looking for help 302 build

91drag

Feb 13, 2006
Hi all, i'm looking for some help on a 302 build for my mustang. the 289 has a cracked block so i am going to build a 302 or 331 or 347. im in no hurry so i want the best parts i can find for the build.
the car will be a street/strip car very little strip maybe 4 or 5 trips a year. i would like to keep a hyd. cam,would like to get around 350 to 400 hp. crank with auto trans and around 2800 to 3000 stall and set up for nos. car is also what we will drive to car show with the kids. car is a 65

been looking at:
twisted wedge heads
eagle stroker kit and summit stroker kit

need help with:
cam choice
which stroker kit would like forged pistons
do i need different headers

what i have now
hedmen shorty hedders
holley street domnatior intake
holley 650 hp dp
80 gph mech.fuel pump
2.5 flowmaster exhaust dumped at rearend
9" rear mini spooled 3.25
c-4 trans stock stall
crane cam 216 at .050 .484 lift
1.7 roller tipped rockers
stock 289 heads

i dont care what to keep or what get rid of. thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

Hi all, i'm looking for some help on a 302 build for my mustang. the 289 has a cracked block so i am going to build a 302 or 331 or 347..... would like to keep a hyd. cam,would like to get around 350 to 400 hp. crank with auto trans

been looking at:
twisted wedge heads
eagle stroker kit and summit stroker kit

need help with:
cam choice
which stroker kit would like forged pistons
do i need different headers

what i have now
hedmen shorty hedders
holley street domnatior intake
holley 650 hp dp
80 gph mech.fuel pump
2.5 flowmaster exhaust dumped at rearend

You can get 350hp+ at the crank with a good 302, but a stroker will make it with a milder build. I would propose a 331 with your existing 650 pumper and fuel pump. If the headers are 1 5/8" primary, they won't be a problem. 2.5" exhaust is also fine. You can't really go wrong with too many of the aftermarket heads out there unless they are too big. Twisted Wedges will work great. A cast steel crank with forged I-beam rods and pistons is more capable than the production block, so don't worry about that. I'm not a cam expert, but depending on head flow, something in the .500-.560" lift will probaby do it.

would i be better with a roller block i found one complete without the fuel injection for 350 but i will rebuild whatever i have 2 302 blocks should i spend the 350 extra on machine work or get the roller block

Did you find the whole longblock for $350, or just the bare block? You could probably get $50-100 for the used E7 heads.

A roller block is a bonus, but I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker. You can still make your power goals plus some overhead with a flat tappet cam. Some places still have new 5.0 blocks for sale if you really want one. Performance Automotive Warehouse is where I got the new roller 302 in my '68. It was about $1500 with a roller cam as I recall(I need to check reciepts).

I'd save the cash and use a block you have, keep the headers, carb, fuel pump, exhaust, rear, trans, and rockers. I'd build a 331 from a $590 The Mustang Depot kit off of ebay. (Piston package K for 10.5:1 with 58cc heads)

I'd use a PerformerRPM intake, AFR165 heads, 10.5:1 compression, low tension rings, windage tray, Comp XE262H cam...look for 432hp on 87 octane of of it :D Nice mild build with stupid amounts of power :D

Lots of good advice ^ . I'm not a fan of shorty's so I'd recmnd going to 1 5/8" LT's if going w/a 302 or 331. They sound much better and do help make more power. Also, cam choice.... go custom. You will get so much more out of a custom cam than an off the shelf cam, bar none. Ed Curtis, Buddy Rawls, or your favorite custom cam grinder will do. I'm running a solid cammotion cam and my last two cams were Ed Curtis cams. He usually uses aggressive ramp rates so make sure the springs are up to the task, but Ed will make sure if you use him.
How large is the spray? How often do you squeeze vs staying NA?