Looking for ideas to go from ordinary to extrodinary!

You know those little details that you don't necessarily notice right off the bat but you know something is different, the kind of stuff that makes a show car into a show winner, like those little touches that Foose is notable for. Not your typical lower the car and add big rims and Shelby Fiberglass kind of things that I already plan to do but stuff that is really the extra mile. I would love to not only here your thoughts but if you have before and/or after pics as well all the better. If it's an add on item then a good source for the parts is also appreciated.

Things I am currently considering prior to final paint prep on my car are as follows:

Shave door handles (who has a good remote kit)
Remove fender bolts, smoothen and hug up closer to body (requires re-chroming $$$$?)
Mold in body panels Front/rear valance, quarter panel extensions etc. (Pro's vs Con's in doing this????)
Electric windows (I hate to do this to only the front, does anyone make a rear kit for a 69?)
Shaved tail lights (I have seen this look sweet on a 68 but not sure how it would look on a 69 or even how to go about it for that matter?)
Relocate the antenna to the rear driver side
Custom billet style grill (home made as no one seems to make one)
Custom interior elements (still being determined, I am looking into a custom brushed aluminum on dash areas ala 67' deluxe)

So what have you all got up your sleeve that you care to share or comments/advice/tips on any of the above that I can use, Photochops also welcome.

Thanks,
Pak.

• Sponsors (?)

I personally am going to shave the antenna completely and go with either cd's only or route it inside a body panel. I also considered shaving the handles but I personally love the looks of them but I might shave the locks.

I shaved the door handles,or i should say,the bodyman made a mistake and did it,now it doesnt pass tech at the strip.As far as the kit,just buy the solenoids and thn get a alarm.I also shaved the antannae years back and use a hidden street rod antannae and all locks are shaved as well as badges

Pak, it looks like you got most of the good ones, but I gotta caution you about molding body panels like the trunk or headlight extensions. To do it correctly means either seam welding 'em together (the potmetal extensions are terrible to weld), or use fiberglass replacements (which may require making custom pieces).

Anyway, if you wanna impress people, make sure the fit and finish is right, and nail the stance. The rest is icing on the cake. And whatever you decide, make sure you think about how you plan to use the car. If it's a pure show car, then go full tilt with the custom mods. But if it'll see some driving and street duty, consider what might happen if the bumber gets a dented or an endcap gets dinged. Having to redo the paint on the entire quarter ('cause you had to break the welds to the endcap) to fix a dented/scratched endcap might piss you off. Know what I mean?

DarkBuddha definitely made some good points regarding body repair with smoothed seams. I have thought about the same even though my rockers, front valance, and rear valance are seamless. Nevertheless, I think it's worth the trouble for the appearance improvement. That being said, I think every seam possible should be smoothed, all emblems removed, all stripes painted on, and all needless ornamentation of any sort removed. Of course, those are old school mods. All of the mods you suggested Pak are cool.
Some other mods I have considered are as follows, some of which may be too much :shrug: :

1. Frenched turn signals and backup lamps.
2. Along the same lines, source later model or aftermarket turn signals and backup lamps, possibly even LED lights that you would mount non-conspicuously in the front and rear bumpers to do away with the appearance of even having turn signals and backup lamps.
3. Very subtle, professionally done, slight flaring of the factory fenders. Nothing looks worse than some gaudy aftermarket flares, but very subtle flaring is cool. Perhaps look at the wheel openings of other cars. For instance, I had a parts car Lincoln Versailles, and I noticed the wheel openings seemed to have more agressive flaring than my '65. Make sure they fit the bodylines of the car though. Yes, I am Captain Obvious. :D
4. Late model headlights. I've been trying to figure out what would work. I know the new VW Bug's headlights are not perfectly round. Are a Mini Cooper's headlights perfectly round? Any suggestions?
5. Frenched ducts in the front and rear valances, which could possibly be lifted from later models and molded in. Of course, subtlety is the key here since you don't want the ricer look.
6. A polished aluminum tail panel or overlay that would kind of balance out the billet grill on the front. I think this would look really cool, but I can't decide how it would work with Lemans stripes or the like. What do you guys think?
7. Although some may strongly disagree, remove the gas cap and replace it with a flush mount, flip-open panel. Screams clean IMO.
8. You may have mentioned this, but channel and section the bumpers so they absolutely fit the body lines. Painted or chrome is your choice, obviously, although I do wonder if painted bumpers would be cleaner if you do the billet grill and polished aluminum tailight panel. :shrug:
9. Shaved drip-rails, but you have a convertible so not necessary.
10. Smoothed over cowl vent area. From what I understand, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, the aftermarket AC systems don't use the cowl vents to draw in fresh air. If your cowl is in good shape, why not do away with the vents for protection sake and clean up appearance at the same time?
11. IMHO, one of the areas on a Classic Mustang you could probably improve the most is the interior. Sure, people don't see it when you're driving by at 60 mph, but they don't see those wheels you paid a lot of cash for either. I think a radically modernized interior is a show-stopper.
12. Finally, I'm going to refer back to Darkbuddha once again because he hit the nail on the head the first time around. He was absolutely correct when he stated that fit, finish, and stance are the most important things. You could incorporate every mod suggested in this thread but if you can't pull them off smoothly, your car will not garner the attention of other's cars who have the fit, finish, and stance we all envy.

That's my $.02, and I hope it is helpful and provides some ideas.

P.S. Sorry this post was so long. Be careful what you ask for!!!!!!

Just some ideas I came up with:

Aviation style cap for the gas- flush style
If you are carbed- plexi (engraved?) top for air cleaner at shows
Custom built center console
Ummm.. man it's too late for this.. I'll try and think of more tomorrow
Oh yeah- one more... try to jack the voice box outta an old 280 zx.. figure out the wiring and hook it up. Leave the lights on and it speaks "The lights are on"... or "Left door is open".... I dunno- I thought it was pretty cool in my daily driver and better than a buzzer

As 65 says - mod the lights. Mini Cooper headlights aren't round and are raked anyway. I suggest a halogen conversion, bin the H4 lamps and get a HID conversion. That way you get that cool bluey-white headlamp. LEDs have to be the way to go with turn signals, stop/tail and back-up lamps. On my 66 I'm (slowly) converting the stock rear lights to LED, the whole of the rear light will be a carpet of LEDs - when off it just looks stock, when you dab the brakes BAM! lots of red light. I'm working on a layout for the LEDs for something cool (look at an M3 BMW for an idea of cool), without looking crap. Like SN65, we gotta make these things look as if it was done by FoMoCo, not MoFoCo...

Just thought of something else for the headlights - check out sports bikes, some of those have funky headlights that are close to 7 inches round and have a finky clear lens. Not sure what you guys have over there, check 'em out

Pak,

This thread is right up my Alley.

One area overlooked by all is the interior. Don't just throw in gardets & do-dads, but come up with a plan to compliment the rest of the car. Have some custom upholstery done, put in a stripe or swatch of body color in the seats. Also maybe cut in a stripe of body-colored carpet in the rugs. Do something subtle, yet unique to the dash, definitely put in the factory Tach. Remember, you have a convertible, and the interior is open to all. Make that a focal point of the car. Here's an idea: Make the dash, doors, & console applique brushed aluminum like the 1967 Mustang deluxe dash. THAT will be unique and very appealing. Deluxe shifter handle is a Must.

Under hood, also avoid excessive chrome, body color paint is a nice touch, and also try the aluminum theme. Keep it clean, hide the wires.

One area that will put your car above the rest is the trunk. No one finishes a trunk, and when at a car show, a finished trunk is HUGE bonus points. Again, body-color theme, even make an insert for the spare rim with the car's color theme. Don't ust toss in a new mat, make the effort.

Just as you said, think like Foose, do like Foose.

I did all this with the Deceiver, the stripes went from gravel pan to gravel pan, including the interior rugs, and the finished carpeted trunk. All had the stripes, it really set the car off & got alot of compliments.

Take your time, make the car neat! Putting in a shaker scoop?

Put up some progress pics!

Dan

:Damnit: Cheapie stole most of my post! :D
Fit and finish is key IMHO. Weld up the door edges, so the gap is like a new car, make all the body lines line up just right, and do the same to the valances as the doors. If using a GT valance, get the tips fitted really well. 71 Mach gascap. Actually get the endcaps to fit, and very tightly at that. Make sure the QP extensions are gapped tight and fitted really well, trunk & hood fitted well too. Headlight buckets fitted as well as humanly possible, alnd hacked so the lines line up. Mod the stonegaurd pieces (upper and lower) to fit very tight against the bumper, and surrounding panels, and get the gap tight.

A very clean engine bay, without MSD boxes and crap sticking out, very understated engine dressup (I'm using all cast aluminum dressup pieces :D) No cheap/crappy aircleaner.

Shaker? Hood tach?

Delete the quarter panel vent thingy (that is the only thing that makes '69 verts ugly!) LED tailights, H4-bulb glass housing headlights with performance bulbs and relays. I'm digging the talking car 280ZX thingy too. :D Power antenna. Power winders and locks! They make rear window kits.

Put studs on the bumpers in place of exposed-head bumper bolts, and smooth them, then have them rechromed, and make sure they fit great.

I'm not a big fan of shaved handles, or taillights, they just don't look right on a street car. I'd look for a chrome 69 grille (over the counter option). Nobody makes a grille that looks right for a classic stang IMHO. Brushed Alum. dash is cool! :D

If you do fiberglass parts, like Shelby scoops, get them molded into the body, not just put on. If they get done by a great shop, you can't even tell it's the normal mail-order fiberglass when it's done, and it looks like it belongs, not tacked on, like most Shelby fiberglass looks when it's done.
HTH
--Kyle

don't shave the door handles, but do shave the lock cylnders and trunk lock as well. for the trunk release hook up an electric trunk latch like DB and I have done, and use a key fob remote to actuate it. most aftermarket alarm systems have a feature for the trunk release.

Here's something to make your car extraordinary!
mitzar2.JPG

Perhaps something that doesn't need saying, but get the wheels right. They make or break the car. If the wheels doesn't look right, all other improvements will basicly be a waste. If you have wheels that doesn't look right, people will just walk on by at the shows. It's the single most important component to nailing the stance. Just do it right.

I haven't researched it yet, but the '05 mustangs have round headlights like here. Maybe you could get lucky and they are 7" headlights and are removable?:shrug: I went with Cibie headlights which are the brightest available next to HID system but aren't really "trick" looking IMO.

You can buy sticky-backed brushed aluminum sheets online and you can cut to fit your woodgrain inserts. It might get a little difficult getting it to mold on the lip around the guage openings and clock though. Eliminate the gas cap all together and mount on in the trunk floor or hide it under the floor with a flip up lid. Pretty good ideas here.

Wow, lots of great feedback here, I'm going to try and touch base on them in order.

I have decided not to shave the handles as I like the look of any exterior chrome I can get my hands on. I like the idea of shaving just the lock cylinders though. Can anyone link me to a good alarm/kit that will take care of all this at once?

Since my car will always be a driver I am in agreement about skipping the molded in parts except for probably the side scoops. Being aware of future down sides is a good point, I will focus more on fitment instead. I would like to fill in the line between the rear quarters and the panel that connects them behind the trunk lid though, anyone know the one I mean and a reason why I shouldn't? I think I would still like to lose the bumper bolts and tuck them in closer but yikes is re-chroming expensive. Since my rear piece is slightly bent and the chrome will crack if straigthened I'm thinking I should just buy a new front and rear bumper for now, the front is nice but a few swirls so might as well make them both new, and then play with modding the old ones and if they come out good I can rechrome them anytime.

I'm not sure how you french things like signals, lamps and ducts but it sounds extreme. One thing I am dying to do is to add some type of vent(look) to the front fender between the door and the wheel well, kinda like the Ring Brothers do as made most popular probably by a 78'ish Trans Am/Z28, I had a seperate thread on it a while back, the ideal situation would be a set that looks like you see on a BMW Z3 but 3 gills instead of 4. Ijust think this would look so hot. I have come up with a quite a few options some even stick on but I DO NOT want to look ricey here at all. Any comments or thoughts? Here are some links to parts I have found online. As much work as it is I would really prefer the look of something that was patched into a cut fender to look molded in and not just an external piece.

http://www.erebunicorp.com/accessories.htm A variety of scoops here, the The GSS002 one is the only one I have seen exatly as the Z3, it would appear that I could cut it down to just 3 gills, how hard would it be to mold in though you think? The plastic units above the are interseting but they aren't quite the dimensions I am looking for.

http://www.ecarboutique.com/dodge/index.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=129 This company has a few options, the first I thought could look neat maybe in the chrome oval port piece not shown. Second one not an option as it is right side only, the third is a total faker piece but the most classic looking of all the stick on units I've seen, sure ain't cheap though. I had thought for a momment that I could modify the reflector with a Ford emblem of sorts to look stock but it feels british looking, the last unit for the dodge I thought had a very old school feel, almost vette-ish I don't know if it's too bulky though or not, to me anything with a triple line could have a ford feel to it though.

http://www.spiderautomotive.com/fenvenapkit.html Too modern but could look good in other applictions, interior or engine bay?

http://www.3dcarbon.com/p_FVENT.htm Made for an F150, so it is a Ford piece at least.

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.aspx/partfamilyid/1071/CategoryID/25/SubcategoryID/368 If, and that is a big IF I knew could trim of all the flange to leave just vents and still stick apply it so that it does not look like a JC Whitney POS then I could maybe live with something like this.

http://search.ebay.com/bmw-grill_W0QQfnuZ1 Last but not least is this M3 style that seems to be everyhwere, it's OK but to modern I think, cheap and easy though.

I would love to hear what you guys think about a fender vent option, good bad, whatever. Sorry, didn't mean to ramble on about vents but I seem to have a good audience of opinions before me.

That Spal kit sounds like what I need, any price info though? It's the only thing I have seen so far anyway, quite a unique design. I wonder if it would also work with something like this? http://www.autoloc.com/detail.lasso?itemid=EWS-S I think that price is just for the switch so it's pricey, but how cool is that?:nice:

Chepsk8, defintly gonna do some nice custom touches to the interior, no worry there, I mentioned most of what you did already in fact, I can't find thin brushed aluminum stock to work with though, ANYONE???????? The trunk will be detailed nicely too, minimal chrome on the engine also on the list, no shaker though, i like the look of the scoop better and I'm making it functional like a 68' CJ instead, would love to find a HOOD TACH though!!!!!!!

BTW Max, I agree totally which was the idea behind the way it was originally. Honestly though, the only thing special about it now though is it's a low mile rust free car, it'll never be original again and as a 3spd 302 it's not exactly a top feeder. Since the car should have been totalled and parted out, I think making it mildly but tastefully unique will enhance it's value more particularly if nothing is completely irriversable.

I have already chosen to go with 17" billet magnum 500's to accomodate my new 13" cobra brakes so I think I have no worries here, they should look fantastic!

I think headlights will be left alone but BUENING, where are these sticky-backed brushed aluminum sheets online that you speak of? Links please? The only source I found to play around with is a fake vinyl piece that actually looks like the real thing just under glass.

Sorry this is so long but you are guys are helping me out greatly!!!!!!:nice: :nice: :nice: :nice: The gears are really spinning now.

EDIT, oops one last thing, as opposed to modifying the Shelby rear deck lid and end caps to keep my stock lights or going with the Shelby tail panel and Shelby lights to make it easier I have been toying with another idea, tell me what you think. How would a custom tail panel look if I bought 6 pieces of round vette tail lights kind of like these and put three lights on each side instead of 2 to maintain the ford 3 light theme? Is this sacraligious?
http://usedcorvettesforsale.com/images/years/1963.jpg
1963.jpg

Attachments

• 1963.jpg
    1963.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 67
Pakrat said:
One thing I am dying to do is to add some type of vent(look) to the front fender between the door and the wheel well, kinda like the Ring Brothers do as made most popular probably by a 78'ish Trans Am/Z28, I had a seperate thread on it a while back, the ideal situation would be a set that looks like you see on a BMW Z3 but 3 gills instead of 4. Ijust think this would look so hot. I have come up with a quite a few options some even stick on but I DO NOT want to look ricey here at all. Any comments or thoughts?

EDIT, oops one last thing, as opposed to modifying the Shelby rear deck lid and end caps to keep my stock lights or going with the Shelby tail panel and Shelby lights to make it easier I have been toying with another idea, tell me what you think. How would a custom tail panel look if I bought 6 pieces of round vette tail lights kind of like these and put three lights on each side instead of 2 to maintain the ford 3 light theme? Is this sacraligious?

1963.jpg

You asked for opinions, so I have to state that I don't think the side vent thing is going to work. It might work if you wanted to do some other mods that would fit with the side vents, but for the most part it sounds like you're wanting to keep the body very stock appearing with the exception of the side vents and tail lights. I just don't see the side vents and/or tail lights blending in on a car with a fairly stock body. With that being said, I think you will go a long way towards your goal focusing on fit and finish.
It seems to me that the ideas tossed out here only confirmed in your mind that you want to keep the car fairly stock appearing, which is fine, but IMHO, if you go with some radical styling cues on an otherwise fairly stock body, they will stick out like a sore thumb. By the way, I'm not opposed to the tail light treatment you suggested and have considered the same myself, but I ultimately determined that the only way I would be able to pull off round tail lights would be going with some sort of Ford tail lights ar custom tail lights. I hope this helps. It's just an opinion, and we all know what opinions are like. :D

Attachments

• 1963.jpg
    1963.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 83