Looking for opinion on front coilovers

Mstng93SSP

You have a nice rear end there Dave.
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Mililani, Hawaii
My 1993 coupe currently has Bilstein front struts and rear shocks. I have Maximum Motorsports caster camber plates, and I am running the Eibach pro kit springs. On the rear I have Maximum Motorsports adjustable control arms (where you can adjust ride height via the spring perch). I am considering switching over to the maximum motorsports front coilovers. My car currently rides o.k., but I feel I will have better ride quality and handling with the coilovers. Will it be a noticeable enough difference to justify the cost (will be about $400)? Car is strictly a street car. I feel like it will and since the car already has the bilsteins and the caster camber plates it's not that much of a jump to go with the coilovers.

Thanks for any input.

Chris

PbPFL3.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised to see how much better the car rode when I changed to coil overs. It really did make a difference.

I went with 250lb front springs and then MMS recommended rear H&R conventional springs

Reactions: 1 user
Mine was such a long transition that I didn't drive it for months while working on it but even with stiffer springs on the coil overs than I had before them, it's still a better ride!

I didn't do the bumpsteer on the car currently so I would say it's not required but I plan to add it soon due to lowering the car quite a bit. The ride is so much better than stock coils. I run pretty stiff springs at 350lb bit the ride quality is that much better IMO.

I use their kit with 275lb springs.
Right quality is better.
Switch the rears to H&R springs when you do the coil overs. That was the real difference changer in ride quality. With what eibach and others do with the springs to lower the cars, one would think you have to stiffen the hell out of them to get them to work, apparently that's not how it works.

For bumpsteer, you have to have the car aligned, measure bump steer, adjust and have it aligned again.
My plan is to parallel things like steel1, if it feels good after an alignment, i'll leave it. If not, I have access to the tool and i'll measure.

If you set the arms parallel, make sure you reference the imaginary line between the pivot point of the balljoint and the control arm bushing. There is a slight difference in this line vs using the body of the A-arm.

I have the MM coil overs with a 175# spring (MM recommendation) with Tokico Illumina 5 way adjustable front struts. I wanted good ride comfort with good street performance. This setup paired out back with Cobra IRS and IRS stock springs and Bilsteins is an awesome ride and handles great in the turns.

I did everything MM told me to do.

Reactions: 2 users
I went from terrible shocks and springs the previous owner installed for drag racing (and without a sway bar) to the MM coilover package with 350# front and 250# rear springs. The car handles exceptionally well, but also lets you know how terrible the roads are that you didn't notice before. I actually pulling these springs for track only and moving to more of a 250# front and ???# rear soon so I can enjoy the drive and not wear whatever I'm drinking.

MM recommends the rear coil over spring rates be 150-125 lb less than front.

Lowest rate rear spring they have is 175#.

That really means if you want to keep rear coil overs, you’ll have to use 175# rear with 300-325# front springs. Any less will require a conventional spring setup.

MM recommends the rear coil over spring rates be 150-125 lb less than front.

Lowest rate rear spring they have is 175#.

That really means if you want to keep rear coil overs, you’ll have to use 175# rear with 300-325# front springs. Any less will require a conventional spring setup.
Exactly. I wanted to buy coil overs for my IRS and MM said NO! I love their honesty and they set me up right. They recommended the stock IRS spring with a coil cut to get the ride height that I desired. It all worked perfectly. It's all about pairing the front and back.

I would've had to get a way stiffer spring up front in order to get coil overs out back which would've resulted in a very rigid suspension setup.
The roads are :poo:ty where I live due to freezing winters so ride comfort is priority #1 for me.