a lot of booty with it....but that combo changed in about 2006.

That combo worked for me. Had decent power and was completely reliable and drove well. However, that combo would be a little outdated by today's standards. If I had to guess hp...I'd say about 260hp. She'd roast tires and sounded great doing it. It doesn't sound like a lot of power but in these cars it was just enough to feel without getting in too much trouble. Today you could get a little more powah with a better cam.

You tell me. Can that be done . Whipping up some of that Hooters booty . At the same time roasting some tires right off the wheels. Oh I forgot to mention Im and older guy . Maybe a cheesy forty five year old that drinks hard , and I break a universal.