Looking For Ideas For My New Milling Machine

tos

Founding Member
Apr 27, 2001
Cincinnati Ohio
View attachment 595240 Ok friends, I'm looking to retire (sort of) for the final time. First retirement = U.S. Air Force 1977 - 1997
Second and current = Machinist and welder 1997 til now. I bought a new CNC milling machine and need some ideas for products to make. Prototypes or similar to current products, fixtures. So I need ideas for things that will keep me busy. Doesn't even have to be car related. Thanks for looking. View attachment 595239
20171201_214808.jpg
20171201_214753.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Oh would i have a project for you
full.jpg

It is a 3/4 scale Daytona .i want to do 4 wheel independant suspension and 4 wheel disk brake .i also want to use an electric start motorcycle motor but i would need idler sprockets and a few other custom parts made ,the thing is 8 feet long and there is room to fit inside .built one already ,it went for 53,000 , this is not the finished product but it was the exact same from the out side
Baume-Mercier-Clifton-Club-Shelby-Cobra-Daytona-Coupe-aBlogtoWatch-38.jpg

full.jpg

It is a 3/4 scale Daytona .i want to do 4 wheel independant suspension and 4 wheel disk brake .i also want to use an electric start motorcycle motor but i would need idler sprockets and a few other custom parts made ,the thing is 8 feet long and there is room to fit inside .built one already ,it went for 53,000 , this is not the finished product but it was the exact same from the out side
I would definately be interested insomething like that. Id like to see some rough sketches of your pieces that you need if you have any.

I would definately be interested insomething like that. Id like to see some rough sketches of your pieces that you need if you have any.
The first one was set up on a Chinese go cart that was modified to fit under it .I want a water cooled bike motor with electric start ,but to fit it it i need idler sprockets and shafts. I want independant front and rear so everything will have to be custom made. Would also like a scaled down cobra steering wheel

I can't think of any projects off the top of my head, but here's an idea for you depending on how intricate your programming skills are....
I used to work for a shop probably 15 years ago or so now. They had an EZPath lathe and EZTrak Bridgeport. They had written a program for the Trak for every letter in the alphabet. What we would do is sit down at a desktop workstation, basically enter the text and dimensions, save it to floppy disc, then insert the disc into the drive behind the Trak. We were engraving part numbers and the like for tooling. If you were to be able to come up with something similar, I'd think it would be easy money and pretty quick turn around.
Another idea, I have a friend who bought himself a smaller CNC plasma cutter not too long ago. He started producing custom household decorative pieces. I'm sure you could do something similar.

I can't think of any projects off the top of my head, but here's an idea for you depending on how intricate your programming skills are....
I used to work for a shop probably 15 years ago or so now. They had an EZPath lathe and EZTrak Bridgeport. They had written a program for the Trak for every letter in the alphabet. What we would do is sit down at a desktop workstation, basically enter the text and dimensions, save it to floppy disc, then insert the disc into the drive behind the Trak. We were engraving part numbers and the like for tooling. If you were to be able to come up with something similar, I'd think it would be easy money and pretty quick turn around.
Another idea, I have a friend who bought himself a smaller CNC plasma cutter not too long ago. He started producing custom household decorative pieces. I'm sure you could do something similar.
My machine actually has engraving built in. All i have to fo is type it in and select size and font. Has tons of fonts to choose from. It also has automatic serial number sequencing.

Reactions: 1 users
A couple of things come to mind: boss 302, gt350, gt500, mustang, or if the name of their car (eleanor, christine, etc). I bought a shifter handle from a friend of a friend who is unfortunately no longer doing this. I think I paid about $50 for it (polished aluminum) w/o any engraving.

Another idea might be a radio delete plate or cover plate to hide the holes POs have put in the dash for more modern radios.

full.jpg

Machine is up and running. Vids and pics to follow soon hopefully. Working on some designs for Caliper mounting brackets, Radio delete plates, Shifters (short rippers and tall Hurst style) Air filter cover for my oval K&N filter, Maybe some alternator brackets.

Horse I also do woodworking so I am going to attempt a scaled down steering wheel and see how it goes. Does it mount the same? Are you using a standard steering column? Any dimensions and pics would be great. Would it be better to scale the steering wheel down all except for the center and be able to use the standard size horn button and current mount pattern?

View attachment 595240 Ok friends, I'm looking to retire (sort of) for the final time. First retirement = U.S. Air Force 1977 - 1997
Second and current = Machinist and welder 1997 til now. I bought a new CNC milling machine and need some ideas for products to make. Prototypes or similar to current products, fixtures. So I need ideas for things that will keep me busy. Doesn't even have to be car related. Thanks for looking. View attachment 595239
20171201_214808.jpg
20171201_214753.jpg

TOS, very nice, aren't they really pretty before you put a piece of steel in them? I think you need to make a nice website for one-off's, with a totally automatic machine you should be able to keep the cost down and stay busy. I'm doing my '66 F-100 right now, I'm sure I can throw you something this year. Shoot me an email so I can get in touch easily. [email protected] I'll spread the word you are looking for projects.

TOS, very nice, aren't they really pretty before you put a piece of steel in them? I think you need to make a nice website for one-off's, with a totally automatic machine you should be able to keep the cost down and stay busy. I'm doing my '66 F-100 right now, I'm sure I can throw you something this year. Shoot me an email so I can get in touch easily. [email protected] I'll spread the word you are looking for projects.

[email protected]

Thanks,